Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some idiot messed up my track bar, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default some idiot messed up my track bar, HELP!

Ok, so I got my new wheels and tires, and I'm all jazzed up. Aside from minor rubbing due to my axle be shifted over after the lift... but now worries, because my adjustable track bar showed up soon after. My joy only lasted a couple hours however because some moron really screwed things up trying to install my new track bar.

Having loaned out his long breaker bar, this guy was unable to get the castle nut off at the frame end, so instead of waiting to get the nut off and using a pickle fork to take the tie rod end out, (and since he didn't care about destroying the old track bar and was more anxious than smart) he cut it and figured he'd push it up through the hole instead... not even thinking it may be tapered, at an angle, etc. What an idiot right?

In case you haven't figured it out, this idiot, is your truly and now I'm stuck and have no idea how I'm gonna get this thing out.... I tried drilling it in multiple spots, tightening down the nut onto the tie rod end, using a jack and a punch to try and push it out (both front tires were off the ground, and nothing) The end was cut and ground down so now its flush with the bottom of the track bar bracket so I can't even weld anything to it, etc.

I really don't want to have to take the bracket off, anybody got any brilliant ideas?? I'm at a complete loss.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you grind off the castle nut? or grind down one side of it and use a chisel and knock off the castle nut?

or get a Nut Splitter on it?

Last edited by Mattpar; 03-30-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Mattpar
can you grind off the castle nut? or grind down one side of it and use a chisel and knock off the castle nut?
I got my breaker bar back and was able to get the castle nut off... furthering my frustration actually because if I would have just waited I could probably have used a pickle fork to then get the end out. The problem is that I can't bang it down and banging the cut end up does nothing....
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

It really wasn't that bad to take the bracket off or atleast wasn't for me. So if you have to go that route I wouldn't worry to much just be generous with the pb blast
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Nemx735
It really wasn't that bad to take the bracket off or atleast wasn't for me. So if you have to go that route I wouldn't worry to much just be generous with the pb blast
Did you have to take the drivers side spring out to do it?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 AM

Drill up through it. Make progressively bigger holes until it falls out.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 98 XJS
Did you have to take the drivers side spring out to do it?
I didn't when I put my double sheer bracket on. If i recall right I did have to pull the washer fluid bottle. Also my bolts came out easy as pie and I live in MN where they love to use road salt. Oh and mines an '89.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by outkast

I didn't when I put my double sheer bracket on. If i recall right I did have to pull the washer fluid bottle. Also my bolts came out easy as pie and I live in MN where they love to use road salt. Oh and mines an '89.
Thats good to hear! i've been PB Blasting to just in case. Actually.... for $50 more and since I'm probably taking the bracket of now anyway..... I think I'm going to just order the double shear kit. I probably should have done that in the first place. Did you notice a big difference in your steering play?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I didn't have to take the coils out. I used an extension to get around them. I didn't have to take the washer
Bottle out I have a 99