Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler & cooling system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission cooler & cooling system upgrade

I'm going to be re doing my cooling system soon and was wondering what type of transmission cooler you guys suggest getting? I've heard that the B&M was a good cooler

Also should I upgrade to a 3 row radiator? or just stick to stock?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

B&M are fine coolers. Stick to a stacked plate design and around 13,000 BTUs of cooling. Expect to pay around $50. I don't know how you intend to use your XJ, so it's tough to recommend a radiator. If you're using it as a DD, the stock raditor is up to the task. If you're a serious off roader in a hot climate, consider an upgrade.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 AM

This is the best deal as of now

Amazon.com: B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler: Automotive Amazon.com: B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler: Automotive
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by robertj
B&M are fine coolers. Stick to a stacked plate design and around 13,000 BTUs of cooling. Expect to pay around $50. I don't know how you intend to use your XJ, so it's tough to recommend a radiator. If you're using it as a DD, the stock raditor is up to the task. If you're a serious off roader in a hot climate, consider an upgrade.
I'm in western PA so the stock rad will most likely be fine.

Originally Posted by NattyBoh
thats the one I was looking at and thinking about getting.

Anyone on here have one of these installed?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Derale coolers are nice too; Summit carries them. I'm using one to cool the traction fluid for a supercharger and its killer.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Maybe someone can put me in my place by explaining the thermodynamics behind this. It seems counterproductive to mount it against the radiator and stock tranny cooler. Doesn't that mean you're just blowing the heat from the foremost cooler over the fins of the coolers behind it? If the transmission gets over operating temp I bet it would start overheating the engine coolant in the radiator too. I've opted to go with a separate fan on top of a cooler that only runs on the rare occasion I get the transmission hot enough. Like one o' these guys:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...ount.html#4190
I'm still trying to figure out where to put it...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Maybe someone can put me in my place by explaining the thermodynamics behind this. It seems counterproductive to mount it against the radiator and stock tranny cooler. Doesn't that mean you're just blowing the heat from the foremost cooler over the fins of the coolers behind it? If the transmission gets over operating temp I bet it would start overheating the engine coolant in the radiator too. <snip>..
While your reasoning may have some validity, consider that the OEM trans cooler is part of the OEM radiator, correct? Now pipe that trans fluid through the OEM (or not) and through an additional cooler. There will be less heat dumped directly to the OEM (by the trans fluid), and may actually draw heat away from the engine coolant provided the trans fluid stays at a lower temp than the engine coolant. Its effectively a larger area and volume cooling system, so is capable of dissipating more heat.

I've been considering changing my OEM type (crappy) radiator out for a 3 row, all metal unit (about $200) to enhance my cooling system. I'm curious as to how hot the trans fluid actually gets so as to decide whether it would be beneficial enough to add the auxiliary trans cooler.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
I've opted to go with a separate fan on top of a cooler that only runs on the rare occasion I get the transmission hot enough. Like one o' these guys:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...ount.html#4190
I'm still trying to figure out where to put it...
It seems that XJs are a might limited for space. How about an L88 style hood and mounting the cooler and fan unit (with flexible lines) above the engine?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah, against the ceiling of the hood? Blowing heat up and out, mounted on the pass side of the engine bay. I'd need to seal that fan against water though.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by excess650
While your reasoning may have some validity, consider that the OEM trans cooler is part of the OEM radiator, correct? Now pipe that trans fluid through the OEM (or not) and through an additional cooler. There will be less heat dumped directly to the OEM (by the trans fluid), and may actually draw heat away from the engine coolant provided the trans fluid stays at a lower temp than the engine coolant. Its effectively a larger area and volume cooling system, so is capable of dissipating more heat.

This.

I use my little XJ as both a DD & tow rig for my big XJ, and upped the trans cooler, been running like this for a while now just fine, and it does aid the coolant temp at highway speeds. Seen zero issues.

Name:  MMS_Resized_Pix-2.jpg
Views: 7883
Size:  58.4 KB