Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel came off on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wheel came off on the road

Hey guys I'm stumped on this. I was driving my jeep today, iced roads and I was driving up a road when I heard a loud pop while getting on the gas. Tire was slipping heavily. Thought nothing of it. As I'm headed down the road, I hear loud popping again. Pulled over and didn't see anything right away. I get another 5 miles and my wheel falls off. No damage anywhere. The drum is fine, axles are intact, and wheel is fine just some minor scratches on the inside of the wheel. The drum was slipping off a little so I popped it on and had no problems. Any ideas? I just want to make sure it won't happen again.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Glad you're ok.

Where were/what happened to the lug nuts?

You mentioned that the drum was slipping off a little so you popped it on and had no problems. Does that mean you also remounted the wheel? Were the lug nuts intact? Still on the studs? Scattered on the road?

If you were able to remount the wheel, did you check for bearing issues while you had that wheel mounted but still in the air by trying to wiggle the wheel back and forth as well as up and down?

When was the last time that wheel was messed with in any way? Tire rotation, brake work, etc.?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:18 PM

Studs were intact and lugs were on the road intact. Weren't stripped at all. Before I stopped to get gas and wiggled the tire on the ground and heard popping. I didn't check whilenjt was in the air but checked again on the ground. No popping or any strange sound. I gave the bearings and pads a quick glance. Everything seems intact. Still confused. Might as well add, it does have about a 4 inch skyjacker lift and aftermarket wheels and tires. Stock axles and brakes that I'm aware of.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Aluminum or steel wheels?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

My rear wheel has Fallin off before. Not sure why. They were steel rims. And hadn't been messed with for who knows how long. Just fell off while goin down the road one day. Put it back on. Been good since then. That was a year ago.

Also got aluminum wheels later on and the front wheel fell off as well. Not sure why. I always torque my lugs. It came off about a year after the first incident with the steel wheels. I have just learned to always retorque he wheels after a little driving. No problems since.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel came off on the road-photo707.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Good to know. I drove half a mile after putting it on and torqued it down one last time. No problems getting home. I will be sure to check it every so often
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

That is one of the items that is on my quite long list of things to tighten after going off road every time, there is always something that has loosened up a bit.

This is just one of many things that I learned yrs. ago here on this forum, had not thought of it before for the Jeep. But found out it is as bad as a race car for things to check to keep from having problems.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Are the lug nuts youre running the proper thread for the studs? Running the wrong thread/pitch could allow you to tighten the lug nuts but not have enough thread engagement to stay tight while driving and under normal use.

Just something else to investigate.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Do you use an actual torque wrench to tighten your wheels or the ol german torque spec? Overtorqued studs are pretty much junk and won't hold torque like they should when properly torqued. Are you the guy that puts anti-seize on lug studs? If so, they're now garbage from being overtorqued. I'd check your lug nuts and the studs out and see if they're just worn out.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 01-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Do you use an actual torque wrench to tighten your wheels or the ol german torque spec? Overtorqued studs are pretty much junk and won't hold torque like they should when properly torqued. Are you the guy that puts anti-seize on lug studs? If so, they're now garbage from being overtorqued. I'd check your lug nuts and the studs out and see if they're just worn out.
Also valid points. After a mishap like that spend the money to get new studs and lug nuts. Relatively cheap insurance.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 PM

Year: 1997

R u running wheel spacers and make sure it is the proper lug nut for the wheel some r flat some r beveled may not be getting as tight as what the ol breaker bar is telling u lol had the wrong lug nuts once on a set of wheels caused slop between the hub and wheel and some wheel spacers can cause problems
Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jt_aleshire
R u running wheel spacers and make sure it is the proper lug nut for the wheel some r flat some r beveled may not be getting as tight as what the ol breaker bar is telling u lol had the wrong lug nuts once on a set of wheels caused slop between the hub and wheel and some wheel spacers can cause problems

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM

I am not running wheel spacers. And I am going to purchase some new studs and lugs before I go out next.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99

i could be mistaken but i think steel wheels vs aluminum use different lug nuts. Any chance your mixing the two?

x2 on the over torque
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Attached Thumbnails Wheel came off on the road-photo541.jpg