Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Steering stabilizer

After my 4.5" lift, alignment and steering wheel index the jeep is wandering a little bit. I have yet to replace the previous stabilizer, could this help?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be other things like tie rod ends or even ball joints.Did the alignment shop say anything about either of those?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Nope that won't do it. Tie rods, ball joints, steering box, etc.

Did the 4.5" lift consist of an adjustable track bar? Is your axle centered?

What is your toe set at? Caster?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 AM

Toe in is where it should be, and I'm not sure about the castor. Now with tie rod movement, should I just get under it and be able to move it back and forth by hand? If that is the issue that is. And the axel appears to be centered.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The basic idea
Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Did the lift kit include an adjustable track bar?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM

No adjustable trac bar
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0L

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Stand in front of your Jeep, look at your trackbar and drag link - if they aren't running parallel to each other you may need to go adjustable and possibly a drop bracket Personally I went with the Iron Rock double shear. When I put the 6.5" lift in, I had to put it in. It corrected the angles and improved my steering.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by young33
No adjustable trac bar
There's your problem, you either need to relocated it or get a adjustable.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

No adjustable trac bar
How did I know. Your axle isn't centered and that is your problem. Get a QUALITY adjustable double sheer. And no, Rough Country and Rustys are not quality. I'm talkin Iron Rock Offroad, Ironman 4x4, Clayton, Rockkrawler, Rubicon Express, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZINGGG
How did I know. Your axle isn't centered and that is your problem. Get a QUALITY adjustable double sheer. And no, Rough Country and Rustys are not quality. I'm talkin Iron Rock Offroad, Ironman 4x4, Clayton, Rockkrawler, Rubicon Express, etc.
An adjustable HD track bar will automatically center the axel and take care of it?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

As long as you put it to the right length, yes it'll center it. Might take a couple times of putting it up in the air, bolting it up and putting it down until you get it perfect. And with it being centered, I'm assuming that'll solve your wandering problem. Unless you have other issues.

The lift had at least new lower control arms, right? I'm betting it didn't come with uppers?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZINGGG
As long as you put it to the right length, yes it'll center it. Might take a couple times of putting it up in the air, bolting it up and putting it down until you get it perfect. And with it being centered, I'm assuming that'll solve your wandering problem. Unless you have other issues. The lift had at least new lower control arms, right? I'm betting it didn't come with uppers?
Yeah it has lcas, and is there a way to measure it to make sure it's perfectly centered?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

After my 4.5" lift, alignment and steering wheel index the jeep is wandering a little bit. I have yet to replace the previous stabilizer, could this help?
wow, so far everything i read looks like good advice.. either way, you'll usually find it said that a steering stabilizer will actually just mask any preexisting issues and properly set up, you wont even need one.

Originally Posted by wikiwaugh
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Stand in front of your Jeep, look at your trackbar and drag link - if they aren't running parallel to each other you may need to go adjustable and possibly a drop bracket Personally I went with the Iron Rock double shear. When I put the 6.5" lift in, I had to put it in. It corrected the angles and improved my steering.

Hope that helps!
basically.. the more parallel you can get your track bar and drag link, the better. too much angle causes bump steer and just harsh characteristics in general. think short arms on 6.5" lift.. wait, tell me your on la's..

Yeah it has lcas, and is there a way to measure it to make sure it's perfectly centered?
find center point on tires or use a long enough piece of wood to brace on out side of tire to use as a consistent reference point. measure to the center of chassis.. in the time i wrote that you coulda measured. its not hard.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
wow, so far everything i read looks like good advice.. either way, you'll usually find it said that a steering stabilizer will actually just mask any preexisting issues and properly set up, you wont even need one.

basically.. the more parallel you can get your track bar and drag link, the better. too much angle causes bump steer and just harsh characteristics in general. think short arms on 6.5" lift.. wait, tell me your on la's..

find center point on tires or use a long enough piece of wood to brace on out side of tire to use as a consistent reference point. measure to the center of chassis.. in the time i wrote that you coulda measured. its not hard.
Ok, cool yeah that sounds easy enough. And I know it's just a bandaid and you said I might not even need a new stabilizer but, I'm gonna replace it simply because it's still the oem one with 154xxx on it. What would be a good HD stabilizer to get? And I'm probably gonna ask for the iron rock off-road adjustable trac bar for Christmas. Will waiting that long result in any serious wear on the steering?

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer