Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Loud Howling Sound Above 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Very Loud Howling Sound Above 40mph

So this might be more of non modified Jeep issue but it might be to do with my 1998 ax15 swap in my 87 Cherokee. Everything fits fine, shifts like butter but this howl is insanely loud. Cherokee has a dana44 with lsd if that possibly matters. I can't tell you if it did this before because I only drove it once before the swap and it was straight piped so you couldn't hear ****, now it has a muffler.

-It does it in any gear
-Does it at any speed above 40mph (60kmph)
-Is not effected by neutral clutch while driving above 40.
-Not effected by turning or so it seems
-Not effected by 4 wheel drive (4h)
-Seems to come from the front but reverberates through the cab so very hard to pinpoint. No vibrations in the steering wheel.

I am thinking it could be tires (cheapo mud tires), driveshaft issue, possibly wheel bearing but its a very loud howl and only at or above 40, its at the point where you can't really have a conversation or hear the music anymore if on the highway. It does sort of pulsate at times, other then that it's a constant.

Anyone have any ideas to help diagnose exactly what is causing tge howl or had a similar problem?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There are a lot of variables there for it to come from the trans/TC to the rear end or the tires. I would start by placing the XJ on HD jack stands and then starting the engine and engage the trans till tires are spinning at the rpm's needed to start any noise. If its the tires they will not make any being they aren't on the ground.

Be very careful when you do this and if it vibrates on the stands at all stop at that point. If not place a small stick on all the places it could be coming from and listen to them using it to your ear.

That is where I would start not knowing what it was doing when you bought it.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I got a lift I can borrow so I will get her on there sooner or later and see if I can replicate the sound.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
There are a lot of variables there for it to come from the trans/TC to the rear end or the tires. I would start by placing the XJ on HD jack stands and then starting the engine and engage the trans till tires are spinning at the rpm's needed to start any noise. If its the tires they will not make any being they aren't on the ground.

Be very careful when you do this and if it vibrates on the stands at all stop at that point. If not place a small stick on all the places it could be coming from and listen to them using it to your ear.

That is where I would start not knowing what it was doing when you bought it.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 PM

Year: 2000

Im no expert but I've had friends check my wheel bearings by lifting the tires off the ground and wobbling them by hand. Also my noise gets louder while turning but you said yours doesnt...My friend took his front driveshaft out to fix a u joint, said the jeep drove like butter with it out...Maybe check front and rear drivesaft u joints? Or even take out the front driveshaft to find out if the noise is front or rear?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I had the same issue on different type of vehicle and i had a leaky t-case... i would check all of your fluids... easy stuff first...
Old 12-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Fluids are all good. We replaced all the fluids when doing the ax15 swap, no leaks. I will probably pop the front driveshaft though.

Originally Posted by lukc22
I had the same issue on different type of vehicle and i had a leaky t-case... i would check all of your fluids... easy stuff first...
Old 12-21-2015, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Have you checked your drive shafts? My front drive shaft is currently doing something very similar to what's you're describing. Pull the front drive shaft and go for a drive. No noise = something in the driveshaft.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silentj
Have you checked your drive shafts? My front drive shaft is currently doing something very similar to what's you're describing. Pull the front drive shaft and go for a drive. No noise = something in the driveshaft.
Yeah I'm gong to check it this week. It would make sense because I had to put the 98 driveshaft in as the dana44 87 Cherokee was a bit too short for the different slipyoke (internal vs external) on the transfer case.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I had a horrible howl, vibration, and it pulsed. Didn't matter if I was turning or a straight line. It was a bad hub. Wasn't loose either just dry, no grease.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

howl to me means hub

when the rear hub on my miata was goin, it sounded like a ww2 fighter plane
Old 12-28-2015, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever find out what the noise was?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:41 PM

Engine: HO 4.0

Could also be ring and pinion gears howling