Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone 4.5" lift installed today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Zone 4.5" lift installed today.

Well, took the shop a little longer than I thought. But, it's done. I live in a condo, so I can't so the install myself. Easier to just have a shop do it.

Here is what I had installed. The Zone 4.5" lift. With the add-a-leaf kit. I went with the nitro shocks, and the Moog SSD107 steering shock. The monster/trail one (found it for $40 new/shipped).

The steering shock is an approvement over the factory one. Even the wife noticed! The factory one wasn't bad. But, the new one is a monster.

The lift is actually a better ride than when I had the budget boost on it (front spacer, rear add-a-leaf). The Zone add-a-leaf is actually thinner and longer than the budget boost one. The kit also came with brackets (lack of a better word) that wrapped around the leaf pack. Made it look cleaner. The rear also came with longer hangers, new u-bolts, new brake lines, etc.

The front has the coil, nitro shocks, drop sway bar brackets. Looks clean. All black (coils, shocks, etc).

He charged me to spray the leafs, under the fender wheels (all four sides) with rubber black paint. Cost $50. Wasn't bad I guess. It looks better.

Verdict? The ride isn't bad. All the bumps and pot holes are soft. It does seem to move a little more than other lifts I have had. But, the trade off is the bumps are softer. They did a good job on that. I haven't take it offroad yet.

Small vib on the floor board. Probably from lift. I didn't go with a SYE. But, the vib is really small. I mean really small. I actually think I had more of a vib on the wrangler 4" suspension, 2" body lift and SYE than the cherokee. So, good news there.

Inconclusion, I am hapy with the lift on the first day driving it home.

Question, they did remove the rear sway bar. I assume that has to go with a lift?

Any questions, ask away. Yes, the 30" tires on there will be replaced shortly.

Last edited by CrawlerXJ; 06-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Looks good and your 1st experience is positive. It's 2 wins so far.
Yes the rear sway bar should go for articulation.
Yes Question: did the install shop perform adjustments to steering geometry, example toe and caster.
A lack of caster can lead to wobble. Did the system come with longer lower control arms to put the caster back in the geometry?
Toe should be about 1/16" toe inward, else could lead to uneven tire wear patterns.
Some good reading in "gojeep.com", site can be difficult to get to but has a lot with nice write ups on front end geometry.
You have a Nice looking XJ!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by peep
Looks good and your 1st experience is positive. It's 2 wins so far.
Yes the rear sway bar should go for articulation.
Yes Question: did the install shop perform adjustments to steering geometry, example toe and caster.
A lack of caster can lead to wobble. Did the system come with longer lower control arms to put the caster back in the geometry?
Toe should be about 1/16" toe inward, else could lead to uneven tire wear patterns.
Some good reading in "gojeep.com", site can be difficult to get to but has a lot with nice write ups on front end geometry.
You have a Nice looking XJ!
Yes, labor was $300 and it included an alignment. While it wasn't a laser alignment (they did it the old way). They did do it. I had it up to 70mph and no DW with factory steering dampner on it. Although, UPS brought my Moog steering dampner, so I put it on. Took it for a spin around the block. Same. No DW.

Thanks! I will add 32" (265/75/16) and some black wheels next.

Last edited by CrawlerXJ; 06-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I like it. That'll look great with the new tires on there.

Did you paint your fender flairs and end caps?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I ordered this kit last week,glad to hear your enjoying it.

How was the quality of everything?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Flowpro
I like it. That'll look great with the new tires on there.

Did you paint your fender flairs and end caps?
Agree. Ill probably go with 32" tires (265/75/16). I like the Dura trac I had on the wrangler.

The installer painted only the wheel well, and leaf springs. Used rubber paint he said. Charged me $50. Wasn't bad since he had the lift off, didn't get any over spray on anything. Charged me $300 to install lift, included alignment. Overall, the shop is good. They have done the last 7 trucks/suv's I have had through the years. Same owner, same location since 1981 if I remember.

Originally Posted by zjjerk
I ordered this kit last week,glad to hear your enjoying it.

How was the quality of everything?
I had a shop do it. But, from what I see, it really looks good. Until someone says different. But, yes, the quality looks good. And good attention to detail.

$470 kit w/nitro shocks and swag stuff (shirts, hats, etc)
$300 labor & alignment
$50 painted fender wells with rubber black paint
Priceless - smile on my face as I looked at my wife at the stop light

Last edited by CrawlerXJ; 06-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.