Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty adjustabe track bar tie rod long term

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusty adjustabe track bar tie rod long term

I have a 99 xj with a ecomomy 2.5 lift . Ineed a new track bar anyway .It appears the front axle is still located correctly ,so I probally don't need a adjustable track bar. But I thought Rusty's are a few dollars more ,if they would last as long as the OE I would get one. I'm worried about the tie rod end side wearing out. They say they use a Moog PN that they use. I'm worried ,there's alot of force on that end. And I wonder if the OE end is better designed for that force than a tie rod end...Its a daily driver and I am not interested in having to replace a part constantly.......Any long term daily drivers have input to share.?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You dont want rustys, period. Rustys has multiple documented cases for failures.

If you want a nice replacement...look into something like the JKS track bar.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Xj88
You dont want rustys, period. Rustys has multiple documented cases for failures.

If you want a nice replacement...look into something like the JKS track bar.

Can you post a single case with photos of failures on any piece of his equipment in recent years?

In 3 years now on several forums I have asked the same question no less than 75 times and not one yet. Most of all you hear is "hear say" on all the cases I have came across. I started running Rustys equipment about 4 yrs ago a lift at first, since then have bought over $5K of his parts so far not a single issue.

As for his cheapest track bar I don't know about the quality, but the adj. dbl. shear one is of very good quality as is the JKS.
k
Old 03-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Can you post a single case with photos of failures on any piece of his equipment in recent years?

In 3 years now on several forums I have asked the same question no less than 75 times and not one yet. Most of all you hear is "hear say" on all the cases I have came across. I started running Rustys equipment about 4 yrs ago a lift at first, since then have bought over $5K of his parts so far not a single issue.

As for his cheapest track bar I don't know about the quality, but the adj. dbl. shear one is of very good quality as is the JKS.
k
Sure, with just 30 seconds of searching I came across this right off the bat:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/br...-parts-108883/

Ive also personally watched the single sheer rustys TB with the TRE snap in the same location.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Thank You for that post first time for a response in 4 yrs from anyone, anywhere!!!!

The best part was on the same piece as OP asked about I guess that was a 5 yr old post. I have no experience with it as stated about that TB. IYO what is causing the failures the tubing to thin?

I have found the vast majority of the time the posts made about Rustys are only what they read somewhere with no firsthand knowledge of the product at all period. Like I said thanks for the link I will use it myself, but 4 yrs and $5K in parts no issues so far.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 03-03-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Thank You for that post first time for a response in 4 yrs from anyone, anywhere!!!! The best part was on the same piece as OP asked about I guess that was a 5 yr old post. I have no experience with it as stated about that TB. IYO what is causing the failures the tubing to thin? I have found the vast majority of the time the posts made about Rustys are only what they read somewhere with no firsthand knowledge of the product at all period. Like I said thanks for the link I will use it myself, but 4 yrs and $5K in parts no issues so far.
I ran 1 rusty a lift in 2009 on my first ever XJ..it didn't get wheeled hard..no issues with the kit.

However I've seen reports of their CAs being like 1/8 wall..which is not much better than stock..I don't have the ability to verify this because I don't run Rustys. There was another thread on another website I found where the track bar failed..but the picture links were broken.

I think over the last 5 years I've seen 4 or so documented (with pictures) failures of the Rustys TB