Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration only when braking hard.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vibration only when braking hard.

I did some searching but couldnt find any posts where the vibes only occurred during braking.

Some back story about the journey first.

Bought the jeep and the previous owner said he did a 2 inch lift. What he meant was, he added longer leaf shackles and that's it. The shackles are adjustable with 2 different settings.

So I installed the Rough Country 4.5 inch kit, but had to use the lifted shackles on the tallest option. When I first drove the jeep after the lift, it accelerated smoothly but any time I let off the gas, it would vibrate as I slowed.

I changed to the next lower option on the shackles. Now it wouldn't vibrate when I slowed but any time I used the brake it would. So It got rid of about 80% of the vibration.

I then ordered stock shackles and installed last night. This got rid of MOST of the vibration, even when I brake to about a medium pressure. But If I brake too hard it vibrates still.

I found 2 degree shims at the local auto parts store, would this be the next thing to try?

I'm new to all this stuff so I'm learning as I go.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

You need a Slip yoke eliminator
Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Thats just the end of it? Why does everyone discuss pinion angle and its relevance to vibration. If i needed a SYE why does it only vibrate when i brake and not all the time? Any further insight as to why thats the solution would be awesome!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NastyNinjaBEar
Thats just the end of it? Why does everyone discuss pinion angle and its relevance to vibration. If i needed a SYE why does it only vibrate when i brake and not all the time? Any further insight as to why thats the solution would be awesome!
He/she likes to just throw crappy info out with total disregard for people's issues.

I apologize for that. Most everyone here prides themselves on giving good advice. Some....not so much.

Perhaps you can isolate the vibration front to rear to give you a starting point. What if you test brake using only the park brake?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 AM

I dont think it has anything to do with the actual brakes as much as just fast deceleration of the vehicle. Since it originally vibrated just when I let off the gas and slowed down with no brakes.
Also to clear that up further. I have completely replaced the entire braking system. It vibrated before and after.

I definitely believe its drive shaft.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I dont think it has anything to do with the actual brakes as much as just fast deceleration of the vehicle. Since it originally vibrated just when I let off the gas and slowed down with no brakes.
Also to clear that up further. I have completely replaced the entire braking system. It vibrated before and after.

I definitely believe its drive shaft.
Any lift blocks in the rear?

Motor/trans mounts worn?

Exhaust pipe hitting here?
Attached Thumbnails Vibration only when braking hard.-transmission-mount-bracket.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM

I will definitely take a look and shoot a pic.

I should mention too, that the rate of the vibration does change with the speed of the vehicle too.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Sounds like drive line vibes. Although it could be something as simple as an out of balance tire.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Sounds like drive line vibes. Although it could be something as simple as an out of balance tire.
I've run the tires on my old cherokee an the new one. No vibration on the old one and no vibration before the lift, so I think the tires are narrowed out.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

I've run the tires on my old cherokee an the new one. No vibration on the old one and no vibration before the lift, so I think the tires are narrowed out.
Chances are youre getting drive line vibrations then. Acceleration vs deceleration puts a different load on the rear axle/drive shaft.

Are you running a transfer case drop?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Chances are youre getting drive line vibrations then. Acceleration vs deceleration puts a different load on the rear axle/drive shaft.

Are you running a transfer case drop?
Yes, the lift kit came with a 2 inch tcase drop which is currently installed.

Should I add a couple washers to the drop and drop it more?

Last edited by NastyNinjaBEar; 02-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, the lift kit came with a 2 inch tcase drop which is currently installed.

Should I add a couple washers to the drop and drop it more?
Transfer case drops are kind of a band-aid, just trying to go through the process of elimination and rule out some things.

I wouldn't drop it any further, puts a lot of extra stress on your motor mounts as is.

The proper fix would be adding a slip yolk eliminator or lowering the lift. The pinion angle on the rear axle should be parallel to the output on the transfer case with a stock style driveshaft. You dont want to point the rear axle up at the transfer case unless you are running a SYE and double cardan shaft.

Stock configuration.

SYE configuration
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Awesome. So thats where I figure things would go. The next question is, how do I measure the angles accurately. I can shim the axle. I can't imagine its very far out...if its only vibrating part time and less so when I lowered the lift.
My understanding is that 4.5 shouldnt need SLE but is on the edge.

How can I accurately tell what angle to shim?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Get a little magnetic based angle finder. Measure the angle of the output on the transfer case, then match that to the angle of the pinion of your rear axle.

Just be forewarned that mat not solve your vibration issues, which could be caused by the extreme angles of the u-joints on the stock driveshaft.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Do I have to remove the drive shaft to measure the angle?