Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Cherokee or Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Cherokee or Explorer

Pondering weather to keep my old Cherokee or trade for an Explorer. My mom is looking at getting a new vehicle and would use her old Explorer as a trade-in. An option would be that I get her Explorer and use my Cherokee as a trade-in. I love the Cherokee, and have had it for 14 years, but could use something with more hauling ability and a larger back seat.

First option is keeping my Cherokee. It's a 99 4x4 auto with the straight 6 196000 miles on it. Is in good shape except for some light rust forming on the drivers door. Motor is in good shape, with some light piston slap common to the straight 6. Has been very reliable but has some of the wiring issues common to the XJs.

Second option is the Explorer. It's a 2000 4x4 auto with SOHC V6 and 90000 miles on it. Mom had it since new, and it's in very good shape. The CD changer doesn't work, but I'd swap out the stereo with something more modern anyway. Motor has a little timing chain rattle at startup common to the SOHCs. It's been very reliable, with the most frustrating issue, a leaking intake plenum gasket, being a simple fix.

I do towing and hauling, and the Explorer would need to be fitted with a tow package (something I had to do with the Cherokee back when I bought it). I don't do much off-roading and what I do, either are capable of in stock form. Both currently have the same size tires, so I'd keep my year-old tires. I know the Cherokee from stem to stern, but also know the Explorer pretty well too.

Last edited by Bluelight; 08-30-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87,96,98,99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bluelight
Pondering weather to keep my old Cherokee or trade for an Explorer. My mom is looking at getting a new vehicle and would use her old Explorer as a trade-in. An option would be that I get her Explorer and use my Cherokee as a trade-in. I love the Cherokee, and have had it for 14 years, but could use something with more hauling ability and a larger back seat.

First option is keeping my Cherokee. It's a 99 4x4 auto with the straight 6 196000 miles on it. Is in good shape except for some light rust forming on the drivers door. Motor is in good shape, with some light piston slap common to the straight 6. Has been very reliable but has some of the wiring issues common to the XJs.

Second option is the Explorer. It's a 2000 4x4 auto with SOHC V6 and 90000 miles on it. Mom had it since new, and it's in very good shape. The CD changer doesn't work, but I'd swap out the stereo with something more modern anyway. Motor has a little timing chain rattle common to the SOHCs. It's been very reliable, with the most frustrating issue, a leaking intake plenum gasket, being a simple fix.

I do towing and hauling, and the Explorer would need to be fitted with a tow package (something I had to do with the Cherokee back when I bought it). I don't do much off-roading and what I do, either are capable of in stock form. Both currently have the same size tires, so I'd keep my year-old tires. I know the Cherokee from stem to stern, but also know the Explorer pretty well too.

I have had both/ I just sold a 2000 and a 99 Explorers. Both were XLTs Both had leather interiors and Both were 2 WD with the 4.0 V6. The 99 had high mileage 184000. But I bought it from my sister who was the only owner. So the dealership did all the maintenance including the timing chain. Great truck for towing limited load and long cruises. Much more comfortable than the Cherokee. The 2000 I got at auction. The poor original owner just paid Merchants tire here in town to do all the maintenance. She had over $4500 worth of work done the month she sold it. Merchants Did 1/10th of what they charged her for. Total rip offs which I reported to their headquarters. It had 123.000 miles on it. Timing chain was making noise. This is a Huge cost on these 4.0s. I let the buyer know all the maint records were BS. And broke even on the truck.
They are more refined better riding trucks for their 2 wheel version.
We had a fleet of them at work all 4x4s. all 4.0s. The hubs were a major issue and the 4x4 system was one of the worst I have driven. And we had major issues with all 24 Explorers we used as fleet vehicles. From 1998 to 2006. we ditched them all for Ford F250 Super duties.
I sold my explorers to get 2 Cherokees. But the explorers were nicer inside and rode better. And I will never buy another one.
I have always had Jeeps and always will. Are they better than Explorers? Probably not for day to day use. Off road NO comparison Jeep wins hands down.
But the Chain Noise is NOT A SMALL ISSUE!!! in a 4.0 Explorer. It is a major repair unless you have the timing chain kit. and can do it yourself.
The F250s 4X4 Trucks were a different story. I would give up one of my Cherokees for the 2012 one I left behind when I left the company. ( Not all But one)

Last edited by eddyt; 08-30-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wrong years. they were 2000 and 1999
Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Decided not to do the swap. Too much hassle to swap things around in the short time frame, and the trade-in was better on the Explorer. I also had enough recent money into the Jeep with the new rear end and cooling system, and the Explorer would be essentially starting over for minimal benefit. Really want to hold out for something larger, like an F-150 or an Expedition EL.

Did figure out that the rattling at idle was the cat heat shield, and not the timing chain. It had some chain rattle at startup, that I figured out like most valve train noise at startup that was sensitive to oil filter quality. Basically no Fram = no noise.