Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge XHD Ultra Seat Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Default Rugged Ridge XHD Ultra Seat Installation Help

I'm trying to install a Rugged Ridge XHD Ultra Seat in my 1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Ran into a problem....my Jeep is one of those that has a "Rocker" style seat. The factory seat riser is curved, not flat. And...the seat installations instructions are poor.

Can anyone here help me with the installation??

Thanks,

Alabama_Jeep
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Engine: Renix 4.0L Inline Six
Default Rugged Ridge XHD Ultra Seat Installation Help

I just purchased those seats and I'm running into the same trouble. I see that you experienced this over a year ago. What did you learn during installation that could help me, or did you not install the seats. Please let me know. This sucks. Everything I'm trying doesn't work.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Web search says get some flat stock & fab up your own mount, refer to the original seat/mount for specs.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

My web search says to leave your Jeep alone and fab up a frame to use the new seats as lawn chairs.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:55 PM

I figured it out. No, I didn't use them as lawn chairs...

First I tried, then I cursed, then I tried again and cursed some more. It was that last bit of cursing that seemed to do it. Seriously, though, here is my process:

1. Remove the original seats from the car.
2. Remove the original seat bracket from the seats.
3. Remove the rocker adjustment handle. You can still adjust without it. If you leave it on, it will impede the movement of the seat.
4. Saw off a good three inches of the "slider" adjustment handle and de-burr. You can still adjust, it's just shorter. If you skip this step it will impede the movement of the seat. (You can dip this part in Plasti-dip if you want to be fancy, but I didn't).
5. Don't follow the included instructions at this point because they are flat out wrong. The bent up portions of the included brackets should point inward on both sides. If you point them all in one direction (like the instructions tell you) it doesn't work because the footprint will be wrong. Both seats are exactly the same at this point, too. There is no difference between the two.
6. Line up the fixed studs on the original seat bracket with the (still loose) brackets included in the kit and use the original nuts and bolts to tighten down.
7. Tighten down everything at this point.
8. Reinstall in the car and replace original trim. It all will fit.

The result are some awesome seats that sit about an inch higher than stock. That part is a little annoying, but they should settle in time and be the same as the old seats. Overall, I'm happy I did this, but they could have included some better instructions and pictures. Hopefully I help someone in the future with this set of instructions.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've sold a few but haven't been able to get any feedback on them.
Glad you posted this!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM

The only thing I forgot to mention was that the hole patterns on the bottom of the seat that they tell you to use in the instructions are also wrong. The holes they say to use just do not exist. No worries, I didn't have to drill or anything. I Just used the holes that worked to fit the footprint of the stock bracket. They need to update their instructions, because it is a frustrating experience for the consumer.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter In line ^

Im running into same issue - there was no indication that the XHD Ultra seat was designed for straight brackets, not rocker style. My rig is a 1993 Sport with the rocker seats.

How did you compensate for the rear bracket of riser being at slanted angle? I was able to run the bolt partially in, and tighten it some, but don't see a way to make it flush. Is there some sort of angular spacer that could be put in?

In worst case, Ill hit junkyard for straight version of the riser and just swap, though in my area, seat assemblies tend to be snagged within a few days of vehicle arrival.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter In line ^

I contacted a Rep at Rugged Ridge, and got some better details.

Here is what he said about installing to the Rocker frame:
Over the years of XJ production, Jeep changed the seat brackets multiple times. We know of at least 3 different styles. The rocker style you are referring to will require modification to the provided seat brackets. You can use the aluminum pucks and cut them at an angle to match the rocker style seat mount or you can use the Z brackets and bend the one side to match the contour of the seat mount.

We installed these seats in a 1992 (I believe) XJ that had the rocker style seat mounts but this was years after the seats were released so those photos are not in the instructions.

The lever will be up against the seat but you should still be able to move it.

I have attached a picture of the seat brackets installed on the half moon seat brackets.

Here is picture he sent showing install to rocker frame:

RuggedRidge Ultra seat mounted to rocker frame. Provided by Rugged Ridge tech support.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

how are the seats compared to stock seats?
firmer?