Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats better for crawlin in a XJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Talking whats better for crawlin in a XJ

Hey every one im new to the whole Jeep thing and looking to buy a cherokee here soon and every vehicle is different when climbing. so with a jeep what would be better for some good ol rock crawlin an automatic or manual. im going to go with a 6" lift on 33s and i live in NV less than an hr from the Rubicon trails and some other good trails near by so also will be lookin for some people to go with
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I would have to guess a manual just because you don't have the torque converter that can slip (and under heavy load like rock crawling, burn up)
Also, if you manage to overheat a manual, you are doing something wrong, automatics are easy to overheat.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I vote auto.

You can rebuild torque converters, and make them much stronger.

If you have a manual you'll burn up your clutch just as fast as your torque converter, not to mention the chance of constantly stalling the truck.

Autos are a bit smoother for those reasons, so for rock crawling I feel they are better.

Mud, though, a bit different. You can't do neutral drops very often in autos like you can with manuals without exploding your trans.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i have a manual tj and auto xj. the xj is nicer in the rocks and climbing for sure. but the tj is nicer when going down steep hills.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM

ya i thought auto would be smoother for crawling its just said that auto takes away a lot of HP and torq from an engine so wasnt sure and i have a s10 with a 6" lift and is manual and that was an issue burning the clutch and stalling to much
Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

if your going to be doing a lot of rock crawling i would suggest 4.5" on 33's. Lower center of gravity is the cool thing nowadays
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM

really a 4.5 how well does it tuck when its flexed out over some rugged trails pry wont be much difference being 2" and is cheaper
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by xtremechevy
really a 4.5 how well does it tuck when its flexed out over some rugged trails pry wont be much difference being 2" and is cheaper
\

For rock crawling lower is better, 45% side hills suck in a tall narrow rig. I'm planning on 35s on 3 or 4 inches of lift.

The auto is the best for rock crawling, the torque converter doesn't take away torque it multiplies torque, it is like a 2 to 1 advantage. For crawl ratios an auto needs to be about 40 to 1 or better, a manual needs to be at least 50 to 1 and should be 75 to 1 or better for serious rock crawling.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM

some good infor to know thanks ill have to look into some 4.5 lifts and keep an eye out for an auto when i buy an XJ

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
\

For rock crawling lower is better, 45% side hills suck in a tall narrow rig. I'm planning on 35s on 3 or 4 inches of lift.

The auto is the best for rock crawling, the torque converter doesn't take away torque it multiplies torque, it is like a 2 to 1 advantage. For crawl ratios an auto needs to be about 40 to 1 or better, a manual needs to be at least 50 to 1 and should be 75 to 1 or better for serious rock crawling.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

im no expert mechanic or anything so im not goin to get into that but in our group we have 5 xjs, 2 manuals and 3 autos. in my observation the autos slip on rocks and when climbing alot more than the manuals do... just what i have seen
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by xtremechevy
some good infor to know thanks ill have to look into some 4.5 lifts and keep an eye out for an auto when i buy an XJ
x2

I was looking at Rubicon RE6200 on 33" but now i might have to consider a 4.5" instead.

forgive me for the hijack.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

low is the new high
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

It is all preference, the end result is the same (vehicle moves) but do/can you handle being stopped on an obstacle in a manual and going without rolling out of your line?

torque converter/clutch. both can go bad. but a clutch is a wearing part, a torque converter is not.

auto's stop and go with less driver effort, however if you start to go nose high or are in a position to where you need to be in neutral in order not to roll a manual is better(faster). it really depends on YOU.

but i think auto's are better for me. i like the ease. Ive wheeled both. love both. but i feel like a manual is more work, and i do more then enough of that already.... just my thoughts.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few buddies that swear by there manual's, If you gear them low enough, you NEVER touch the clutch. If you do a 5spd with an Atlas t-case, you would be good to go.

I personally love my Automatic though, it's so much easier to control.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM

ya it seems it would be user preference and i think i would feel the same way its more work trying to keep control of a manual and alot easier and smoother for an auto and lets you concentrate on the terrain and not have to worry about stalling in a critical moment cuz when it come down to it you really need to control your braking and throttle. yet i do agree if you are geared low enough in a manual its not much of a problem cuz i remember in my toyota it was geared low dual t case and at an idle it would climb and didnt have to use the clutch but hey thats a toy....

so not to get to off topic with this tread if i went with a 4.5 lift as suggested with 33's and auto whats a good gear ratio just keep it the way it is or switch it out. and in thought i will pry be driving no more than 65 70 mph hwy

Quick Reply: whats better for crawlin in a XJ