Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension lift question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Suspension lift question

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2" Suspension lift.

Specifically, this one: http://www.quadratec.com/products/76117_801.htm

It seems pretty straightforward, but being new to this I don't know how it will affect performance or mileage or perhaps increase stress on certain parts of my jeep.

It's a 98 Cherokee Classic.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Look up TeraFlex. I just got a 2" BB for my wifes Wrangler for 125$. You'd just want shakles for the rear instead of spring spacers.

Just get an alignment when your lift is installed.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Ok, not to be a jerk, but my 3 inch lift kit is cheaper then that. If ya only want two inches go for the fat bobs garage budget boost. It's got a 2 inch coil spacer and an adjustable 1.5-2 inch shackle in the back just like the poster before me said. It's also only 80 dollars I think. And lifts (for the most part) don't effect gas mileage, it's the giant tires that people get that ruin your gas mileage.

Last edited by OOdynamite; 06-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

You might get drive line vibrations due to bad pinion angles (on your rear drive shaft). You can fix this with a 1" transfer case drop which you can get for like less than $50. Just to warn you.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
AWP

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Newoffroader I see nothing wrong with spending more to get more. Some might piece it together for less $ but sometimes its nice to just open A box. To ad/reword newoffroader's post I am interested to know. With a 2" lift are people still comfortable with the handling at 70 mph or will it ware me out on a long trip? Does re-alignment make everything allright again. Transfercase lowering or SYE are things that could ad to the end cost but drivability is the difference beteween fun and regret I did this.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

You dont need shocks with a 2" lift but if you want to replace them go for it. Also with a shackle on the rear end you wont get drivline vibes so you wont need a T-case drop. Are u planning on getting larger tires?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by XJ?2010
You dont need shocks with a 2" lift but if you want to replace them go for it. Also with a shackle on the rear end you wont get drivline vibes so you wont need a T-case drop. Are u planning on getting larger tires?
Why wouldn't he get driveline vibes if he uses lift shackles..? Whenever you raise your jeep you run the risk of getting vibes.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

pretty much the only thing left would be to get new leafs for the rear and springs for front. the kit you are getting is a Budget Boost (BB) it lifts the body off the chassi and new shocks all the way around will help that older worn sus. the only REAL OFFROAD advantage to a BB is its ability to move the body up off the frame allowing bigger tire clearance. you do get the body up off the ground, but your entirter under cairage is left un-lifted. look for a complete lift kit and skip this one (IMHO) you are paying alot for basically new shocks... rustys is a pretty complete set up and you can get a lift kit with an aal or full pack (reccomended as aal's are just a bandaid...) idk, like i said- IMHO!...
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Why wouldn't he get driveline vibes if he uses lift shackles..? Whenever you raise your jeep you run the risk of getting vibes.
running a 2" BB from fat bobs garage (good ppl) its your basic poly spacers and drop brackets. there is no noticable driveline issues. i know there are dif. oppinions, but in my experience with it; no. no issues at all.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
You don't get driveline vibes with a lift smaller than 3" unless your driveline parts are
worn.

And honestly a tcase drop is not the best way to solve vibes.
Originally Posted by VTJeep
pretty much the only thing left would be to get new leafs for the rear and springs for front. the kit you are getting is a Budget Boost (BB) it lifts the body off the chassi and new shocks all the way around will help that older worn sus. the only REAL OFFROAD advantage to a BB is its ability to move the body up off the frame allowing bigger tire clearance. you do get the body up off the ground, but your entirter under cairage is left un-lifted. look for a complete lift kit and skip this one (IMHO) you are paying alot for basically new shocks... rustys is a pretty complete set up and you can get a lift kit with an aal or full pack (reccomended as aal's are just a bandaid...) idk, like i said- IMHO!...
Wait just a quick second.

Cherokees don't have frames. You can't lift the body off the frame. Not possible.

A budget boost consists of coil spring spacers for the front, and some form of lift for the rear. Either add a leaf, shakles, blocks (not good), or actual replacement leafs.

So a budget boost in concern to a Cherokee is indeed a ''complete lift kit''.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ?2010
You don't need new shocks, but its really recommended. The factory shocks are only going to extend and compress so far. Lifting allows for more suspension travel, both up and down. The cycling of the suspension past its acceptable compression and extension strokes.will prematurely wear the shocks. And if your shocks already have a high amount of miles, they really wont take.much abuse for long.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by VTJeep
nothing in this post is true... this is what happens when people who have no real experience offer up their opinions... stuff like this gets passed around...

oh and for the record... most budget boost kits use longer shackles in the rear, this actually helps rear flex quite a lot...

as for AAL just being a bandaid.... sorry, if your springs are in good shape than an AAL will work just fine... ask me how I know

and another thing... how are you lifting the body when the XJ is a unibody? there most be something special in your XJ... must be a Special edition... lol
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
nothing in this post is true... this is what happens when people who have no real experience offer up their opinions... stuff like this gets passed around...

oh and for the record... most budget boost kits use longer shackles in the rear, this actually helps rear flex quite a lot...

as for AAL just being a bandaid.... sorry, if your springs are in good shape than an AAL will work just fine... ask me how I know

and another thing... how are you lifting the body when the XJ is a unibody? there most be something special in your XJ... must be a Special edition... lol
Make that 2 with properly functioning AALs. Mine are full length, and are not sagging.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by ericfx1984

Everything you just said is 100 percent correct. I almost threw up when I read what that guy said. To the OP, do yourself a favor and go to fat bobs garage and get this:
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/_jeep...001-p1984.aspx

Or get a 3 inch kit for $290 from here:
http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1
Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
I almost threw up when I read what that guy said.
the sad part is this guy has a BB 2" and he still does not understand how it works

Quick Reply: Suspension lift question