Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Engine Ground Strap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Upgraded Engine Ground Strap

About 11 years ago, I upgraded my ground strap with 1 gauge welder's wire. It was the most flexible welder's wire I could find, but not anywhere near as flexible as the little OEM strap, and it eventually broke at the engine head lug because of engine movement.

To replace it, I used a woven wire strap, like OEM, but much larger.

Here are the Pics:

The materials and the new crimper:

The finished strap:
I made it 2 inches longer than OEM to give it more flexibility. I slathered the ends of the webbing with Ox-Gard to prevent any corrosion inside the crimps.

The width of the new strap is 1-3/8 inches, vs. 7/16 inch OEM. Almost 3 times as wide and much thicker

Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's big, beefy, heavy, and very flexible. It will carry a LOT more current than the little OEM strap. The crimps are very good. I was actually hanging my weight on them, and they didn't fail.

What's cool is I have leftover material, so I can make several more if I want. I might actually start making these and list them on eBay or something.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by montanaman; 03-09-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I prefer to add a #4 gauge cable from the firewall to a bolt on the rear of the intake manifold, either to a heat shield bolt or fuel rail bolt. A cable about 18″ long with a 3/8″ lug on each end works great and you can get one at any parts store already made up. NAPA has them as part number 781116.

A further improvement to the grounding system can be made using a #4 cable, about 10″ long with 3/8″ terminals at each end. Attach one end of this cable to the negative battery bolt and the other end under the closest 10mm headed bolt on the radiator support just forward of the battery. NAPA part number 781115.

Better yet, go to www.meanlemons.com and get a complete set of high quality upgraded cables.

Last edited by cruiser54; 03-10-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am running KnuKonceptz 0/1 at that location (what I had left from my stereo install), and used a few inches extra cable to accommodate for engine movement. Was your cable super short or something?