Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Snorkel Question

I have a snorkel/intake related question. I picked up a Chinese snorkel from a fellow CF member, and the tube routes along the inner part of the fender, and then up into the engine (where I cut a hole). It has a quality air filter in the air box. When I was driving around town, I notice my temps are slightly higher than usual. It worried me so much to where I replaced my t-stat just to make sure (from OE 195 to 180). Over the weekend I went wheeling. Half way through the trip, I'm almost in the red. I notice my snorkel tube disconnected. Not wanting to reattach it, I throw my previous cone shaped filter Click here for pic it looks like that, but without the silver center cap, previous owner had it like that. Anyway, my overheating issue went away and temps dropped drastically. (But my fuel pump is making a loud whining noise again, which went away with the snorkel.) I made a thread on the intake issue, but it seems to be a dud, since there's no connection between the intake and fuel pump. I'm mainly wondering about how snorkels work. Would it make a difference if I kept my cone filter in the air box, put the lid on, and then attach the snorkel? Or would that be too restrictive?

Sorry for a wall of text. If I forgot anything, I'll be glad to answer!

Cheers
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

i dont think there would be any problem it would be no more restrictive than the regular filer
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Have you changed your radiator yet? As suggested in another thread you started... That would probably help with your temperature
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by K-SKI
i dont think there would be any problem it would be no more restrictive than the regular filer
That's what I thought. Is there much of a difference from the snorkel air ram and the cone shape? I mean I'd say there's more air being pushed in constantly with the snorkel due to its location, compared to the filter in the box under the hood.

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Have you changed your radiator yet? As suggested in another thread you started... That would probably help with your temperature
Not yet, one of the guys recommended I do the shroud first in the other thread I started. And would you rather have I ask my snorkel question in the radiator thread? Since this is my first snorkel, I want to know if I have to deal with something differently or something of that nature. I'd also like the find out why I'm cooler with the cone filter, and not the snorkel. That doesn't sound radiator related to me.

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 05-15-2012 at 09:51 PM.