Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I use this hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Default Should I use this hood?

After my 98 XJ bit the dust this past fall, I've recently picked up a 94 XJ. My 98 had a nicer looking hood that received a lot of comments from people. But I can't find it online to tell if they just liked how it looked or if it is actually a nice aftermarket hood. It seems to be raised in the middle and have some venting there as well (see pictures).

Have you ever seen this one before? Is it worth taking the time to install and paint it on my new rig?

Thanks for any insights and thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Should I use this hood?-img_20160301_174730221.jpg   Should I use this hood?-img_20160301_174721842.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

It's really cool. I guess if you want to you can because people do put spacers on the hood hinges to allow air to escape through the back of the hood. This seems like a much more attractive and clean version of that because the gap on that good will allow the air that goes through the grill to come out of the back of the engine compartment and also will allow a nice cooling flow. If you have the time I'd say try it out. But make sure you can still put the stock good back ok if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I think it looks better than spacers - would you be painting it and taking that dent out? Also think it would look better without the logo on there.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I don't think you should use it. You should send it to me instead.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Reflection made a steel cowl hood back in the day, but it's discontinued now. I like this one. A fuzz taller.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by offroadlumberjack
After my 98 XJ bit the dust this past fall, I've recently picked up a 94 XJ. My 98 had a nicer looking hood that received a lot of comments from people. But I can't find it online to tell if they just liked how it looked or if it is actually a nice aftermarket hood. It seems to be raised in the middle and have some venting there as well (see pictures).

Have you ever seen this one before? Is it worth taking the time to install and paint it on my new rig?

Thanks for any insights and thoughts.
I have seen it and think the name was Reflexxion and don't think it is available for the XJ anymore.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Here is a composite one for the XJ. $589

http://www.e-bodyparts.com/Car-Hoods...ges/TFCH-3.htm
Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by kylemason
I think it looks better than spacers - would you be painting it and taking that dent out? Also think it would look better without the logo on there.
That is pretty cool.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I think it looks better than spacers
Not only that, but it's a whole lot safer in the event of a collision. No need to have that hood fly through the windshield.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely want to paint it and take the dent out. That would allow me to clean up the two rust spots on it too. But then again, I've never done any of that. Is it a pretty involved process?

It does look just like the old Reflexxion hood. It seems the big benefit to it was cooling. And they do look cool!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love that hood.

Fortunate you.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Yeah, I'd definitely want to paint it and take the dent out. That would allow me to clean up the two rust spots on it too. But then again, I've never done any of that. Is it a pretty involved process? It does look just like the old Reflexxion hood. It seems the big benefit to it was cooling. And they do look cool!
I find the process easy, but I'm not a professional, and don't have professional standards. I've painted numerous random projects over the years. I think if you like the look of the hood you should use it, if you don't like the look of the hood you could make a good bit off of it because a lot of people do like it. It's your call really.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Yeah, I'd definitely want to paint it and take the dent out. That would allow me to clean up the two rust spots on it too. But then again, I've never done any of that. Is it a pretty involved process?

It does look just like the old Reflexxion hood. It seems the big benefit to it was cooling. And they do look cool!
Just cause that is such a cool hood and, I am guessing, rare I would have it professionally done. The hood needs to be preserved. Wouldn't surprise me if you were not getting all sorts of PM's to sell it. Hell I think I would snap that up given the opportunity.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Just cause that is such a cool hood and, I am guessing, rare I would have it professionally done. The hood needs to be preserved. Wouldn't surprise me if you were not getting all sorts of PM's to sell it. Hell I think I would snap that up given the opportunity.

Yes!

OP,.......... DO NOT BUTCHER THAT HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are not willing to have it done right.......sell it to someone who is.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Yes!

OP,.......... DO NOT BUTCHER THAT HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are not willing to have it done right.......sell it to someone who is.
Thanks for the insight. You all have been extremely helpful. You've pointed me in the direction of the cowl induction hood, which I had no clue that this was. It does look rare. If I don't decide to keep it and paint it up right, I'll definitely sell it to someone who is going to take care of it.

Quick Reply: Should I use this hood?