Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xj build

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Xj build

Hello I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. It has the 4.0. I am trying to find out what I can do for more power and really to make it unstoppable. My friend had done a ls swap and I was thinking about that but I have also heard to look at 505 performance and get a stroked 4.0. I want to put a long arm kit with a bigger lift with a better rear end I want to customize the whole thing any comments would be great. Thanks

Last edited by History Maker; 10-16-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Tbh, the 4.0 I6 is darn near bullet proof as is. Most people I know around here leave the motor stock, with exception of maybe motor mounts. Have only had one jeep out of three fail an engine, and that's cuz it had a rod knock before I got it, and I drove it increasingly louder for almost 3k miles before it crapped itself. I would lean more to getting gearing before a motor upgrade.

It's got a great low end torque, and unless you are racing it, then it's more than capable in 4 low 3rd gear (90% of my Jeeping is done in 3rd gear in 4low)

Last edited by SirCyber; 10-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM

Thank you so much for replying I love my jeep but I was just wanting more I like to go wherever I want to go and not get stuck or have any problem getting through. What would you recommend me do with my jeep
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Drive train and suspension. I will point you to the suspension, tires, and low COG stickies here. My personal goal is to build as low as possible with as big a tire as I can with as much suspension droop as I can. But that's me, here in Washington state. Your wheeling may differ where you are at. Towards the bottom of the main page is different regional wheeling areas.
As a general rule, 2-4"" and 33's will get you addicted. After you wheel a bit on that your needs will start taking shape. Also, definitely, make sure your coolant system is in good shape. Been through to many radiators myself, it's a hard lesson learned.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Ya I am in North Carolina what would you recommend I do with the suspension and tranny and what can I do with the motor just to get the full power or to gain any power I can out of it and I am running 32 with 300 Chrysler rims. I personally want to change the rims because they are so heavy and what do you mean with your suspension do you mean losing the jeep or what
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Motor swaps/strokers are not for everyone. It is costly, and can be finicky, especially a swap. If not done to the letter, it can be a ***** to get it right, plus, a swap like that means new trans, TC, or some serious money in adapters, depending on the setup being run. Strokers are friendlier as same platform, but can also get pricey...especially after install, you need to run premium fuel, so factor that in as well, and lifespan will be shortened...Cyber has some good advice above...start reading. You need to educate yourself on what's sounding like a large amount of heavy mods. None of which are cheap.

Here's a link to a website with some good reading on strokers...

https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

What's your budget?

Also, my suggestion to you is to go wheel your jeep as is. You'll be shocked how capable it is. Take it on the kind of terrain you will be wheeling on mainly. After that, determine what needs to change to get over the obstacles you had trouble with, and formulate a plan. Start with armor and recovery before anything else.

You stated you want to "go wherever I want to go and not get stuck or have any problem getting through"....sorry, but no amount of mods or money thrown at a vehicle will do this. Offroad, all bets are off. Modified setups help with things, but nothing beats knowing how to drive and having a good spotter...long story short, everyone gets stuck, even the pros...and they have top-notch race rigs and superior driving skills.

My final suggestion is to be patient. Do your research. Take your time. None of this comes cheap or easy, it costs money and takes time.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds to me like the best thing would be to learn the hobby and start reading up on other builds. I have to also agree with Roni and that is that nothing beats seat-time. It's a great feeling when you have much less money into your rig versus these guys who drop their JK's off to be "built" and you wheel right on past their stuck asses because they can't buy driver skill.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

....and no amount of money or skill can prevent getting in a pinch on trail. It happens to the best of them, everyone gets stuck eventually haha
Old 10-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
It's a great feeling when you have much less money into your rig versus these guys who drop their JK's off to be "built" and you wheel right on past their stuck asses because they can't buy driver skill.
Or pulling lifted race rigs, or big lifted full sized trucks, Hummers, etc out of deep mud holes
Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 PM

Thank you guys on the comments it helps a lot. I don’t do a lot of rock crawling but I do like to flex my jeep out a lot and take it through the woods we’re normal vehicles can’t go. What would you guys recommend I do even if I just put a comp cam kit in and striker kit. Or should I leave it stock? The only reason I ask is because I went 4 wheelin the other day and got the jeep stuck while my buddy in his built and lifted f150 passed me with no problems. And I thought that would never happen again. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-17-2017, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Throw some good mud tires on and a front and rear locker, then you will be passing that f150.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 PM

How bad is it to install lockers
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Agreed. The issue isn't the motor, it's suspension, drive train, and tires
Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Ok so what can I do for the drivetrain and I just wanted to upgrade the motor so it was stronger it sounds like it Boggs down when under a load
Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Because it has 33s