Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shackle problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear shackle problems

So i bought a 2" lift with rear shackles and having a hell of a time removing the stock ones. So on the driver side i have a stripped nut that needs to be removed from the frame and leaf spring bushing needs to be replaced. I had to cut the shackle in order to remove it. Passenger side is gonna have to be cut out as well. I did a little research and looks like im gonna have to cut a hole to remove the nut. Anyone know if the nut will just fall out or am i gonna have to break a weld loose to get it out of there. Any tips or pics of this being done would be great.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Easiest way to get to that nut is to remove the rear bumper. On the back of the crossmember you'll see two round indents between the bolt holes, cut those out and it opens the back of the frame rail up to give you plenty of room inside the frame.

Did you strip it or break the weld loose from the frame? If it's broken loose from the frame there's enough room to get a shallow socket in over it. It's only held on by a tack weld so should be able to break it off with a socket or wrench if you cut the bolt off as well.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

as 5 speed says try a breaker bar first. I wouidnt hold your breath on pb blaster, i dont even use it. Ive DROWN bolts in acetone/atf, not going to work any magic. If something breaks or needs to be cut off youll need a welder. If the bolts budge but are hesitant you can work them loose, tighten a little, loosen more....., in this pb or any liquid woud work well as lubricant for ease of turning, but only if its already moving. A damn big impact might be nice to shock load, but ide assume the shop would have tried this. try the breaker bar and cheater if needed. it should budge.

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 09-12-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I just purchased a 1986 Toyota RV and tore it completely apart down to the frame to rebuild it. As I get under it sometimes I look at the leaf spring situation underneath and it just looks a bit ****ty to me. I think there is way too many leaves and it just looks like it's been Jerry rigged together over the years. I know that leaf springs eventually get worn out and people add leaves to strengthen it up but Ihave no idea how it is supposed to look or if people have done stupid things to it. I just have no idea. I'm hoping someone can explain what is going on and what they would do to fix it if necessary. Also there is a block that the shackle is attached to in the rear that looks like it's could have been added by someone.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf
Old 09-12-2020, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This thread is almost 8 years old.