Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Ideas

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Upgrade Ideas

First of all good morning,
So yesterday I just purchased new nitrogen filled shocks and a new steering stabilizer for the xj. I am looking into the ruff stuff unibody stiffeners since they seem to have an extra inch of support under the floor boards and they extend 8 inches into the front wheel well according to the sales rep. My question is does anyone have ideas for upgrades that are xj specific? You know ones that xjs need or greeting being it from such as the stiffeners. Also is there any company's the make xj parts that may not be sold on 4wd or any of the other suppliers? Once again new to the jeep/xj world but I am loving it so far! Thank you in advanced.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Dude tons of other part producers, check out the vendor section, but make sure to give the wife the CC before going there
Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look here for XJ bumpers and some other items best prices on the web.

roxolidtrailarmor.com

Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Look here for XJ bumpers and some other items best prices on the web.

roxolidtrailarmor.com

No offence but those look terrible. The cheapest route would be to make everything yourself. I got all the matierial to make both bumpers and sliders on mine for under 300 bucks. If you don't want/cant build your own, there are some vendors on here that make a really strong, inexpensive stubby bumper.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505

No offence but those look terrible. The cheapest route would be to make everything yourself. I got all the matierial to make both bumpers and sliders on mine for under 300 bucks. If you don't want/cant build your own, there are some vendors on here that make a really strong, inexpensive stubby bumper.
The razor bumpers look like horrible but they are better then stock and can build on to it if you have the ability to, the other series are not bad and look just like any other manufacturer with a break or welded and sanded for a smooth appearance. But he not looking at bumpers just sliders for the moment.

Building vs buying all depends on what you want really want, yes something are more expenisve but your not loosing anything just money. Building you work maybe a couple hours a week on it just to save a buck or two, you get what I saying. Life its more important doing other things then building a parts that maybe a 1/4 of the cost.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hbracing13

The razor bumpers look like horrible but they are better then stock and can build on to it if you have the ability to, the other series are not bad and look just like any other manufacturer with a break or welded and sanded for a smooth appearance. But he not looking at bumpers just sliders for the moment.

Building vs buying all depends on what you want really want, yes something are more expenisve but your not loosing anything just money. Building you work maybe a couple hours a week on it just to save a buck or two, you get what I saying. Life its more important doing other things then building a parts that maybe a 1/4 of the cost.
I paid aroud 280. Only work on it in my welding class. For bumpers and sliders from a company I would pay over a grand. So its not like im wasting time, I have to weld for class so im welding bumpers
Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00greyxj
First of all good morning,
So yesterday I just purchased new nitrogen filled shocks and a new steering stabilizer for the xj. I am looking into the ruff stuff unibody stiffeners since they seem to have an extra inch of support under the floor boards and they extend 8 inches into the front wheel well according to the sales rep. My question is does anyone have ideas for upgrades that are xj specific? You know ones that xjs need or greeting being it from such as the stiffeners. Also is there any company's the make xj parts that may not be sold on 4wd or any of the other suppliers? Once again new to the jeep/xj world but I am loving it so far! Thank you in advanced.

upgrades huh? what do you want to do with your jeep?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah how will you use the jeep? some upgrades are only good for one thing vs some are all around.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by skife
upgrades huh? what do you want to do with your jeep?
x2 it all depends on what you want to do with the jeep

crawling, mudding, dd, mall crawler, the cheep messy way where you dont get exactly what you want but it does what its supposed to, or the expensive way where you get every thing exactly how you want it
Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Well I don't park mine on a board and tell everyone great it is and how "Purtty" it is. I look at 3 things design for the job, strength and build quality all of these compared to price for what is offered.

I actually use my Jeep (Hard) and I want durability in products for it. I seriously doubt that "your" bumper has as a well designed swing out tire carrier as mine nor strength. If so post up some pic's of it along with how it attach's to the frame.

I think once you finish HS you will have more of a grasp on different things. Like when I said the best bang for the buck on the web feature wise. Do you think that I don't know what's out there or that cost is the biggest factor either is isn't.

Now lets see what you made in "Welding Class" and what grade did you get??
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I want to use my jeep just as I did my old k5 a crawler when I want it and my to and from to work. That's a bout it. I need to know it's strong though that why I want the stiffeners. Growing up in the south it was all mid all the time. As I started to grow up and was stationed in Germany and in NC I was introduced to rock and mountain. I am in love. I put the k5 through it paces and now its the jeeps turn. I just got stationed in Oregon and I know there are some good trails here. Again sorry I wasn't aware of the vendor page we get internet tomorrow for some reason they are making us wait two weeks for it. So we have lived in Oregon for about two weeks. Haha I like how I should give the CC to my wife. I'll go check out the vendors and please keep the feed back up I'm really coming around to this xj
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Well I don't park mine on a board and tell everyone great it is and how "Purtty" it is. I look at 3 things design for the job, strength and build quality all of these compared to price for what is offered.

I actually use my Jeep (Hard) and I want durability in products for it. I seriously doubt that "your" bumper has as a well designed swing out tire carrier as mine nor strength. If so post up some pic's of it along with how it attach's to the frame.

I think once you finish HS you will have more of a grasp on different things. Like when I said the best bang for the buck on the web feature wise. Do you think that I don't know what's out there or that cost is the biggest factor either is isn't.

Now lets see what you made in "Welding Class" and what grade did you get??
Well im out of HS, and in college(Biology, and probably get my certs for welding, just cuz), the front is being prepped for paint and Im about to start on the rear. As far as tie ins to the frame, I made some similar to JCRs out of 3/16, with a total of 14 bolts holding it on. The rear will be a notched 2x4 to slide into the frame, then bolted in with 16 bolts, unlike the yours, that appears to use original mounts and the nut strip. I have no use for a tire carrier in the rear but have played around with quite a bit of designs. And as far as using my Jeep hard, I take it places people are surprised to see an xj on 31s, its the main reason for building all my armor got tires of denting rockers and bumpers. So before you start making assumptions that im some punk kid, you should find out some facts. When I said they look horrible its becuase they do, you can spend like 80 more for an aresfab and have a nice looking bumper that will do the same crap.

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 04-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry I made a mistake your not 17 I guess 19 and in College.

I wish we had some Zombies around here to kill I'd hunt them. But I do hunt things that will come after you Wild Hogs for one. I have shot them with my AR-15 and HK-91 a 12ga Riot Gun 00 Buck last time also 4 different handguns a 9mm/.357 mag/.40 S&W/.45 ACP. I just like to hunt down pests and ones that are destroying crop land and National Forests even more.

When you have a few more miles on your clock lots of things change. Enjoy things while your young they change all to quickly.

Be well young man and have fun while you can.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Plenty of smaller time guys out there that don't sell stuff on 4wd etc. Some off the top of my head (most are vendors and you can get a discount)

www.JCROFFROAD.com (I run their bumpers+ Sliders... Love em)
www.RustysOffroad.com
www.KevinsOffroad.com
www.hooliganoffroadengineering.com
www.ajsoffroadarmor.com
http://aresfabrication.com/

What do you currently have on there? What are your plans? Making it crawl over rocks is a broad goal
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Thank you ianf406 that is exactly what I am looking for. I am taking the jeep out to tillamook this weekend so maybe Ill have some picture up of it after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrade Ideas