Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my crappy Rough Country leaf springs

Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replacing my crappy Rough Country leaf springs

I bought a 3" RC kit about two years ago. After about a year the leaf springs started making a lot of noise. The bushings have slid, so now the main leaf on the pass. side spring rubs on the shackle and squeaks like none other. Drives me insane. It also creaks and the leafs on the side shift a lot. I had it up on a hoist yesterday and i could move all but the main leaf up and down about half an inch and make them rattle by shaking them.

So, anyway, I'm getting rid of this garbage and I want to buy a DECENT pair of 3" lift leaf springs. No, not add-a-leaf, I want full leafs for my 3" lift.

I'd replace the whole kit, but the coils and shocks are fine still, so I just want the leafs (and bushings of course).

I'm not looking for the most top of the line, but I am looking for good quality. Something that isn't just gonna come apart in the next year or so.

No more Rough Country garbage ever, that's for sure. I should have gone after them immediately when I realized the leafs were too short anyway... but once they were installed, it was too late, I had to have my vehicle driveable.

EDIT: I should mention that i don't off-road my XJ hard. I've never beat on it. I've flexed it on trails and such but never high speed craziness. I don't off-road it very often either, it's my daily driver but it does get used as an all-terrain vehicle.

Last edited by 77olds; 09-09-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Many others and myself all have had good luck with Rusty's leaf and coils. Their steering and arms might be lower quality but they do well in springs and other stuff. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...rear-pair.html
Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM

You linked me to 3.5" springs... I am OK with my rear end sitting up just a tad higher. That extra half inch shouldn't cause any issues, right? None are coming to mind, but I could be overlooking something. I'm running a 1" spacer on my t-case, 31" tires, adjustable track bar (irrelevant with rear springs, I know) but stock brake lines, control arms, etc.

Last edited by 77olds; 09-09-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by 77olds
You linked me to 3.5" springs... I am OK with my rear end sitting up just a tad higher. That extra half inch shouldn't cause any issues, right? None are coming to mind, but I could be overlooking something.
You better measure to see how much lift you actually have now. RC (as do most vendors) seem to be one the high side.

RE 3.5" may be cheaper after shipping.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM

If I were to guess, I'd say I'm sitting somewhere over 3" in the rear due to the fact that my shackles are vertical (because RC's springs are too short". I'll definitely measure it though.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Sorry, couldn't find a link to their 3" leafs though they sell kits with them. Maybe you can call them and see about buying their 3" leafs since it's not online. I have their 3.5" leafs and my shackles are just around 45* where you want them to be. Adding MJ shackles soon to get around 4"s
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Banned

Year: 1997

I have run many different lifts over the last 25 years of owning jeeps and I haven't been without one or two continuosly...

The best lift "I" have run and you will never hear anyone complain about them other than the cost is Old Man Emu...

I have run superlift, rancho, rough county, BDS, etc...and once I spent the $ on my first OME lift I will never switch to another. They have lasted the longest, best quality, and ride the best of any lift "I" have owned.

It's hard for many out there to make an educated answer about lifts unless they have a personal experience with various products. Most can't even explain the dynamics behind suspensions or truly a difference in shocks, valving, preload, dampening etc....they just throw a shock designed for many uses with the right length on to their cherokee or jeep and it's the best now..

It gets old reading this is the best..that's the best from people who have only run one lift...and when it's the only one they have run or could afford. Their best answer is this is better than my old worn out suspension and was all I could afford most of the time. so yes it is a day and night difference...

One of my KTM Offroad Rally bikes has almost 2K in suspension and we are continuously adjusting it based upon terrain, bike / rider & gear weight, etc...

My suggestion is do your research, if you can ride in various vehicles with lifts, and again...question your sources...start with questions of what others have you run, what did you like and dislike, and what terrain / driving habits do you have. What is your vehicle weight, how much added gear, tires etc...

OME is one of the few that actually ask you vehicle weight questions when purchasing their lifts..bumper? Winch? Etc... All,these make a difference in the lift choice and also OME sells shocks designed for your vehicle not a shock that just fits your vehicle.

Last edited by Jrozar; 09-09-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Rusty's 3.5 ich leaf springs are the ones that come with their 3 inch lift. They are over 300$ with shipping though. Rubicon express 3.5 inch leafs are awesome too, and you might be able to get a better deal on shipping with them.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

The Rustys leafs are a vg leaf and holds up well even to being heavily loaded, mine have been for over 2 years and still zero sag with them. Another good thing about Rustys are they are American Made all are not.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

RE full leaf packs will give you more that the advertised lift height, but they do settle over time and use.

You might think your shocks are fine/okay/good enough, but add a set of Bilsteins to your rig and you'll be amazed at how much better the ride is both on and off road.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat and my 5yr old RC 3" leafs are toast...and have to be replaced. I can't recommend any but have decided to go with OME springs and let us know what you decide. Maybe we can help the next poor fool that's thinking about a lift investment. Cheers~ and good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

I'm pretty happy that I went with Rusty's 3.5 inch full spring packs. They are super beefy, and raise it more like 4.5 inches until it breaks in a little. Fred is right, they are good quality, and made in the USA too
Old 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

You should call rough country. Their customer service is excellent (now at least) and while their products aren't amazing, they are (now at least) the right length. I've had their 6.5 springs on my jeep for a couple months now and they have done fine with the shackle in the right place. I've had them on my K10 for over 4 years and they have not sagged past an inch. You might have better luck with them asking for Jonathan. No use in spending any more money on springs if you can avoid it, unless your going with Alcans or OME. Sorry if I sound like a television ad, I have heard horror stories about them, but lately have been very impressed.