Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Removing ABS

Been searching like crazy cant seem to find the answer, anyone have any write ups on removing the abs system and upgrading to 95 or other booster to include what proportioning valve they used? 92 XJ with ABS
Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

I have to ask first... why?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 PM

Putting an 8.8 in the back and going chromos in the front and going 35's
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by paulhead
Putting an 8.8 in the back and going chromos in the front and going 35's
Well not going to be an easy job by any means. ABS systems consist of a "brain" box that takes the two lines from the prop valve and turns them into 3 separate lines.. frt left/frt right/rear.

Easiest way is get a t and run the 2 fronts into that and then run the rear to the prop valve.

Problem with this is that your going to have a lot of custom brake line work as well as electrical and a abs light fault.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 PM

well what I've gathered so far is to get a 95 XJ dual booster and master cylinder and a 96 grand Cherokee proportioning valve and yes, some handy work with the brake lines.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-15-2018, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

I have a 90. Never had ABS. BUT, I did swap in a 8.8 and upgraded the brakes. I used the WJ booster, and prop valve guts from a ZJ. Very happy with the brakes performance.

I don't believe removal of the ABS system will be very difficult, especially if you have the ability to swap in an 8.8. Are you doing the work yourself, to include the placement and welding of brackets on the axle?

If in your shoes, I would hit the scrap yard. Pull the lines from the prop valve to each wheel from another XJ (to include to prop valve) without ABS. Pull the booster, master, and lines to prop valve from a WJ. The only work with the lines you will have to do is removal of the bubble flare at end of WJ lines and double flaring that end to work with the XJ prop valve. Talking about prop valve, pull the guts from a ZJ prop valve while at the yard. They came stock with rear discs and will better handle the proportioning of fluid front to back.

WJ booster is easier to swap in, and outperforms the 95 XJ booster (or so I hear, no first hand experience).

While talking about brakes, have you grabbed your 8.8 yet? If not, I recommend a couple extra 8.8 parts to grab. Grab an extra passenger side hose, the stock driver side is a bit unwieldy. Then you will plumb the two calipers to the stock location to use the stock XJ hose. I was able to use preflared lines from Advanced. Used a hunk of wire cut to length of preflared line and figured routing to utilize line at full length. I REALLY dislike flaring brake lines. Also, grab the explorer parking brake cables up to the box mounted on the frame rail. Grab that too. Mount that box to your XJ frame rail and attach your parking brake cable from the lever to the cables there. You will have plenty of cable length then to droop out the axle.

I started w/ 31s and stock brakes, refreshed. Wouldn't lock the wheels, braking distance was terrible. Went to WJ booster, 8.8 w/ discs, and 33s. I can lock the brakes easy (not too easy), and the braking distance rivals my Civic. Very happy with the setup.

Last edited by bad_idea; 02-15-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I have a 90. Never had ABS. BUT, I did swap in a 8.8 and upgraded the brakes. I used the WJ booster, and prop valve guts from a ZJ. Very happy with the brakes performance.

I don't believe removal of the ABS system will be very difficult, especially if you have the ability to swap in an 8.8. Are you doing the work yourself, to include the placement and welding of brackets on the axle?

If in your shoes, I would hit the scrap yard. Pull the lines from the prop valve to each wheel from another XJ (to include to prop valve) without ABS. Pull the booster, master, and lines to prop valve from a WJ. The only work with the lines you will have to do is removal of the bubble flare at end of WJ lines and double flaring that end to work with the XJ prop valve. Talking about prop valve, pull the guts from a ZJ prop valve while at the yard. They came stock with rear discs and will better handle the proportioning of fluid front to back.

WJ booster is easier to swap in, and outperforms the 95 XJ booster (or so I hear, no first hand experience).

While talking about brakes, have you grabbed your 8.8 yet? If not, I recommend a couple extra 8.8 parts to grab. Grab an extra passenger side hose, the stock driver side is a bit unwieldy. Then you will plumb the two calipers to the stock location to use the stock XJ hose. I was able to use preflared lines from Advanced. Used a hunk of wire cut to length of preflared line and figured routing to utilize line at full length. I REALLY dislike flaring brake lines. Also, grab the explorer parking brake cables up to the box mounted on the frame rail. Grab that too. Mount that box to your XJ frame rail and attach your parking brake cable from the lever to the cables there. You will have plenty of cable length then to droop out the axle.

I started w/ 31s and stock brakes, refreshed. Wouldn't lock the wheels, braking distance was terrible. Went to WJ booster, 8.8 w/ discs, and 33s. I can lock the brakes easy (not too easy), and the braking distance rivals my Civic. Very happy with the setup.
WJ booster is easier to install? I thought the 95 was a straight bolt in
Old 02-16-2018, 02:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/br...194211/index2/

Cruiser has done both, 95 XJ and WJ. In the above thread he said the WJ setup was better. Hopefully he chimes in on which swap is easier. I know the WJ swap was easy, haven't done the 95 XJ swap to compare though.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

well what I've gathered so far is to get a 95 XJ dual booster and master cylinder and a 96 grand Cherokee proportioning valve and yes, some handy work with the brake lines.
I don't know why you'd need a Grand Cherokee prop valve.

Are you going rear discs?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I don't know why you'd need a Grand Cherokee prop valve.

Are you going rear discs?
yeah 8.8
Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 PM

yeah 8.8
Got your stock prop valve?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Got your stock prop valve?
On the abs jeep, yes
Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM

On the abs jeep, yes
Just change the guts of it with a 94 to 98 Grand Cherokee.
Attached Thumbnails Removing ABS-prop-valve-guts.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 AM

Just change the guts of it with a 94 to 98 Grand Cherokee.
well on my 94 YJ I did a dual diaphragm/MC swap (95YJ came with it) I used the stock prop valve but just removed the o-ring to get 50/50 brake force. I wonder if that would work.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Valve_Mod.htm

Quick Reply: Removing ABS