Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Best 3.5" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7L Stroker
Default What is the Best 3.5" lift?

I am about to pull the trigger on a 3.5" lift, but first I would like to know from you guys, what is the highest quality, most complete 3.5" lift package? Money is no option in this. I will be using it for light wheeling and comfy riding. Leaning towards MetalCloak's lift, but hear its chinese. Wonder if that affects the quality. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Sethers775
I am about to pull the trigger on a 3.5" lift, but first I would like to know from you guys, what is the highest quality, most complete 3.5" lift package? Money is no option in this. I will be using it for light wheeling and comfy riding. Leaning towards MetalCloak's lift, but hear its chinese. Wonder if that affects the quality. Thoughts?
Metalcloak is the most complete kit I've seen. They also have the best coil spring i have ever found. Where did you hear it was Chinese they are made just outside Sacramento, California.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

What is the highest quality, most complete lift?

The one you design and piece together. If money isn't a restriction then you will be well served to select top end parts from multiple manufacturers/vendors. The Metalcloak kit however, based on the specs and reviews, is a well designed package.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

I'm biased, I love my Old Man Emu springs.

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-...-hybrid-kit-2/
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Cheroke...Kits-s/283.htm

I am biased as well, Metal cloak's kit is pretty awesome and complete.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Basshark7
I'm biased, I love my Old Man Emu springs.

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-...-hybrid-kit-2/
Metalcloak uses OME rear springs, OME shocks and their custom fronts.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Rubicon express. That's what I'm running. Kit has been on my jeep for over 10 years and I just recently went to change my control arm bushings. They showed no signs at all of wear but since I had them out I replaced them anyways.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Rubicon express. That's what I'm running. Kit has been on my jeep for over 10 years and I just recently went to change my control arm bushings. They showed no signs at all of wear but since I had them out I replaced them anyways.
Rubicon express fails in the completeness department from what I have seen.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The Metalcloak parts are made right here in the USA and they proudly put that on their website and they are without a doubt of the best quality. The OME parts are made in Australia and are also without question, of the best quality.
And like others have said, it is a complete kit. Pay close attention to whether other kits include adjustable upper control arms. Also this kit would fit your needs/wants perfectly in my opinion.

Although every XJ responds to a lift differently, according to their drivetrain and use. I would suggest the following parts in addition to this kit.
1. Slip yoke eliminator
2. CV rear driveshaft
3. Shackle relocation brackets
4. Rear axle shims
Old 10-14-2015, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metalcloak is a popular choice. If you want inexpensive yet good, go with Rubicon Express.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

These 2 items and you're golden.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Shocks-RE6030T

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-3-LIFT-RE1600

If you prefer a double shear trackbar, order these 2 items.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...r-XJ-ZJ-RE1660

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...CKET-HD-RE1665

If you want a more capable rig and don't mind a little more height and you have an NP231 T-case...
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-NP231J-T-case
Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Metalcloak is the most complete kit I've seen. They also have the best coil spring i have ever found. Where did you hear it was Chinese they are made just outside Sacramento, California.
Someone who was trying to put them down over the infamous RC lol

Last edited by Sethers775; 10-14-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like already stated if you want the "Best" don't buy a kit period, then your stuck with what they think you should have. For sure none of them are the best quality out of the box for damn sure.

I knew what I wanted in the beginning but didn't have the money then to do it correctly a 4 1/2" lift. So I bought a entry level kit with the highest quality leafs and coils all made in NA a 3" Rustys kit with leafs, coils, shocks, hardware $438 you have a choice of coil spring weights to choose from if you have winch/bumper or stock. These are the base leafs and coils used with my 4 1/2" lift now. I bought all HD aftermarket parts for the front end and steering for that upgrade.

You need to read about different products to find out from older members who have used products for longer periods of time or vendors for that matter you can't get it all in one place. Like one member pointed out about his Metal Cloak kit were his problems with the springs and being unable to adjust them the way he needed. Small details on lots of things but a no kit approach is the "BEST" way.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Like already stated if you want the "Best" don't buy a kit period, then your stuck with what they think you should have. For sure none of them are the best quality out of the box for damn sure.

I knew what I wanted in the beginning but didn't have the money then to do it correctly a 4 1/2" lift. So I bought a entry level kit with the highest quality leafs and coils all made in NA a 3" Rustys kit with leafs, coils, shocks, hardware $438 you have a choice of coil spring weights to choose from if you have winch/bumper or stock. These are the base leafs and coils used with my 4 1/2" lift now. I bought all HD aftermarket parts for the front end and steering for that upgrade.

You need to read about different products to find out from older members who have used products for longer periods of time or vendors for that matter you can't get it all in one place. Like one member pointed out about his Metal Cloak kit were his problems with the springs and being unable to adjust them the way he needed. Small details on lots of things but a no kit approach is the "BEST" way.
Building your own being the case then I will settle with the Metal Cloak Springs because their design is pretty awesome. Would be great to find out the best of each component
Old 10-14-2015, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989

My Cherokee with my metal cloak kit rides better than stock suspension, and is very flexible.

The argument with a kit is that if you buy it right, you get all the pieces you need. and shouldn't have to add anything to your kit (I added a 1" tcase drop while I wait to save up for an SYE, but that is stated in the kit, that you will probably need an sye). You also get parts that are designed to work together, so your outcome will be predictable, and reliable. also, you will get better support. I got one of the first 3 kits metal cloak made. I had to go back to them a few times times for better information/instructions/support. They were fast to respond, and Extremely helpful. I dealt with the same person each time who walked me through the process.

Putting pieces together means if you run into an issue, you will have to chase that down between vendors.

Quick Reply: What is the Best 3.5" lift?