Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welded Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs up Welded Rear Diff

Hello my name is Justin and i have a question reguarding welding my rear end in order to get a posi rear end. I am a poor collage kid and cannot afford to buy a posi rear end at this time. The few questions i have is will a good weld hold?? (my dad owns an auto shop and i could get someone to weld it who knows what there doing) Also i was wondering how bad it would jump around when driving it on the road? (I have another primary car so the jeep would just be used for some bad winter driving)

ps I would like to apologize because im sure im repeating this question but i couldnt seem to find an answer for some reason
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Originally Posted by jttornado
Hello my name is Justin and i have a question reguarding welding my rear end in order to get a posi rear end. I am a poor collage kid and cannot afford to buy a posi rear end at this time. The few questions i have is will a good weld hold?? (my dad owns an auto shop and i could get someone to weld it who knows what there doing) Also i was wondering how bad it would jump around when driving it on the road? (I have another primary car so the jeep would just be used for some bad winter driving)

ps I would like to apologize because im sure im repeating this question but i couldnt seem to find an answer for some reason
I would say dont weld it. Wait and buy a locker if you want. No need to cheap out like that especially if all youre doing is driving in some inclement weather occasionally.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Like we said in the other thread if it touches road dont do it. It will hop, go through rear tires, and you have to do big strong multi-pass welds spider to spider then weld the spiders to the carrier
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

on the road its deffinetly an adjustment to your driving style, there will be skiping and chirping,... if it on road use is mostly winter and snow or similar slik conditions dont do , this realyyy afects the conditions to the negative direction....what rear end do you have, d35,cv8.25? if its the d35 dont touch it...

save up and get a spartan or power trax and you will be happyer on and off road
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

A welded rear differential is the worst of all possible options for driving on snowy roads.
Don't do it! Save some money and buy a cheap lunch box locker if you have a C/8.25 differential, if you have a D/35 don't do anything to it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

As others have said, better to stay off
I did welded one on a sport car, for drifting purposes, and that's all it does, it makes you drift in every corner you push more throttle than needed, I'll bet it will be really bad for snow, your rear end willl be all over the place.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

if it's just for snow...let it go
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I for one have had several spooled and welded rearends and Its fine. I wouldnt do it to say a dana 35 or 27 spline 8.25 due to the risk of snapping the weak shafts however.

It handles fine on the street, fine in the rain, fine in the snow. Just adjust your driving style for the conditions like anything else (duh).

Tires will chirp, tires will wear quicker, but its not the end of the world.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM

im with ktm racer on this one i have my rear welded and my front locked because i have another truck i drive on the road most of the time. that doesnt stop me from driving my jeep though i was going to stop driving my jeep all over when i welded it but its really not too bad you just have to get used to ia and adjust your driving style like others have said dont hammer on it drive it like a welded lifted jeep
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
I for one have had several spooled and welded rearends and Its fine. I wouldnt do it to say a dana 35 or 27 spline 8.25 due to the risk of snapping the weak shafts however.

It handles fine on the street, fine in the rain, fine in the snow. Just adjust your driving style for the conditions like anything else (duh).

Tires will chirp, tires will wear quicker, but its not the end of the world.
this