Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is "rough country" a good brand name?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Is "rough country" a good brand name?

So I have a stock 97 Cherokee with bad rear springs. So I figure what better time to start looking at lifts. I have a line up on a 3inch lift by rough country for 250$ complete and new. I was quoted by a buddy that something like that could run me $1500!!! So my question is, Is this a bad investment? Will I have to make repairs down the line? or should I spend a little more on a better brand? P.S I don't have $1500 to drop into a lift kit! Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, Im still new to the forums.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4L

they are low end. youll get mixed reviews from people on their RC lifts.

if you dont plan on wheeling the hell out of your truck then go for it.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Rough country is pretty good, it's what i'm running on mine. 250 isn't a bad price for a 3 inch lift. For that price range, rough country is pretty much where it's at. Depending on what you want to do with it, I would go with the 4.5 inch lift (depends on how much it is, and like i said, how much you want to "do" with your rig. But just my opinion). the 4.5 seems pretty standard for alot of people considering it's not too high, you can run up to 32-33 inch tires with it and you have a good base if you wish to go higher. But all in all - RC is a pretty good, standard brand. There are better companies out there though, but do get pricier. That said, there's a rough country rep on the boards and will offer a discount
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

For my RC 3" I went with the series two and in the end with shipping cost at about $370. I also know 2 others running the same lift. I personally like it, everything works, as does for my brother who had his for over a year now. no complaints.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: inline 6 4.0L

their coil springs are good...their bushings, leaf springs, and joints are junk. and with that price your only looking at an add-a-leaf. quoting what you said your leafs you have are already bad, and your adding a leaf that will start to sag soon after you install it. if I were you Id go ahead and check out rustys, Rubicon Express, or Iron Rock Offroad for a decent price/ good quality leaf spring.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine for about 6 months. Seems fine. Bushings haven't **** out on me yet. When/if they do I'll still be saving money over the more expensive kits. :P

Get the full leaf packs OP, if yours is sagging bad that AAL won't last long.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DaveVmax
they are low end. youll get mixed reviews from people on their RC lifts.

if you dont plan on wheeling the hell out of your truck then go for it.
Yeah I work at central4wd and we don't carry them cuz they are so unreliable. Whenever I do work on them its always the same, bushings, shocks and control arms. In the ling run you'll put more money into a RC lift then what you'd spend on a Rubicon Express, that is if you wheel.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn_XJ
Yeah I work at central4wd and we don't carry them cuz they are so unreliable. Whenever I do work on them its always the same, bushings, shocks and control arms. In the ling run you'll put more money into a RC lift then what you'd spend on a Rubicon Express, that is if you wheel.
I'm putting that to the test. I'll let you guise know if I have any failures. LOL.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I had the same question and this thread helps. I was looking at Rusty's and kind of leaning towards them.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wifin
I had the same question and this thread helps. I was looking at Rusty's and kind of leaning towards them.
Rustys are good! Avoid their track bars though they are prone to snap
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4L

Rustys has crappy customer service and horrible shipping prices. If you go with RC call them ask for jason tell him your on here and he will hook you up.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by bnkk
Rustys has crappy customer service and horrible shipping prices. If you go with RC call them ask for jason tell him your on here and he will hook you up.
Never had a problem with them and shipping was only $20 for 2 leafpacks that's really fair
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 classic
Engine: 4.0!!

Next door neighbor snapped his rusty's track bar. RC is good as long as you take care of maint. grease the bushings and what not but with every lift you sould do that. i have the 6.5 long arm RC and wheel the hell out of it and have no problems. their customer service is great too. take the extra money you save from going with rc and buy more parts.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

as others have said asking bout rough country will get you mixed reviews...sometimes from people who have never actually run any rough country product.

Personally ive had the rouch county 4.5" lift with full leaf packs for 7yrs, dont go AAL...thats what cheap ****s do and then they **** and moan that RC is crap cause they were too cheap to go the proper route once the AAL settles and they end up back at square one.

I have wheeled the crap out of it and put on lots of miles on it and its never given me any issues, it is a rougher riding kit...but i didnt get a jeep for the smooth ride.

The shocks were not the best but again i didnt care too much so i ran em till the seals started to go[had a ripped boot and a bunch of crap collected inside and sped up the process], i have since replaced them with bilstein 5125s and couldnt be happier.

As for the having to put money into the RC kits ive never had to replace anything that didnt wear out from natural causes, and yes i do wheel it hard along with LOTS of crappy washboard logging roads especially during hunting season, and washboard is one of the worst things for suspension more so then wheeling.

**Now for input where i have no first hand experience**
As for the joints on the long arm kits, yes the first generation kits were known for failing but RC took note and went with a different joint and anyone ive talked to with the newer generation kits or replacement joints havent had any issues.

To finish RC is a great bang for buck and id say go for it, keep in mind being a 96+ XJ you will more that likely need to do a SYE as well because 96+ are more prone to vibes thanks to the lack of a tail cone on the tcase, and as i said above get the full spring packs they dont cost that much more maybe $200 tops depending on where you buy from

Last edited by mud-dog27; 01-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LongArmXJ
Next door neighbor snapped his rusty's track bar. RC is good as long as you take care of maint. grease the bushings and what not but with every lift you sould do that. i have the 6.5 long arm RC and wheel the hell out of it and have no problems. their customer service is great too. take the extra money you save from going with rc and buy more parts.
And I quote myself "they are good except their track bars" ....

Quick Reply: Is "rough country" a good brand name?