Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ Door Disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ Door Disconnect?

Looking to remove the doors on nice summer days is there a easy way to do this? I have power windows and doors.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

There are lots of threads on going doorless, but I wouldn't really call it easy. By the way, welcome to CF!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flybridge
Looking to remove the doors on nice summer days is there a easy way to do this? I have power windows and doors.

Thanks
I just did this on my 2000 xj last weekend. I wouldn't call it a major project. Kind of a no brainer if you have a dremel, chisel and a hammer. After all said and done , removing them and putting back on is a bit of a pain. You have to chisel the rubber sleeve off of the pins to expose them, then cut them in half with a dremmel. After they are cut you have to struggle a bit to bang them out. I also have power windows and locks. If you remove the kick panel (the panel where the hood release is on the driver side, and where the fuse panel is on the passenger) you have acces to all the disconects. I cut and removed the rubber that connects from the inside to the door where the wires go through. That exposes a big hole where you could feed the wires after disconecting them. As far as reinstalling the doors the pin holes on the doors are 5/16 and the pinholes on the hinges are 3/8. I drilled them out to be 3/8 on both and I am using a 3/8 x 2.5in pin that I got from home depot. I then used a grinder to cut off the head of the pin on one side to slide it in from the top. (Or you could just use a different pin that has a narrower head). As far as sag, yes they will sag a bit when open, but they align good on my Jeep when closed.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Thanks
We need to know what year your Jeep is. The hinges are different on the later models...

Hinges look like this?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/re...y-cheap-90496/

Last edited by Lowrange2; 03-19-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM

My Jeep is a '96
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Jeep is a '96
OOps. My instructions are not accurate then. But I heard its suppose to be easier on the older models.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 stroked to 4.7

I did this on my 94. I have crank doors tho. And i moved the speaker to the kick panel (easy mod from my car audio days) also threw together some tube doors. So i could take it into town and not worry about getting picked on by cops. If you can get the doors off by unbolting them, it makes it a lot easier to hack the hinge up. Once you take them on and off 100+ times it becomes fairly easy. ...just make sure you remember to put the doors back on when theres still daylight! If you need any pics and cannot find them just Let me know.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Year: 97
Engine: I6 4.0L

Hey guys I have a 97 with older model hinges (made early 97) and I'm not sure which wiring. I got through the front left door but I got to the passenger ad can't quite figure out what to do with all the wiring in the way. I understand you gotta unplug the ones that go to the door but I can't even reach one of the plugs. Any ideas or tips?

I have power windows and locks
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.6 stroker

There is a guy on the home brew mods that used the door disco from a ZJ that looks to b the best way to do the power connection on removable doors
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Year: 96
Engine: I6

I have a 96 and this is how i did it.
First you take your drivers side lock and window control and mount it on the dash some where. mine is under to the left of my steering column. run the respective wires to your drivers door with a quick disconnect at the hinge area. On the passenger side its not necessary to mess with since there is already a quick dis con plug .
Next chop the hinges with a grinding wheel or a dremel . There are lots of threads on this as well if you want pics.
The doors come off and all pow win and lock functions on the rear still work when you relocate the control box to the dash.

add disconects to the wires in the rear doors and fix hinges same way. then all 4 are removable easily.
the idea is to make each door have one plug that disconects instead of a mess of wires.

Last edited by courtney42; 03-21-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 AM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Year: 97
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by courtney42
I have a 96 and this is how i did it.
First you take your drivers side lock and window control and mount it on the dash some where. mine is under to the left of my steering column. run the respective wires to your drivers door with a quick disconnect at the hinge area. On the passenger side its not necessary to mess with since there is already a quick dis con plug .
Next chop the hinges with a grinding wheel or a dremel . There are lots of threads on this as well if you want pics.
The doors come off and all pow win and lock functions on the rear still work when you relocate the control box to the dash.

add disconects to the wires in the rear doors and fix hinges same way. then all 4 are removable easily.
the idea is to make each door have one plug that disconects instead of a mess of wires.
That's clever! I got stuck when I looked at the fuse panel. I tried to get to the disconnects for the right door but couldnt get my fingers in there haha (with the kick panel off) The left door had 3 disconnects. Is that diff than yours? Maybe cuz mine is a 97.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM

ill take some pics for you of my set up. Reminds me , i need to redo my hinges. Some of them are not the OE pins and are letting the door sag a little to much.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 PM

1996 XJ
Here is my set up. First pic is relocated controls , second is d-side one plug!

last pic is the passenger side under the kick panel there was this big black disconnect so i didn't have to mess with it all . just unplug it and feed it through the hole when taking the doors off.

Last edited by courtney42; 03-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.