Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track bar location help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default track bar location help

This is kind of hard to explain but i need some clarification. I have my full width 44 mocked up under my jeep i just finished the long arms. Im wanting to get going on building my track bar and bracket. I stretched the front end about 2 inches i have a adjustable ota track bar bracket and im running crossover histeer.
So I know you want the track bar and the drag link to be at the same angle. I also know the stock Cherokee pitman arm is a little too short for full throw on a d44 and the easiest solution is to run a waggy pitman arm to get the correct throw. The waggy arm is flat no drop.
I see most people that do this kind of swap try to run everything as flat as possible. So is it ok to run that arm and keep the track bar mount tight to the frame rail or should i find a waggy drop pitman arm so i can drop the steering and track arm down for a straighter package?? Btw jeep is 4.5in lift on 38s. I have searched but not coming up with much lol
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Im thinking the correct way would be to get a waggy drop pitman arm and lower the track bar mounting lower if i can do it without affecting the little up travel i will have. Thoughts??
Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Anyone lol wanna get going on this
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

You might get more input over @ naxja.
But, you want the track bar and drag link parallel. If possible you also want them the same length or close. I recommend a straight track bar, and a decent drop. The lower it is the less chance of hitting the pan you will have when you stuff your tires. You may also want to move it forward slightly to accomodate for the stretch . I would built the frame side mount, maybe have a couple of sets of holes to adjust the height, then see where you want it on the frame.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Thats kinda my thought on it. I really need to become a member over there too lol
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

i have a full width 44 and im running the stock pitman and hit the steering stops on both sides. you cant see my trackbar bc its perfectly parallel to my draglink but you can see the axle side mount (the hydro assist ram is mounted to it). its not as long as i'd like, but it does the job.

track bar location help-v9pcniw.jpg
Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Thats weird because it seems from what i have read it comes up short. I think i have enough room to keep the track bar at the stock drop on the frame side being at 4.5in. How much lift do u have? Guess im just 2nd guessing myself want to build it once and be done with it lol

Last edited by Nathan9Mile; 06-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Nathan9Mile
Thats weird because it seems from what i have read it comes up short. I think i have enough room to keep the track bar at the stock drop on the frame side being at 4.5in. How much lift do u have? Guess im just 2nd guessing myself want to build it once and be done with it lol
it depends on your geometry. i have a parts mike high steer arm, if you were running something like OTK inverted-T or a shorter high steer arm, yea, you'd need a longer pitman arm. i have 6.5" of lift.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Im using parts mike arms also and standard cross over steering using a ruff stuff kit all heims. I no it has a big part to do with the length of the histeer arm maybe these guys are using another companys