Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo issue after KC hilite install

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Stereo issue after KC hilite install

I recently installed KC HiLites 6" Apollo Pro Series 100 Watt Fog Lamps on my 97 xj arb bumper. Wired them following KC instructions which says they need them to run with low beams and shut off with HI beams. 2 days after I installed them I went to play my radio/cd/aux on y sony xplod and it was fine until I came to a stop in my jeep. While sitting at idle my radio slowly lowered itself until it was silent in volume (heat was running at full blast, headlights with 2 KC fogs whereon, and turn signal was on). When it lowered itself the stereo headunit didn't dim, it just lowered in sound. I looked at my battery gauge and it almost dropped to eleven. Nothing else was effected (dash didn't dim, no power loss of any other electrical devices). Once I started moving again the radio volume came on again.

My first thought was that I was drawing too much power from the the battery. So during the day I checked it out without anything but the radio running and it was worse. My volume wouldn't come on at all. So I checked my lights and everything else electrical and they worked fine. I drove it on to the highway and after 8 minutes of driving at 60mph the radio came on. Turned the headlights on and it cut off immediately

I think my battery is bad, but I just replaces it 5 months ago and the one before that was only 2 years old. I am going to check the battery and alternator tomorrow or so with a voltage meter. Could it be anything else? maybe a bad grounding or other bad wiring job. I checked some grounding for the kc lights and they looked fine. Right now I am running the stock alternator and an interstate battery. 2 months ago I installed an arb bumper which comes with indicators that flash and I wired them to blink with my turn signals. No problems with radio after that but my turn signal relay went bad maybe coincidentally shortly after. I replaced that and do not think that has anything to do with my problem because I noticed the problem after the kC install.

thanks, I have searched all over for a problem similar to this.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Tested batter and alternator and the battery is not holding its charge. Guess I will have it replaced under the warranty. Will update if it fixes issue
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 str8 6

Another problem you may come in contact with is the iod fuse it controls things like the stereo and internal dome lights I know you centraledbit to the battery but my battery stopped holding a charged because something internal was drawing power and once I pulled that fuse my battery kept charge
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Side thought, ate you using a relay? Because your factory wiring will not be enough to support the current that the kc's need..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by xjthebeast
Another problem you may come in contact with is the iod fuse it controls things like the stereo and internal dome lights I know you centraledbit to the battery but my battery stopped holding a charged because something internal was drawing power and once I pulled that fuse my battery kept charge
Replacing the battery today. I will look at iod fuse. thanks

Originally Posted by arorton
Side thought, ate you using a relay? Because your factory wiring will not be enough to support the current that the kc's need..
The fog lights are ran to a relay supplied by KC. I will try to upload some pictures of the full setup later.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Default pictures of set up

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

same problem with new battery radio lasted a lot longer after new battery install though...like a good 20 mins while driving. Then same thing volume out when at at idle and sometimes back on when driving. i have the battery on a charger for now. maybe the headunit is broken or there is a problem with my stereo amp. I dont know a lot about batteries or alternator but maybe they need an upgrade. Here are the specs on my alternator and battery: Interstate MT58 (540 CCA, 675 CA) and Remy New Alternator - 90 Amps (part #94611) a 90 amp alternator sounds a too small to me
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 str8 6

To check alternator get a voltmeter attach it to both sides of the battery with the jeep off it should be around 9 and turn on the jeep the voltmeter should read about 14 that is tellin you it is working. Oreileys does free battery checks as well. Also use an electrical draw light on the negative post of the battery with the black battery cable and the jeep off if the light lights up you have a draw somewhere keep pulling fuses until the light turns off that fuse will tell you where the draw in your electrical is. If you have more questions or need me to clarify something pm me or just repost
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

To check alternator get a voltmeter attach it to both sides of the battery with the jeep off it should be around 9 and turn on the jeep the voltmeter should read about 14 that is tellin you it is working. Oreileys does free battery checks as well. Also use an electrical draw light on the negative post of the battery with the black battery cable and the jeep off if the light lights up you have a draw somewhere keep pulling fuses until the light turns off that fuse will tell you where the draw in your electrical is. If you have more questions or need me to clarify something pm me or just repost
9? If it reads 9 with the Jeep off I'd say the battery was dead...

Every battery I've tested should read between 11-12.

It might drop to 9 while starting the Jeep.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by lowrange2
9? If it reads 9 with the Jeep off I'd say the battery was dead...

Every battery I've tested should read between 11-12.

It might drop to 9 while starting the Jeep.
battery with jeep off tested at 12. started with just jeep running and alternator sat around high 13. turned on headlights and dropped to low 13, turned on fog lights and dropped to high 12, so i started to test with everything running (heat, turn signal brake lights, radio which gave no sound, and lights) dropped to low 12 and and continually dropping. So i decided to go back to just the car running and waited for alternator to rise. Once back to 13 i had someone hop in the jeep and press brakes. brake lights were dropping alternator to low 13s and hi 12. Sounds to me like a bad alternator. XJTHEBEAST I also tried the IOD fuse. I had the car turned off, nothing running and removed it. went back to plug it in and it was sparking. It stayed hot. I thought about why it was doing that for a while and remembered that the jeep came of the showroom floor in 97 with a low jack system. i never removed it so i continually runs even when car is off

Last edited by DNNDRTY; 02-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM

I left my new battery on charger for hours and now radio works for longer periods of time. I think I will probably have to replace alternator down the road.