Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Battery for Cherokee + Winch + Offroad lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Recommended Battery for Cherokee + Winch + Offroad lights?

Hi All -

I'm planning on replacing my old battery soon, looking for recommendations for a battery that will also power my 9000lb winch and KC HiLites Lzr LED 20" light bar, 40" light bar (x2).

Also, how long can I expect a car battery to last? 10 years, 20 years or more?

Thanks!

DS-MATT
Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the battery. I've had interstates that lasted 12+ years. Most of them seem to have a 5 or 6 year warranty.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had good luck with the optima blue tops and also yellow.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 AM

Great. What are the differences between the different Optima batteries? I see Yellow, Blue, and Red tops on their site But there is no product advisor to explain which battery is best for my needs.

Also, how long will an Optima battery last for? Can I power all the items I want (winch, and 3 LED light bars) on just one battery that also powers the Cherokee?

Thanks!

DS-MATT
Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

A Standard "flooded" lead-acid battery usually lasts 3-5 years (some may last much longer but 3-5 years is a good average).

An AGM battery such as Optima, Die-Hard Platinum, etc. can last 10 years+.

I've heard mixed things about Optimas recently, since they moved production to Mexico it appears quality control has suffered and failures in a year or less seem to be occurring (granted this is covered by warranty but it is still a pain if your battery dies, especially if you are in a remote location).

For the Colors Red = Starting, Blue = Deep-Cycle / Marine, Yellow = Dual-Purpose (both starting and deep cycle). Yellow is probably best for a Jeep, giving good CCAs (Cold-Cranking-Amps) for starting and having an ample reserve to run accessories.

Die-Hard Platinums which are also AGM and are made by East-Penn/Deka (which still makes their batteries in the USA) are also a good (and possibly better) Choice.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by dmill89
A Standard "flooded" lead-acid battery usually lasts 3-5 years (some may last much longer but 3-5 years is a good average).

An AGM battery such as Optima, Die-Hard Platinum, etc. can last 10 years.
@dmil this is great info, thanks! Just what I was looking to find out!

Die-Hard Platinums which are also AGM and are made by East-Penn/Deka (which still makes their batteries in the USA) are also a good (and possibly better) Choice.
- Since I'm trying to buy Made In USA products it looks like I know what to get now! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

I'm going to second the DieHard AGM battery. That's what I will be going to in the near future along with upgraded battery cables from
Kelleyswip. I think his user name is 5-90. He'd be the one you want to talk to.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Vonguido
I'm going to second the DieHard AGM battery. That's what I will be going to in the near future along with upgraded battery cables from
Kelleyswip. I think his user name is 5-90. He'd be the one you want to talk to.
Yes. DS-Matt needs to visit this site.

www.kelleyswip.com
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Year: 1996

to be honest most mechanics have told me a battery is a battery. obviously a deep celled one would be better but also normally alot more expensive. i just go thru the cheap autozone ones every 3-4 years and they all come with atleast a 2 yr warranty. as long as the alternator is working properly you shouldn't have a problem i run 6 aux lights and a 95000 winch everyweekend.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by dirtyjerz
to be honest most mechanics have told me a battery is a battery. obviously a deep celled one would be better but also normally alot more expensive. i just go thru the cheap autozone ones every 3-4 years and they all come with atleast a 2 yr warranty. as long as the alternator is working properly you shouldn't have a problem i run 6 aux lights and a 95000 winch everyweekend.
Unfortunately, that's not true about batteries being batteries.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by dirtyjerz
At AutoZone you can buy Optima batteries I've bought several there. I don't run then in any cars or trucks, warranty to poor. I use them for Ecomm radio use only in a stack 10 of them.

For my XJ and the Grand Cherokee in my signature I run "Only" AutoZone's top of the line batteries with a 84 mo. warranty. Excellent warranty with good specs and holds up for off road (so far) with a 3 yr free replacement then prorated. I have a 9.5 winch and 12 lights,2 fog, 6 Hella Black Magic's, 2 side lights plus 2 rear Hellas for backup and work lights.

I would suggest a larger alt. with upgraded wiring from kellyswipe to help carry the extra load.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Diehard, Optima, Interstate, all made by Johnson controls. More than likely just about any battery you buy will be made by Johnson Controls. They are also the 100% supplier to Walmart.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am recommending the Sears:
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...9&blockType=G9

I have personally purchased this for my Jeep after ditching a Yellow Top Optima
I have also used these batteries in my Ford SD diesel without fail, LAST SET I ever bought for it
They r worth the price!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I've had two batteries since I put this Jeep together in 2009... A recycled Optima red-top, and a AutoZone yellow top. The remanded Optima lasted for 3 years with subwoofers, KC lights, winch and all. Only died after taking it to a shop to trace an electrical issue. The shop took 3 weeks and tried to replace the computer/fuse box etc. before I took it somewhere else who found the wire that was clipped. In any case, the shop killed it- Tried to sell me a new one. Might still be going otherwise. Haven't had a problem with the AutoZone one yet.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I would suggest a larger alt. with upgraded wiring from kellyswipe to help carry the extra load.
What cables should I upgrade? The progress for these mods will be as follows:

1) Replace old battery in my XJ. (Planning on doing this today)
2) Add in a 9500 LB. Winch (within next 30 days)
3) Add on a 20" KC HiLite Lzr LED bar onto my Smittybilt XRC Bumper Bull Bar (within next 30 days)
4) Add on a CB radio (within the next 90 days)
5) Adding on front and back 40" KC HiLite Lsr LED bars to my jeep roof basket (within next year - still need to buy the basket and the lights which will cost about 3 grand so I'm spreading out my spending)

I also plan to aire these in with rocker switches from: http://www.otrattw.net/Contura-V-SR/

I can get custom made switches from otrattw.net (or at least I've seen that on posts from other jeep forums), so I plan to make my own switch graphics.

Thanks for the advice!

DS-MATT

Quick Reply: Recommended Battery for Cherokee + Winch + Offroad lights?