Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller rockers

So I seen a video today trying to say roller rocker arms gain 20+ hp is this true I find it hard to believe but I would like to know if it's worth the money.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

Originally Posted by lild
So I seen a video today trying to say roller rocker arms gain 20+ hp is this true I find it hard to believe but I would like to know if it's worth the money.
So the video you SAW was potentially correct assuming every other thing in the engine is in tip top shape and probably has other performance parts on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Default Fresh

Well I have a fresh rebuild, with a port and polished head, heavier valve springs, bigger cam, header, and a few other new things, next i was looking at injectors and maybe roller rockers. If it's worth the time and money.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

Originally Posted by lild
Well I have a fresh rebuild, with a port and polished head, heavier valve springs, bigger cam, header, and a few other new things, next i was looking at injectors and maybe roller rockers. If it's worth the time and money.
I'd say that with your application, definitely yes.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

20 hp sounds a little excessive...but it can't hurt.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The rocker arms are a simple lever. The ratio between the point the lifter presses to the pivot point and the point the rocker presses on the valve increases the distance the valve is opened. Follow me? Here's a link to better explain what I mean: http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/...atio+Explained Increase the ratio, increase how much the valve opens.

That said, the roller end simply reduces the friction in the drivetrain. That's definitely good, but doesn't increase power. Do not buy roller rockers in the same ratio as what you have because you will see no power increase. Before buying a higher ratio, verify you will not have clearance issues. I am not sure about jeep engines, haven't messed with them before, BUT I know LS1s you must be VERY careful with the amount of lift on a cam and higher ratio rockers because you can slam a valve into a piston. The correct way to identify clearances is to put clay on the top of the piston, rotate engine, and check for impressions in the clay. There are other ways to check for clearance, I suggest Google.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Been there...done that (clay checks)

Gotcha....but the original post mentioned nothing about changing the ratio too.....my comment was on just using roller rockers to get rid of the friction and gain a slightly stiffer rocker assembly.

Changing the ratio too can add hp......until ya smack a piston top....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I know the OP didn't mention a ratio change, I wanted to educate if he was unaware or anyone else reading. It is my understanding changing to roller rockers (same ratio) will net a more reliable valve train but will not net noticeable horsepower increases. To net horsepower you must increase the ratio also.

Many modifications people neglect to mention important details. I feel this may be one of those situations. If someone claims noticeable horsepower increase from roller rockers, I believe they changed the ratio also and neglected to mention it. Similar to changing to 4 hole injectors, was it the injector type change that increased power or the fact the old ones were filthy and leaking? Similar to claiming a Holley carburetor increased throttle response and power over a Rochester that was on the engine, when in reality they added a 600 CFM 4 barrel in place of the Rochester 2 barrel that's maybe 300 CFM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I know the OP didn't mention a ratio change, I wanted to educate if he was unaware or anyone else reading. It is my understanding changing to roller rockers (same ratio) will net a more reliable valve train but will not net noticeable horsepower increases. To net horsepower you must increase the ratio also.

Many modifications people neglect to mention important details. I feel this may be one of those situations. If someone claims noticeable horsepower increase from roller rockers, I believe they changed the ratio also and neglected to mention it. Similar to changing to 4 hole injectors, was it the injector type change that increased power or the fact the old ones were filthy and leaking? Similar to claiming a Holley carburetor increased throttle response and power over a Rochester that was on the engine, when in reality they added a 600 CFM 4 barrel in place of the Rochester 2 barrel that's maybe 300 CFM.

Which is why I said 20 HP may be a bit much.....same ratio...nill in the HP department, but you do get a more reliable valvetrain with less deflection

change ratio, maybe 15-20 hp, depending on other stuff.