Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuff Stuff Bumper

Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Tuff Stuff Bumper

I would like to get a new bumper for my XJ and was curious about the tuff stuff 4x4 winch bumper. Does anybody have this or know anything about it??
Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have never heard of them before.Honestly the cheapest bumpers i would run are https://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/sho...t-bumpers.html and https://www.rlcweldfab.com/ i havent used his jeep bumpers but his ford truck ones are almost bullet proof and hes local to me.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I put one on my xj this weekend and posted some pix and such on my build thread-
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/purple-nurple-239873/

Pretty straightforward install, seems sturdy enough. Once I've put a winch on and tried it I'll post more.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999

Complete rip off of the JCR Vanguard. Personally don't like to support companies like that
Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM

There are plenty of companies selling similar bumpers. Who knows who knocked off who.

I looked at JCR, Rusty's, Nate's, and many other companies while bumper shopping. When it was all said and done, I put a very nice bumper on my XJ for $429. Total. It was ordered and shipped from California to Florida in just under a week and wasn't a pain to install.

I considered a similar bumper from JCR for $899 ($749 + $150 powder coating). Is JCR's bumper $470 better than the Tuff Stuff bumper? Not to me.

Other than Jeepology being partnered with JCR, do you have any information that justifies your disparaging of Tuff Stuff and guiding people to JCR? If you do, that would be good info to share with the forum members.

Anyway, to each their own.

Regards
Old 11-13-2017, 02:58 PM

Yes I do have a good relationship with JCR, but have no sponsorships and don't receive a dime from them or anything like that whatsoever. I just prefer to support someone who is willing to put in the work instead of taking shortcuts. Like you said to each their own. I for one will never support someone who blatantly copies another's work. Yes there are only a few ways to do certain things for an XJ and there will always be similarities, but theirs is an exact copy (this isn't their first rodeo, they have a history of exact copies).

I don't have any personal experience with that specific Tuffstuff bumper, but I'm sure it gets the job done just fine. A buddy of mine has one of their JK rear bumpers and has had a bad experience, but for the price you can't really complain. I don't think you can really add the Tuffstuff powder coat in the price either. It's honestly just not very good and will completely fade and wear off very quickly (not really a big deal since it's easy touch up, but still something to be aware of). So all in all, my statement still stands.

Last edited by Jeepology; 11-13-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepology
Yes I do have a good relationship with JCR, but have no sponsorships and don't receive a dime from them or anything like that whatsoever. I just prefer to support someone who is willing to put in the work instead of taking shortcuts. Like you said to each their own. I for one will never support someone who blatantly copies another's work. Yes there are only a few ways to do certain things for an XJ and there will always be similarities, but theirs is an exact copy (this isn't their first rodeo, they have a history of exact copies).

I don't have any personal experience with that specific Tuffstuff bumper, but I'm sure it gets the job done just fine. A buddy of mine has one of their JK rear bumpers and has had a bad experience, but for the price you can't really complain. I don't think you can really add the Tuffstuff powder coat in the price either. It's honestly just not very good and will completely fade and wear off very quickly (not really a big deal since it's easy touch up, but still something to be aware of). So all in all, my statement still stands.
You may well be right, time will tell with the bumper.

Nothing wrong with partnering, by the way, good way to move ahead.

BTW- my last post sounded a bit more dick-ish than intended. My apologies. Daddy needs some coffee and a shot.

Enjoy the rest of your day, sir. See you down the road.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 98.Cherokee
You may well be right, time will tell with the bumper.

Nothing wrong with partnering, by the way, good way to move ahead.

BTW- my last post sounded a bit more dick-ish than intended. My apologies. Daddy needs some coffee and a shot.

Enjoy the rest of your day, sir. See you down the road.
No worries at all. Like I said, I'm sure the bumper gets the job done just fine and as long as it ties in well I can't see there being an issue with it.

And I could use a whiskey coffee as well. Cheers