Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Setup Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0I
Default Steering Setup Problems

Steering Setup Problems-20151213_172752.jpg

Steering Setup Problems-20151213_172718.jpg

Steering Setup Problems-20151213_172727.jpg

Steering Setup Problems-20151213_172806.jpg

Steering Setup Problems-20151213_172740.jpgI bought the Serious Offroad 1 Ton UTK setup and put it on. Well getting rid of that steering stabilizer has made all my problems come up. Anyway after the install I had an episode of DW going about 55. My heim joint for the track bar on the uni body side is a lil loose now, and the bushings for the quick discos on my sway bar got busted. Im trying to replace this stuff but I'm not sure which track bar to get and Im not sure how to tell which setup this is for parts. Steering is a lil sketchy. Already replaced both hub bearings
Anyone know what this track bar and sway bar is? Does my steering seem setup right as far as yall can tell from the pics? Sorry for the goofy perspective pics I can't turn em on my app
Old 12-13-2015, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

First thing I'd do is scrap that track bar and replace it with a IRO double shear bar and new bracket, then either cut those discos down to the proper legenth or buy new ones.

When was the last time you had it aligned?
How old are your ball joints?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by chipmaker
First thing I'd do is scrap that track bar and replace it with a IRO double shear bar and new bracket, then either cut those discos down to the proper legenth or buy new ones.

When was the last time you had it aligned?
How old are your ball joints?
All my ball joints are new except for the ones on the knuckles but their in good shape. Latest alignment was after the hub bearing install. So by cut em down you mean the metal bars that have the holes for the pins correct? Is that top bushing setup coming from the sway bar supposed to be flat and not angled? They won't spin at all so I dunno if that rubber is seized and tight or what but I guess it's not supposed to be that way?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Get a double shear track bar bracket. The stock is garbage
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by worleyburd
All my ball joints are new except for the ones on the knuckles but their in good shape. Latest alignment was after the hub bearing install. So by cut em down you mean the metal bars that have the holes for the pins correct? Is that top bushing setup coming from the sway bar supposed to be flat and not angled? They won't spin at all so I dunno if that rubber is seized and tight or what but I guess it's not supposed to be that way?
The sway bar should be at a slight angle, no where near as much as yours. You can cut and redrill the center tube to make them shorter. Unless you know how old the ball joints are, change them. A new set of Spicer joints cost less than $100 and only take a few hours to change. Just because they "look and feel good" doesn't mean that they are. BTW you only have 4 ball joints, two on each side of the axle holding the knuckle on. The rest are tie rod ends.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by chipmaker

The sway bar should be at a slight angle, no where near as much as yours. You can cut and redrill the center tube to make them shorter. Unless you know how old the ball joints are, change them. A new set of Spicer joints cost less than $100 and only take a few hours to change. Just because they "look and feel good" doesn't mean that they are. BTW you only have 4 ball joints, two on each side of the axle holding the knuckle on. The rest are tie rod ends.
Alrighty sounds good. Right now the weight is sitting on the pins in the holes, should that pipe with the holes sit on the connector parts instead of hovering with the pins keeping them in place? and yeah that's my bad on the TREs I have a problem calling them ball joints. Thanks for the help I appreciate it