Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output
Default Window tint

Ok so i want to get my windows tinted for various reasons and the guy i decided on using said that 5% is really dark at night and could be bad when it gets dark or rains etc... Legally i have to do 35% in the front and i can do whatever on the rest just wondering who has 5% and is it really that dark? Next would be 15% if i dont like. So im looking for any pics of 5% and 15% inside and out and what you like dislike about your tint. Also he has a special film and i was given a demonstration of how it acts with heat, he had a piece of glass and had no tint regular cheap tint other competitors tints from around the area and the tint he has that reduces heat in the car. You could feel the heat from the heat lamp clearly from about 6 inches away with the back of your hand and then he out it behind the clear and went to down to the special tint he uses and it was insane the difference between the amounts of heat and how it was only 20 bucks more for the jeep. Also any pics of how the 35% blends with the 5% on the jeep. Thanks, guys!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

5% tint is really dark at night especially if your not use to it, Almost all of my vehicles have had 5% my buddy is a tinter upnorth and he just did 5% on his windshield and double 5 on his windows give me a couple mins ill post pics
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I figured it would have been pretty dark at night which was something I was kind of against because I drive at night after work. I don't think anyone wants to drive around in a vehicle you can't see out of. 5 on the windshield is dark and double that on the rear is dark as sin lol
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Ok so i want to get my windows tinted for various reasons and the guy i decided on using said that 5% is really dark at night and could be bad when it gets dark or rains etc... Legally i have to do 35% in the front and i can do whatever on the rest just wondering who has 5% and is it really that dark? Next would be 15% if i dont like. So im looking for any pics of 5% and 15% inside and out and what you like dislike about your tint. Also he has a special film and i was given a demonstration of how it acts with heat, he had a piece of glass and had no tint regular cheap tint other competitors tints from around the area and the tint he has that reduces heat in the car. You could feel the heat from the heat lamp clearly from about 6 inches away with the back of your hand and then he out it behind the clear and went to down to the special tint he uses and it was insane the difference between the amounts of heat and how it was only 20 bucks more for the jeep. Also any pics of how the 35% blends with the 5% on the jeep. Thanks, guys!
I run 18% on all windows but front. Still cant see out back glass good at night though. Even regular cheap tint will help with heat. The percentages mean how much light can penetrate through the film. So 5% tint only allows 5% of light to go through. So saying that, at night with no light how dark u think its going to be. Even 35% is semi hard to see out of in pitch black back roads. City driving is a diff story.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Year: 1991

look at my pics. the rear is 5% and front is 35% i will go ahead and tell you 35 is way to light. go with a 20 to be on the safer side
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

I agree with Zab 20 % is good . The 5% is great but prolly will get you pulled over and is hard to adjust to at night
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I highly recommend staying legal up front and then doing no more than 15 in the back. 20 is probably a good compromise. I have had my tint tested on several occasions in GA and I got a ticket once.