Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough to turn turn at 10 psi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tough to turn turn at 10 psi?

When I was aired down to 10 psi last weekend, I couldnt turn the jeep at a dead stop on pavement (ice/beer/supplies run for camping) anyhow, my question is, would a power steering cooler help this? I understand tires are pigs at 10 psi, but I didn't think they would be that bad...im running 33x12.50...all my steering is stock besides a drop pitman arm. Any ideas? If this isn't advanced tech enough, feel free to move it admin...wasn't sure lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You would probably need hydraulic assist to turn a 12.5 inch wide aired down tire on pavement when not moving. A power steering cooler may help, but trying to turn a 12.5 inch tire with only 10psi at a dead stop on pavement may bend or break some of the XJs flimsy steering components.
Very little forward motion is needed to be able to turn your aired down tires.

Last edited by Rock Toy; 09-02-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Generally yeah, it's going to feel like that on pavement. I had mine down to 18 on pavement last week and even then I could feel a difference and 10 is pretty low. All that is gonna do is put a strain on your PS pump, a cooler won't help much.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM

I figured as much...if I went forward just a little I could turn. I really didn't figure a 33x12.50 would be that tough to turn. My friend is running 37s on a tj with stock steering with the same psi, I can't imagine what he was going through lol...this was only my second run with these tires, but we didn't drive on pavement the first run. I'm still getting familiar with how they handle and such, I had 31s previously.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Why would you have your tires aired down to 10PSI while driving on pavement in the first place? That wears the tires down faster and causes unneccessary strain on steering components. If you go too fast around a corner it could even result in a blown bead. Rather than get hydo assist or a power steering cooler I would suggest getting a good air compressor and airing up your tires before you get back on the pavement. I turned my AC into OBA and can air up my tires in about 6 minutes so even when going on a supply run I have no problems airing up before getting back on the road.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Xjtim
I figured as much...if I went forward just a little I could turn. I really didn't figure a 33x12.50 would be that tough to turn. My friend is running 37s on a tj with stock steering with the same psi, I can't imagine what he was going through lol...this was only my second run with these tires, but we didn't drive on pavement the first run. I'm still getting familiar with how they handle and such, I had 31s previously.
If your friend has 37-12.5 tires then the amount of tread he had on the pavement would not have been much more than yours so turning for him should have been about the same. In this situation it is the width of the tire that will make the biggest difference. Plus the tire compound, and age of the tire will affect how well they stick to the pavement.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by billulsund
Why would you have your tires aired down to 10PSI while driving on pavement in the first place? That wears the tires down faster and causes unneccessary strain on steering components. If you go too fast around a corner it could even result in a blown bead. Rather than get hydo assist or a power steering cooler I would suggest getting a good air compressor and airing up your tires before you get back on the pavement. I turned my AC into OBA and can air up my tires in about 6 minutes so even when going on a supply run I have no problems airing up before getting back on the road.
In defense of the OP we have no idea if his run to the store was 500mi or a quarter mile, so no reason to ramble on like he's an idiot. I'm pretty sure he knows airing them back up would fix this. His question was a simple one with a simple answer, that's all.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

yeah, only thing that would really help you there is a steering upgrade. Bigger box MAY be enough, but only guarantee would be hydro assist or full hydro
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks to everyone with USEFUL information...now to this jackass....my drive was an 1/8 mile on a straight road to the general store. So... before you act like someone is an idiot, or doesn't know what they are doing or talking about, hold your tongue, you are not appreciated... if you would like, YOU can give me the money for onboard air so I can air up before I take that outrageous 1/8 mile drive...mr crafty craftmans....
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Mr. Crafty craftsman... Lmao.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

I run 8-9 in mine, and i drove downt he road the other day to the trail and it wasnt too bad at all. I just have a drop arm and zj parts. but it turns ok.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks to everyone with USEFUL information...now to this jackass....my drive was an 1/8 mile on a straight road to the general store. So... before you act like someone is an idiot, or doesn't know what they are doing or talking about, hold your tongue, you are not appreciated... if you would like, YOU can give me the money for onboard air so I can air up before I take that outrageous 1/8 mile drive...mr crafty craftmans....
Sorry, I meant no offense. I felt it was silly to suggest hydro assist or a power steering cooler to get you to turn better on pavement at 10psi when the obvious answer is to air up. I don't think you are an idiot, but I don't know how knowledgable about 4 wheeling you are. I don't like to assume someone knows something as I have seen some clueless people do some dumb things when wheeling. If you had put in your original post that you were only travelling 1/8 mile I probably would not have responded at all. I have seen people travel for miles and miles on the road with very little air pressure which can be a dangerous practice. OBA is not that expensive. You can build one for around $100 - $150. That would be cheaper than most power steering coolers or any hydro assist and in my opinion is a much more valuable upgrade for a regular wheeler. Sorry again if I offended you, if you would like any help in building an OBA system feel free to contact me.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Sorry, I meant no offense. I felt it was silly to suggest hydro assist or a power steering cooler to get you to turn better on pavement at 10psi when the obvious answer is to air up. I don't think you are an idiot, but I don't know how knowledgable about 4 wheeling you are. I don't like to assume someone knows something as I have seen some clueless people do some dumb things when wheeling. If you had put in your original post that you were only travelling 1/8 mile I probably would not have responded at all. I have seen people travel for miles and miles on the road with very little air pressure which can be a dangerous practice. OBA is not that expensive. You can build one for around $100 - $150. That would be cheaper than most power steering coolers or any hydro assist and in my opinion is a much more valuable upgrade for a regular wheeler. Sorry again if I offended you, if you would like any help in building an OBA system feel free to contact me.
I was a little out of line and I apologize...I just took your post the wrong way. I am interested in the ac conversion, that sounds doable. Maybe direct me to a link? Once again, I'm am sorry, happy trails!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Sorry my suggestion of hydraulic assist struck you as silly. FYI there are places that have multiple trails that are driven between without airing up all the time. ( When I do Moab I usually don't air back up until I'm ready to load my rig on the trailer, at the end of the week. )
Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

I was a little out of line and I apologize...I just took your post the wrong way. I am interested in the ac conversion, that sounds doable. Maybe direct me to a link? Once again, I'm am sorry, happy trails!
Dang guys I am proud of you both! Most of these disagreements turn into pages and pages of arguing and bickering.. It's nice to see two people act like grown-ups and be willing to say very cool