Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Suggestions please

Ok Ive got lots goin on in the front area of the XJ. Here are plans. Bushwacker flat flares, tube style bumper and new headlight harness. So far Ive gotten front bumper removed, grill and headlight surrounds out, battery tray removed also. First question is...I know you use the passenger headlight socket to power relays, but what do you do with driver side headlight socket? Leave it or pull it out? Second, before I install headlight harness, should I go ahead and relocate vacuum ball thing? And where do most people relocate it to? And where do people put horns? That bout does it for electrical vacuum questions. Now, the fender liners are very brittle and are busted all up. Do they come out anyway for flat flares? Also what about brackets at lower fenders where horns are. Do they completely come out to be able to cut fender? And do flares just bolt from the back? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The info on here has really saved me tons of time. Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L, Inline Six

Well, you have alot of questions there man! Lets see if i can help with a few. Umm my 01 vacuum ball I relocated right next to the engine coolant tank. For some reason my vacuum line also went bad so you might just want to replace the line(-$10) or you may lose cruise control and suffer a VERY annoying high pitched noise at light throttle.I ziptied the whole thing right to a hose and its done well since. My horns mounted right behind my new bumper on brackets from the body above almost in the wheel well that were on the jeep when i bought it, think their after market though. Your going to have to at least cut your inner wheel well protector crap for most aftermarket bumpers, so good luck, and wrench on!
hope it answered a few for ya!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I can answer a few.

WarPath is on the money with the vac ball. For the flat flare installation, you can rip out the splash guards. The instructions call for trimming them if you want to keep them. No modifications to the horn brackets for the installation. I suggest reading the instructions thoroughly before jumping on the job. I'd link you to the instruction PDF, but their site seems to be having trouble.

As for the headlight harness, I'm pretty sure I just left the stock plug dangling there. I don't remember 100%. You're off to a good start!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I can answer a few.

WarPath is on the money with the vac ball. For the flat flare installation, you can rip out the splash guards. The instructions call for trimming them if you want to keep them. No modifications to the horn brackets for the installation. I suggest reading the instructions thoroughly before jumping on the job. I'd link you to the instruction PDF, but their site seems to be having trouble.

As for the headlight harness, I'm pretty sure I just left the stock plug dangling there. I don't remember 100%. You're off to a good start!
just got into a conversation with another member on some other thread (it's been along day) apparently that's an ambient temperature sensor, for one of those console thermometer gauges or whatdever. I'll keep yall posted if the rain ever stops ill get a good look at it and break out the multimeter
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

D/S headlight socket: Pack with dielectric grease and wrap it in electrical tape. Never know when you might need it for some reason.

Definitely relocate the vacuum ball. Your 1998 should have a nice place to put it up by the evap junk between the PDC and the firewall. Bonus if you don't have cruise control and can trim the vac line back.

Horns depends on type. If you've done an intake that eliminates the factory air cleaner that's a popular spot. Otherwise anywhere they will fit...

Fender liners are reliant upon the factory flares as they are held up by the brackets' fasteners (if you haven't taken your flares off yet, you'll see what I mean once you do) and little nylon push pin things. They pretty much come off together.

No idea on the gussets where the horns are. Might take a look at some build threads or bumper install guides for '97+.

The rear bumper caps are affixed in three ways: Bolt through the rear bumper towards the inside (which will snap), a screw in the bottom right behind the tire (which is rusted and will strip), and a bracket that the top clips onto (which, in trying to pry the bumper cap off, you will probably dislodge the rear flare as well)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Thanks. Ive got a bunch goin on. My son turns 16 on the 26th. Im workin a ton and Im tryin to streamline this work. Waitin on battery tray and motor mounts. Lift, bumper, radio and brake job before his bday. Ive got to get it. And its hunting season. Whoa! Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Btw its an 88. Has anyone got a pic of Vac ball mounted under coolant reservoir? Im hoping itll fit under there.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by shum8
Btw its an 88. Has anyone got a pic of Vac ball mounted under coolant reservoir? Im hoping itll fit under there.
I'll see about taking some pictures tomorrow for ya, sound like a good father/son project btw.