Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wheel Spacers Discussion

I did some searching through the site and found a lot of threads on spacers but none with the info I'm looking for. If this discussion is ongoing in another thread, my apologies and please redirect me.
What I'm looking for is some discussion/research on the use of spacers. Specifically, has anyone ever heard of a "tire flying off" or some other problem with their use. I know lots of us (I have been using them for 4-5 months now) have been using them without a problem. I've seen discussions on FB and other places where guys are warning of all the dire consequences. If there have been any dire consequences, I'd really appreciate seeing them documented. Not trying to start anything, I'm actually very curious about it and I would give such documentation a thorough evaluation. Most of what I've seen, however, is just guys giving their opinion which is fine. Just hoping to see if those opinions have been backed up at all.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Personal experience; had a set in front and back for a year, then only in back for an additional year. No issues. I just double check the torque on them whenever I rotate my tires. Haven't had any loose nuts so far.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Spacers or adapters ?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Spacers or adapters ?
Yes. Mine are adapters but pretty much the same thing. 2" billet aluminum.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Spacers slide over existing wheel studs. Adapters use your studs and new studs that do not go thru the steel axle flange they are inserted tnto the body of the spacer . To me adapters are just a accident waiting to happen. Longer wheel studs thru the axle shaft then the spacer over them is much safer set up. Getting new rims with proper offset is the safest setup there is.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

To me, a spacer that is just sandwiched between the rotor and the wheel is more prone to cause damage than one with its own studs (or adapters).

I ran spacers with my old 31's for about two years and have run adapters with my 33's for 3-4 months. The only problem I've had with them was my own fault. I had neglected to tighten one of my spacers down with a breaker bar (it was only as tight as my impact drill put it) and after a few days of driving it began to come loose. It happened during a long 4 hour drive, it began to thump but I idioticly continued driving on it :brick wall:: brickwall::brickw all: It kept coming looser and destroyed my brake and two lugs before I got home. After that I was very careful to keep them very tight and haven't had any issues. Tighten them about 10 days after you put them on and at every tire rotation and you'll be good
Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I still have a set of spidertrax bolt on spacers on my tj, been on for 5 yrs 30k miles....no problems. Just check them when u rotate tires. Never had any lugs loose.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
The only problem I've had with them was my own fault. I had neglected to tighten one of my spacers down with a breaker bar (it was only as tight as my impact drill put it) and after a few days of driving it began to come loose.
I'm pretty sure you intended to post "accurate torque wrench", at least I hope that's what you meant. Breaker bars are for breaking loose fasteners, not tightening.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I'm pretty sure you intended to post "accurate torque wrench", at least I hope that's what you meant. Breaker bars are for breaking loose fasteners, not tightening.
I'm pretty sure not using a torque wrench was his problem in the first place.....
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Certain states see spacer and adapters differently.....http://www.ehow.com/facts_7611980_wh...s-illegal.html
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

I appreciate the comments both pro and con. If there's any out there, I'd like to see some pics of some that might have failed or had a problem. I've heard lots of stories of the ones that have been on for years and never had a problem.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

You will have zero issues with a quality wheel adapter that that is properly torqued. Ever seen the front end of a dual rear wheel truck? There are tons of vehicles that have wheel spacers from the factory that are on the road with no issues. Why would an aftermarket one on a jeep be any different? Likely the only issue you will see is premature wheel bearing or ball joint failure from the increased offset.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you buy good ones and install them right they should be fine,Most problems i seen was a cheapo set off ebay or installed wrong.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

The bad rep comes from people who don't install them right or check up on them every so often, a spacer will put the same amount of force and wear as a well back spaced wheel. Any wheel or spacer that pushes it farther from the unit bearing and ball joints will cause wear
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Spydertrax 1.25 for over 250000+ km
torque em 100 ft lb
use antiseize, your friend, easy future service
torque em, 100 ft lb
works to keep my 31's from rubbing lower control arm at full turn
did I remind u to torque em?
Remember after changing wheels, retorque your wheels within a couple days, or if youve been rowdy off road, check your torque
I think if your getting spacers 2" or more then the earlier recommendation of new rims with more appropriate offset is best advice.
Don't add spacers over your stock studs, as earlier advised, longer studs are required.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Spacers Discussion-img_2088.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers Discussion