Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which SYE is best for my Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Which SYE is best for my Jeep

Hey guys I need a little help from some who have already added slip yoke eliminators to their Cherokee. I have done a little research and have decided that a SYE will be the best fix for my newly lifted Cherokee that has a 4" lift and pretty bad intermittent drive train vibration. It seems there are several options. I am looking for the most affordable but durable SYE that will allow me to use as many of my OEM parts as possible. IE front and rear drive shafts. I have a 93 with an auto transmission, 4.0 engine, and 8.25 Chrysler rear end. Does anyone have any suggestions for my best option for a SYE for this Jeep? Thanks for your advise.

Sonny B
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

U won't be able to use your rear driveshaft at all. U ll need to get another front driveshaft from a junkyard.

Serious offroad sells rigged ridge SYE for 160 bucks or something. It's exact same as advance adapters which is pretty good.

I run advance adapter SYE on my jeep and used a stock front driveshaft on my aw4/231 with 8.25 rear and it fits real good
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Thanks for your advise. I will look into those. Whats the deal with needing another front drive shaft. I can see that I would have to get a longer rear drive shaft but I am not sure why the front would not work?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

You need the extra front to run in the rear. The slip yoke eliminator eliminates the slip yoke that attaches your rear DS to the TC. You will need a double cardan style like the front. You can buy a new one from places like Tom woods or tattons, or you could save a couple hundred bucks and get a stock front DS (XJ 4.0 Auto) from a JY.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

First of all, what transfer case do you have?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

I just got a USA alloy one, nice unit. The cheapest to get a heavy duty custom drive shaft is a kit with both sye and drive shaft included on eBay. The guys name is ballistic jeep I believe. But it saves quite a bit over buying the 2 seperate. The front drive shaft for the rear is a temporary bandaid. I wouldn't keep it that way, in fact I'm not even going to try it.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by turtletrax
I just got a USA alloy one, nice unit. The cheapest to get a heavy duty custom drive shaft is a kit with both sye and drive shaft included on eBay. The guys name is ballistic jeep I believe. But it saves quite a bit over buying the 2 seperate. The front drive shaft for the rear is a temporary bandaid. I wouldn't keep it that way, in fact I'm not even going to try it.
Seller is ballisticjeepcom. I got a set from him and am happy with it. From what I can tell, the SYE (mine said "Crown Gear" on the paper work) is pretty much the same as everyone else sells. The driveshaft was custom made (paint not quite dry when I received it). Considerably sturdier than the front and with a longer slip joint. Despite being custom made, I received it within a day or two of purchase. Looks like the cost has gone up some though.

I don't know if I really need the upgraded drive shaft but I have the AX-15 and didn't really have the time to track down the longer front shaft from the right grand in a JY. You have the AW4 so I think you can use the front from any cherokee. You can use yours to confirm.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Default SYE that worked for me

I just want to take a second to thank you all for the feed back on my question and let you know what I did. I got an Advance Adapters SYE kit from Summit. I think it was about $190.00 with free shipping. There is a You Tube video that helps show how to install it. The kit was complete with new shortened rear housing with bearing in it and all the hardware to install it along with the new stronger output shaft. Picked up a used front axle from our local junk yard and about an hour latter it is all ready to go. Front axle fits in there perfectly. I don't have any complaints about it at all. Vibration that was in the drive line is 100 % gone.

I think if you lift your jeep and it develops the drive train vibrations like mine did and you have to drive it much that you might be better off going the route I did. This way I have a new rear bearing and I don't have to worry about any damage the vibrating may have done. Thanks for all your advice. Now I need to know how to stop the death wobble! Any ideas?