Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail pipe routing options

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC I6 4.0
Default Tail pipe routing options

Last wheeling trip I stuffed my tail pipe "camel hump" up and forward causing it to melt my shock boot and also come into contact with my e-brake cable melting the sheathing. I want to put on a new tail pipe but keep it out of the way of rocks and such. I was thinking about just cutting it off right after the muffler but I read about too many problems with that setup. What about cutting it off right after the hump? I was thinking that the pipe would come down the back side of the "hump" and just end. The exhaust would go over the hump then straight down to the ground. I don't think my gas tank would be in danger of overheating. She is an 87 and came with a pretty stout gas tank cover. Also, it's back past the rear axle. Would the fumes still be a problem by in the cab?

If those ideas are worthless, does anyone have another idea that doesn't involve buying aftermarket exhaust systems. Has anyone else successfully re-routed their stock exhaust to keep it safe from wheeling?

P.S. I searched for about an hour and found tons of posts about exhaust upgrades, cat-back replacements, header repair/replacement, removing the dent in the down tube, and the cons of cutting your tail pipe right after the muffler. Although, I did find one post that talked about routing the tail pipe through the rear quarter panel. I'd like to consider that "Plan ZZ".
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

I dumped mine off right before the axle I know a local that did his in the rear 1/4 panel

Last edited by ericfx1984; 09-22-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6

I have a side pipe on mine right after the muffler. It comes out under the body just before the rear tire. It doesn't exactly hold in place very well though. It bounces around a lot sometimes. I don't usually get exhaust fumes, but sometimes it does get a good drone to it. Once the tc locks up it drones, but that isn't too bad most of the time. Sometimes at low idle it'll get a good drone that just gets annoying. I have to get a custom tailpipe bent since I went with the CB Extreme muffler. Center in, center out.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

There is also a way to utilize the stock hanger after the muffler, and route it back out the side using a 180 bend, but in my eyes that's kinda restrictive. Some areas also don't allow a side pipe. But that's only if you drive it on the street every day.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

Cool, Thanks guys. I'm going to see what I can do.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

I have 2 diffent jeeps with 2 easy and cheap and very different exhaust setups. I dont have the net at the moment and cant post pics with this phone but id be more than happy to send you pics of both setups via cell. If you will pm your number id be happy to snap you a couple.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have it come out the side before the rear tire, its going to be the lowest part of the jeep in an area that is very prone to getting smashed while wheeling.

Ive had the best luck having it exit out the stock location, just tucking it up as high as possible along with plating the muffler with 1/8" plate.

Ive done the turndown as well after the muffler, but the turndown often gets hit and would just crunch up the rest of the exhaust. You also have to utilize the hanger near the axle if you dont want it flopping around every which way. You need the pipe to go low enough so the exhaust doesnt blow on anything at freeway speeds. If you heat up your axle, you go through seals quite often, and if you heat up your fuel.... well, i think you can guess why thats a bad idea, Ive had a gas cap pop off before from this.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
If you have it come out the side before the rear tire, its going to be the lowest part of the jeep in an area that is very prone to getting smashed while wheeling.

Ive done the turndown as well after the muffler, but the turndown often gets hit and would just crunch up the rest of the exhaust. You also have to utilize the hanger near the axle if you dont want it flopping around every which way. You need the pipe to go low enough so the exhaust doesnt blow on anything at freeway speeds. If you heat up your axle, you go through seals quite often, and if you heat up your fuel.... well, i think you can guess why thats a bad idea, Ive had a gas cap pop off before from this.
If he turns it out before the tire it wont be any lower than if it goes straight out like stock because you dont drop it lol. I have a jeep done like this and as long as you ar close to the tire it wont get hit but at the same time if you go to close there are the obvious issues there. I dont see there being any issues from shortening it to either after the axle or before the tire because you arent lowering or even re routing your piping except for a 1 ft turn out section that will be as high as stock anyway
Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Mine actually blows out slightly onto the tire since it doesn't exactly exit the body. I check my tire after I drive and it's perfectly fine. Doesn't heat up any more than it would from driving. I think it's because of the air currents the tire creates. The exhaust just follows the currents out from under my jeep.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
Mine actually blows out slightly onto the tire since it doesn't exactly exit the body. I check my tire after I drive and it's perfectly fine. Doesn't heat up any more than it would from driving. I think it's because of the air currents the tire creates. The exhaust just follows the currents out from under my jeep.
Makes sense. Id say if you sat in one spot reving your engine you might have an issue but when is that ever gonna happen? Also as long as you keep your tires rotated regular i think that would add even more peace of mind
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Driftunit
Makes sense. Id say if you sat in one spot reving your engine you might have an issue but when is that ever gonna happen? Also as long as you keep your tires rotated regular i think that would add even more peace of mind
I actually thought of the same exact thing, haha. That's why I don't worry about it. Pretty funny too when I start it up on a cold morning and the exhaust vapors pour out the side instead of the back
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Haha i bet its cool lookin lol. Id like to see them come from both sides. Funny story actually i built an exhaust system with turndowns for a friends mustang, and im very meticulous about my fab work i like it all just as symetric as possible while neat and clean looking. Anyways long story short, his car never did run right because of a mixup in his ignition system and it would cut out at times when he floored it before it would take off. After i finished his pipes i never could tell if i had his turndowns angled just right, and one day he got beside a 350z and they both kicked it while i followed. Sure enough his car spit and sputtered and cut out till finally i heard a pow! And 2 fire ***** came out the pipes at perfect angles and his car took off lol. Needless to say i had them just how i wanted them ha
Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Haha, it annoys the hell out of me to have my exhaust not completed yet. It also annoys me that it's kinda rigged up. But oh well, I ran out of money and couldn't find a shop to bend a tailpipe so I gave up for the time being. It still sounds good to me! And sorry Elexwiz, we kinda thread jacked for a little there...
Old 09-23-2012, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftunit
If he turns it out before the tire it wont be any lower than if it goes straight out like stock because you dont drop it lol. I have a jeep done like this and as long as you ar close to the tire it wont get hit but at the same time if you go to close there are the obvious issues there. I dont see there being any issues from shortening it to either after the axle or before the tire because you arent lowering or even re routing your piping except for a 1 ft turn out section that will be as high as stock anyway
if you are running tiny tires for your lift height you could get away with it i suppose. But I never had enough room for anything other than tire in my wheel opening.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

zoomies

Quick Reply: Tail pipe routing options