Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water resistant & waterproofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Arrow water resistant & waterproofing

by posting this thread, I'm hoping to find helpful information from forum users to help myself and anyone else who is wondering how to waterproof they're xj.

what are some things one should do in order to waterproof they're vehicle/motor from failing in water, or even making it water resistant? besides the obvious snorkel. like repositioning breather hoses and/or how to protect any electrical connections? which/what should be protected? any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

mine will be brief compared to what it could be as im assuming no one has commented because they are busy writing a story on it...

what alot of people start off with is a snorkel, me and alot of other people on this site realy like the cowl snorkel that dukie made popular
then rtv, silicon, die electric grease ect the distributor
extend the breather lines in the axles ect
use something to seal the vacuum lines and where they connect to the air box
smear and soak all your fuses,connectors and anything electric that you value in die electrc grease
there are a few write ups on this site on how to move your alternator from the bottom of the engine bay to the top to replace where your AC is,, do that
drill and make or find plugs for drain holes in the floor boards (im using valve stems from old tires=cheap)
depending on how serious you are with swiming you could go as far as to waterproof the entire entirior and if you are swimming for more than just puddles you could raise the exhaust

you can not seal the alternator or the starter motor because they need air, to keep them alive (water is not the enemy) rinse them off thoroghly to get rid of dirt and mud that wear out the brushes.

also find a way to protect your cooling fans... some people switch to all electric fans with toggle switches so they can shut the fan off when going through water ( branches and twigs can get caught in the fan when it is going and break it) but whenyou do that there is more electric **** to destroy... so what im doing is adding a toggle switch to the electric fan my jeep came with and leaving the clutch fan as well... the purose of a clutch fan is to only operate when the engine is hot, so if you chill for a second and let it cool before hand it shuts itself off when you drive in and replacing your clutch fan will be cheaper than replacing aftermarket electirc fans to.

if you are into mud have good fender flares so your face dosnt get covered to

thats everything that came to my mind imediatly anyone can please add and good luck with your boat
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

here's the sequele

use some kind anykind of sealer to seal the conections on your fuel system (tank to engine) die electric grease your electric pump conections.. and throw a tampon under the gas cap... you cant seal the gas cap because some thing some thing i dont totaly understand with atmospheric pressuer but a tampon will absorb alot of water and then act to block more but its not going to stop all the water.... depending on how serious you are with it you cold raise the gas cap..

assuming removing all fabrics (carpet ect (i quess you can keep the headliner)) and beadlining the interior was a given,... some people keep there seats or get aftermrket ones, i was at princessauto (dont know if you got that in the states but youl have something similar if you dont) and i found tractor seats (with back and head support not the bar stool ones lol) they are foam, durable, comfotable, dry realy easy, and at princessauto its mostly other companys surplus so the selection changes frequently and they are dirt cheap, so im planing for these or something similar in th future.

swim cheroboat swim