Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sye still vibing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Sye still vibing

Hey guys so here's my deal. My xj is sitting at 5"s of lift with a rugged ridge sye /d35 in the rear. My axle is shimmed 4* and the angle looks perfect on an angle finder. I still have my transfer case drop in because if I take it out my vibes get worse.

I have tried 3 different shafts in the rear they all vibrate slightly at highway speeds. I have also driven with out a rear shaft and just the front shaft in and it does not vibe then.

Why am I still having these problems all 3 shafts I used the u joints look great and there seems to be no play or slop in them.

What's the deal here? Could I have bad centering ***** in all 3 shafts?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 AM

Is your driveshaft balanced?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

what driveshaft did you use?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Pictures ? of angles ..

Last edited by freegdr; 06-08-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6

i didnt want to take the chance of a bad shaft so i just put my front shaft in the rear and a doner shaft in the front, so just incase it was a lil bit unbalance or had any imperfections, id only be using it in 4wd, not everyday while im in 2wd
Old 06-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Take it to a driveline shop and let someone with experience figure it out.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1998xjspt
i didnt want to take the chance of a bad shaft so i just put my front shaft in the rear and a doner shaft in the front, so just incase it was a lil bit unbalance or had any imperfections, id only be using it in 4wd, not everyday while im in 2wd
you're running a disconnect axle or lockout hubs? even not in 4wd the fron shaft free spins with the wheels....you would still have vibes and stress bearings and u-joints if the shaft was bad or unbalanced.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by EVILXJ
what driveshaft did you use?
I have 3 shafts. My stock front shaft which doesn't vibe when its in the front although the drive line angle is much less in the front. Then I have another front xj shaft and then I have the current shaft that's in my xj which is a front shaft from a grand cherokee. All of them vibe the same when put in. I mean its not a terrible vibe.. but I notice it.

I'll take a picture of my angle when I get off work.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Bluebyu

I have 3 shafts. My stock front shaft which doesn't vibe when its in the front although the drive line angle is much less in the front. Then I have another front xj shaft and then I have the current shaft that's in my xj which is a front shaft from a grand cherokee. All of them vibe the same when put in. I mean its not a terrible vibe.. but I notice it.

I'll take a picture of my angle when I get off work.
Get yourself a zj driveshaft. Maybe yours is too short. But like posted earlier, post pics so we can help judge. Maybe u joints are bad in those shafts. Could be couple things
Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Member

That's what I have as my main shaft that's in the jeep now. The xj shafts fit but they are on the short side. The zj shaft is perfect. Has the extra inch or so I need. But they all vibe the same at highway speeds.

Its enough to where I feel it in my arm rest and see it in my driver side mirror (shaking).

I have 4* shims plus my 3.5" leafs have a 2" extended shackle which helps my pinion angle as well. And its not like I have to much upward angle on the pinion because if I take the 1" tcase drop out the vibe gets extremely worse.

How much lower is the d35s pinion then say a 8.25?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

That's what I have as my main shaft that's in the jeep now. The xj shafts fit but they are on the short side. The zj shaft is perfect. Has the extra inch or so I need. But they all vibe the same at highway speeds.

Its enough to where I feel it in my arm rest and see it in my driver side mirror (shaking).

I have 4* shims plus my 3.5" leafs have a 2" extended shackle which helps my pinion angle as well. And its not like I have to much upward angle on the pinion because if I take the 1" tcase drop out the vibe gets extremely worse.

How much lower is the d35s pinion then say a 8.25?
Iirc the pinion angle does ned to be equal but at hghway speeds your pinon may be out of alignment. Maybe just try rebalancing the zj shaft
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I might do that. Run it up to the local ds shop and see what they get for that.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Here are two pics I just took. I think the pinion angle looks great. If anything it may be a little more up then it should...but as I said when I took the tcase drop out it was damn near perfect...yet the vibes got worse..which leads me to believe there is something wrong on the double cardian side

Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Here are two pics I just took. I think the pinion angle looks great. If anything it may be a little more up then it should...but as I said when I took the tcase drop out it was damn near perfect...yet the vibes got worse..which leads me to believe there is something wrong on the double cardian side
Yea pinon angle is high. Take tc drop out, use 2• Shims and see what happens
Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

The thing is though if the pinion angle was to high wouldn't taking the tc drop out make it better?

It contradicts its self because when the tc drop is out it makes the vibes worse but makes a better pinion angle.

Quick Reply: Sye still vibing