Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering jerky

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default steering jerky

I'm having an issue with my Jeep jerking to the side while driving although my steering wheel is held straight. It's noticeably worse around 40-50mph. It's not like an "alignement wandering" feeling, its more of a jerking. It doesn't jerk me out of my lane but if I don't adjust quickly it will take me out of my lane.

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer w/ 6.5" lift (4.5" springs w/ 2" spacers and shackles) front and rear, dbl steering stabilizers, steering box brace,new tie rod ends (force flex ends), upper and lower adjustable control arms, adj trackbar and mount. I had an issue with Death Wobble but I replace necessary parts and had the alignement done and haven't noticed the issue anymore. I baught the jeep a few months ago and the tires are almost bald and the wheels have a deep backspacing. Could this be contributing to it? I will be buying new tires and wheels soon anyways.

I've done most of the work myself with exception of the alignement and have never had this issue with other jeeps. I've driven lifted jeeps and have never had this issue but I've never had 6.5" of lift either. If I had to guess by eyeballing it, my front tires seem offset slightly to the rear tires. Would this cause that issue? Any advice would be much appreciated! thanks!!

Lance
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 Renix

r your tires starting to separate on the front.. If you jack it up and they are bad then you will see a bubble in the tread. If it is only minor you may need to take it to a tire shop and have them put your tires on the balancer to see if it is separated.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L
Default fixed it

Well, after replacing some suspension parts and getting new tires and wheels, the problem has gotten alot better. There is still some slight jerking in the steering but nothing like it use to be. It's probably because of the super swampers I have on there now. The old tires werent bubbling but they were cracked so that could have contributed to the problem. Also, I found spots where weights had been, so they probably came off while driving. But all is well, thanks for the input!