Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get my jeep repainted

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Hey all. I've been planning on repainting my jeep for a while now. I'm just curious to see what you guys would recommend as far as prep work/application. I bedlined my floor and felt like that was straightforward. But when it comes to the outside i want it to look pretty nice in the end (obviously). If you would recommend getting it painted up somewhere where would it be? I've heard mixed opinions on Maaco. Whatcha got?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what your expectations are. I've seen the Maaco jobs and I wouldn't get any vehicle that I valued painted by a shop like that. If it's just a beater that you take out and have fun with then it may be ok. I have a local shop that I use for any body work and I won't go anywhere else. They do it right the first time and I've never been disappointed by their work. You get what you pay for when it comes to body work.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"pretty nice" is ~ 5k & up at most places for 1 color.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Yea I mean if I put the money down it should look good, cause I don't have a problem doing it myself. My rig is mostly a daily driver, I like to wheel here and there but I don't know of many good spots anyways. I was thinking of going with a flat desert tan. I've seen some builds on the NAXJA forums with that color and I must say it looks pretty dang good. I'm getting tired of the black paint all scratched and faded from top to bottom.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM

@Turbo X_J I could find a lot of better things to do with 5K on my jeep than a paint job lol
Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

put an ad on CL for a painter, everyone does side work... ask for portfolio etc and don't put any money up front... pending on your body work you could get a two stage mirrored paint job for under 1K easy, including materials.....

in a shop with overhead you're easily looking at 3K...

I've painted some classics and once took a notchback in for an estimate on blocked out body work..... 3K for the body work alone...

did the body work, blocked it and painted it myself with PPG two stage, the paint alone was $500 and that was with a discount, paint job afterward was easily a 5-6K at any pro shop...

but this is a jeep, blocking it would be ludicrous

Last edited by DieselDaze; 12-21-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How are you going to use the jeep tho?If its going off road any paint job is gonna get messed up over time.Maaco isn't bad for a daily driver or off roader or you could plasti dip it yourself at home.Or some use bed liner up to the belt line to protect the body from trail rash.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:46 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Maaco is not really too bad as long as you do the prep work yourself, and do it right. A friend of mine works at maaco and he recently painted his xj and it only cost him like 300 in materials. Sure it has a few runs, but its the only plum crazy purple xj that we know of
Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Isn't Miracle Auto Painting still around?

We used to kid around that their slogan was " If it looks good, it's a Miracle"

Them, and Earl Scheib. :.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 PM

@andrewmp6 I don't really go mudding or crawling. I do enjoy riding trails and such. I'm not really one to 'molest' my jeep haha. Although once I get a designated daily driver that will all change. I've seen rigs that are completely bedlined, they look good for the most part but that's not for me. I've also seen rigs (some wranglers) painted with monstaliner. Now I know they have tintable kits, maybe someone on here has gone this route?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BlackMambaXJ
@andrewmp6 I don't really go mudding or crawling. I do enjoy riding trails and such. I'm not really one to 'molest' my jeep haha. Although once I get a designated daily driver that will all change. I've seen rigs that are completely bedlined, they look good for the most part but that's not for me. I've also seen rigs (some wranglers) painted with monstaliner. Now I know they have tintable kits, maybe someone on here has gone this route?
Yep. There's a guy on JF that did his XJ in Smurfadelic blue monstaliner. Let me try to find you a picture.

Where to get my jeep repainted-mdifyaf.jpg
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

$150 or less you can paint it yourself with Krylon Desert tan.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Wow I gotta admit that monstaliner looks great...even in smurf blue haha. I checked out their website and even saw a thread on JeepForum full of jeeps painted with this. Looks like I'm going to go with a desert tan colored monstaliner kit for the jeep and possibly some black for the rocker panels. Gonna start searching for some write-ups as far as prep goes for this idea. What do y'all think? Love hearing some input while I think this through
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BlackMambaXJ
Wow I gotta admit that monstaliner looks great...even in smurf blue haha. I checked out their website and even saw a thread on JeepForum full of jeeps painted with this. Looks like I'm going to go with a desert tan colored monstaliner kit for the jeep and possibly some black for the rocker panels. Gonna start searching for some write-ups as far as prep goes for this idea. What do y'all think? Love hearing some input while I think this through
Seems good. The cool thing about Monstaliner is you can adjust the texture based on how you apply it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you spray the Monstaliner on or is it roll on only?

Quick Reply: Where to get my jeep repainted