Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackel issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So I finally got my XJ on the road, and right away I noticed a loud bang over every bump...apparently my shackles are hitting the body a lot.

I have a longer set of shackles, but I don't really want to lift the rear anymore. I have the ironrock offroad 5.5" springs. I'm going to try to clearance that area tomorrow, but I'm not how much I can/ should cut out. Suggestions?

Suggestions?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Is the top leaf bent against the hitch?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That leaf spring looks like it's too long for your XJ. Did they come bent like that or is that trail damage? I've never seen leafs bent like that unless they were shot. The one option I could think of would be shackle relocators and extended shackles in the more "forward position"
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

that leaf is SUPPOSE to be bent like that. it is normal for those leafs.

but you either need shackle relocation brackets or to contact IRO and see what is up
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

the interesting thing is they are the correct angle, first time I've seen that with stock shackles without a relocation kit. since they are brand new i would Email them and send them this pics and ask what the remedy should be....
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Yes, they are brand new IRO springs, they've never been on the trail, he'll, they've only been on the jeep for about 40 miles.

I was very surprised I had such a good angle too, I've read alot about XJ shackle setups, and never come across that good of an angle on stock shackles.

Like I said, I don't really want to do longer shackles because I have the perfect amount of lift right now. Relocation brackets fall
In the same category I believe. I'll have to email that pick to IRO and see what thy say.

I'm supposed to go to the Ironrange offroad park Saturday tho, so there is probably going to be some cutting and clearancing done tomorrow. If you've seen my build thread you'll know I'm not afraid to cut this thing up haha.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

if you trim your shackle mount, make sure you weld in some bracing. what you are gonna trim is the structure of your shackle hanger.

it looks to me like you should be able to get away with just a set of boomerang shackles. they wouldnt give anymore lift, and would keep your shackle angle the same.

thats what i would do, but i would make IRO pay for it! or send you the correct lenght leafs.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
that leaf is SUPPOSE to be bent like that. it is normal for those leafs.
See, you learn something new everyday. That's the first time I've ever seen new springs like that. I guess they tried elimate the shackle angle problem early but it seems they are just a bit too long. Good to know.

but you either need shackle relocation brackets or to contact IRO and see what is up
Rough Country has a nice set of relocators. I'm thinking about getting them myself.

Last edited by 96_xj; 05-19-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by Lyon
Rough Country has a nice set of relocators. I'm thinking about getting them myself.
why did you edit my quote? ...

and yes RC does make a nice set. I get mine today.

OP I can let you know how much lift it gives the rear end. they say about 3/4" but I am taking measurements and doing a full write up for them.

keep us posted as to what IRO says
Attached Thumbnails Shackel issues-screen-shot-2011-05-19-7.56.59-am.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM

I really don't want to do Relocation brackets, but if I do I'll just make them. I guess I'm just gonna clearance as much as I can for this weekend and then decide what I want to build after that.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM

OP I can let you know how much lift it gives the rear end. they say about 3/4" but I am taking measurements and doing a full write up for them.

I was trying to comment on both statements you made and that's the way the format split it up. That's why I changed the colors as well so you knew they were my responses.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

I have this problem also, but it only hits the bracket at almost full flex, so its only limits my flex minimally. Still annoying though, seeing as i could have another couple inches of articulation. I may do a shackle and spacer boost to 4.5 in the future which would solve this problem.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by Lyon
I was trying to comment on both statements you made and that's the way the format split it up. That's why I changed the colors as well so you knew they were my responses.
fixed
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

I'm interested in seeing how these compare to the HD Offroad Engineering relocation brackets. They look easier to install.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Well IRO emailed back and said that these springs need to be run with a lift shackle, but because no one told me that when I ordered they'll give me 25% off new shackles. I already have longer shackles, but like I said I don't want to run them because then I'd have 5 inches of lift in the front and 7 in the back, and I'd need a SYE righ away with that, where as right now I'm skating by with a TC drop.

So it looks like I'll be clearancing for this weekend as much as I can and then figure out how I'm gonna fix it for real.

Quick Reply: Shackel issues