Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission help! automatic to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Post Transmission help! automatic to manual swap

I have both a 1999 and a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The 99 was an automatic 2WD and the 96 was a manual 4WD. The automatic transmission was shot in the 99 and I want to use it for my toy so I pulled the manual out of the 96 and put it in the 99 and everything bolted up perfect. Problem is when I went to start it it would crank but wouldn't turn over. I was just trying to get it out of the shop for the week but I haven't installed the slave cylinder for the clutch just yet so I figured id just start it in reverse and get it where I needed it. Didn't work out that way. I've asked around a little and have gotten pieced together info about neutral safety switches and clutch pedal safety switches and things like that. I was 100% ignorant to the technicals of a manual transmission until this fun little project so can anyone point me in the right direction to get it to start?
Old 03-09-2020, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 415 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

The clutch and brake safety switches will not let you engage the starter. If it works, then that is not the problem. Make sure your crank position sensor is installed properly on the bell housing.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I've never done this, so take this with a grain of salt:

I researched doing a manual swap into an auto xj when I was having trouble finding a factory manual (found one!). I read that the Jeep either needs to either be OBDI (computer doesn't care what the trans is), or you need to pull the computer from a manual jeep of the exact same year XJ you are swapping into to get this to work. Anything is can be made to work, but it may not be easy. My 96 has no clutch safety switch. I don't know about 97+

You said it will crank, but not turn over. To me, turning over is cranking. So it cranking, but not starting, correct?