Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welded rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default welded rear axle

I've been running stock gears (3.55's???) with 35" tires simply because that is the way it was set up when I bought it and I haven't had time or money to change it yet. So I've found a steal on a set of front and rear axles with 4.10 gears already installed, but the rear spiders have been welded. I know that running a locker or spool in the front will cause bad street manners, but how about the rear? I've driven many vehicles with lockers in the rear, but none that were spooled or welded. Will it cause me any grief other than the obvious tire dragging around the corners?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

It will be super annoying after a short period of time. Plus it puts a lot of added stress on the axles. I personally would not do it for a rig that gets driven on the street.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 AM

How difficult it is to replace the spiders......or will it require more than that?

I'm very mechanically inclined, but have never rebuilt or repaired a diff'.

I'm getting the complete front and rear ends for $100 each (and the rear has already been converted to disc brakes), so I can't pass it up.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Originally Posted by commanderjjones
How difficult it is to replace the spiders......or will it require more than that?

I'm very mechanically inclined, but have never rebuilt or repaired a diff'.

I'm getting the complete front and rear ends for $100 each (and the rear has already been converted to disc brakes), so I can't pass it up.
Well I would imagine the welds will have to be cut out in order to disassemble everything. That could be a 10 minute job or an all day job, really depends on how it was welded. It could be worth it as long as they didn't weld the side gears to the axles.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Most likely youll have to change the carrier, which means a new gear setup.

My DD jeep had a welded rear for ~4 years. I do not recommend it. Kills tires fast, hard to turn in parking lots, noisy, hard on the whole driveline. I think the welded rear contributed to my 40mph roll but thats a different story.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 89Laredo
........I think the welded rear contributed to my 40mph roll but thats a different story.
HOLY CRAP!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM

Are the Spartan lockers worth a crap, or should I fork out the extra cash for a Truetrac?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Are the Spartan lockers worth a crap, or should I fork out the extra cash for a Truetrac?
Spartan lockers are great, I have them in the front and rear and they are the best thing I have done to my Jeep. You may have to get another open carrier to run one since the welded one is probably not reusable. Also I ran a spool in my truck for about 6 months and it wasn't that bad, yes it chirped the tires going around corners and increased tire wear but it handled just fine, going down the road.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
..........Also I ran a spool in my truck for about 6 months and it wasn't that bad, yes it chirped the tires going around corners and increased tire wear but it handled just fine, going down the road.
That's good to know. I may run it as is for a few weeks (I don't drive it very often) and see how it does. If the handling/dragging is TOO annoying, then I'll change the spiders/carrier if I can't deal with it.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Spartan lockers are great, I have them in the front and rear and they are the best thing I have done to my Jeep. You may have to get another open carrier to run one since the welded one is probably not reusable. Also I ran a spool in my truck for about 6 months and it wasn't that bad, yes it chirped the tires going around corners and increased tire wear but it handled just fine, going down the road.
I have a bronco II which is shorter than an XJ and it is full spooled front and rear. It does have locking front hubs, but I drove it for years in 4x4 locked on snow and ice with no problems. You just have to be patient and think hovercraft. lol
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Speaking of locking hubs.........
I know that would be an easy solution for running a locker in the front diff'. Does anyone make a cheap/easy conversion? I did some searching online and found the Yukon kit, but the cheapest I could find it was over $1300. That's just insane and it would be much cheaper to install a complete 44 out of another vehicle. I had a full blown crawler with 60's and ARB air lockers in it (which was SWEEEET) a few years ago, but this thing is a BUDGET build and there's no way I'm gonna sink that kinda money into this one.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

You can run a lunchbox locker in the front differential and barely notice it except for tight turns. I never hear mine and you wouldn't know it was even in there if you were driving it. Obviously all this in 2wd. You know it's locked once you're in 4wd because it only wants to go straight. I honestly don't think lockout hubs are worth the cost for a D30.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
You can run a lunchbox locker in the front differential and barely notice it except for tight turns. I never hear mine and you wouldn't know it was even in there if you were driving it. Obviously all this in 2wd. You know it's locked once you're in 4wd because it only wants to go straight. I honestly don't think lockout hubs are worth the cost for a D30.
So you never notice any ill handling traits, even on a curvy road? I wouldn't mind if it only does it during a hard 90* turn, but have heard horror stories about them being squirrely during "in town" (not highway) driving.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Speaking of locking hubs.........
I know that would be an easy solution for running a locker in the front diff'. Does anyone make a cheap/easy conversion? I did some searching online and found the Yukon kit, but the cheapest I could find it was over $1300. That's just insane and it would be much cheaper to install a complete 44 out of another vehicle. I had a full blown crawler with 60's and ARB air lockers in it (which was SWEEEET) a few years ago, but this thing is a BUDGET build and there's no way I'm gonna sink that kinda money into this one.
You could put the front end from a Bronco, Ranger or Explorer in it, same differential. lol Kidding of course.

I did look at my Bronco knuckles to see if they could be swapped out to the XJ though. Doesn't look like it can be done, they are on top on one and under on the other.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

A. Yes
2. Your choice

Quick Reply: welded rear axle