Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 XJ build

Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2000 XJ build

What's up y'all, starting to get going on my build so I figure it's a good a time as any to make a thread. It's a 2000 Cherokee 4.0l with 140k, and the np231 transfer case. Purchased it bone stock a little under a year ago. Here are a few pics of her:

And my buddies Colorado

so it started out bone stock, had the usual rocker rust and rust on the rear quarter panels. I started out by throwing on some 31 in bfg all terrains, and being stance crazy as I am threw spacers on and took the fenders off😂 I then got 2 inch coil spacers and fabbed shackle drop down brackets and purchased adjustable shackles. I drove it through the winter (here in Michigan they can be pretty crazy) and now that it's spring I'm pretty excited to get to work on it.
got a steal on a set of 5 33x12.5x15 bfg all terrains and got em mounted with a little trimmin.
and that brings me to the present.

Last edited by Heep_xj; 04-28-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the CF and to XJ ownership Heep_Xj !

Nice looking XJ as is.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
Welcome to the CF and to XJ ownership Heep_Xj !

Nice looking XJ as is.
Thanks! I apologize if I don't completely know how the forum works yet but my brother used to be very active on the forum, you may know him, @Eaglexj.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 PM

So my plan is to get it leveled at about 4 inches of lift, tryna keep it low COG seeing as how my end goal is to have something I can bomb around the dunes at silver lake sand dunes. My leaf springs are super bad s shaped, so my plan is to build a bastard pack for the rear with S10 springs and aim for 4 but whatever I get in the rear I will level the front to. I would really like to keep it low enough that I don't need a SYE or transfer case drop. Yes the 2000 and 2001 models did come with a low pinion d30 😣 but not to fear I have already started a hp d30 build. Im going to doit end by end so once I have the rear springs in and decide how much lift I need to compensate for I plan to get cavfab steering and perhaps a small truss on the new d30 which will go in with adjustable control arms. I plan to Fab bumpers and a roof rack based off of my brothers threads, and also Fab rock sliders and get rid of all the rust😥.

my brothers Fab work was pretty good for him being 17 at the time😬.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM

That cool maybe will run into you at silver lake get there a few times a year with the SXS and now the jeep will keep an eye out for you !
Old 04-29-2019, 09:05 PM

Yah for sure man if you see me drop by and say hi I love meeting new people in the Jeep community!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM

You going to the blessing of the jeeps this weekend?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Not sure Im not sure I have ever heard of that actually where about is it?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Default Electrical issue?

Hey so haven't posted in a little while, but two days ago I was flying down some two tracks enjoying my new much needed front bumpstops, when I went through a couple puddles. They weren't very deep at all but did throw some water over the hood and sprayed a decent amount. The last puddle I drove through was the biggest but still no where near the deepest I have ever gone through. About a minute later my gauges went crazy shooting all over the place and most the lights came on on the cluster and immediately following the engine cut out. I threw it in neutral and rolled to a stop. I turned it over a couple times until it started and I let it idle for about a minute.i then got on the main road and started home thinking it was just a mishap but didn't wanna take any chances, and about 5 minutes later same thing happened and it cut out. I kept doing the above steps for about ten minutes until I got to a gas station 3 minutes from my house where I rolled in because it cut out AGIAN. I took a look at it and sprayed all the main plugs with wd40 including the PCM. Ended up having to trailer it 3 minutes to my house because I couldn't get it that far. But the weird thing is at the gas station I got it idle for at least 15 minutes but right when I put it in drive bam, it would cut out. I let it dry for two days and still it sits not wanting to run. So far I replaced the throttle position sensor and crankshaft position sensor( massive PITA to get to) and almost no change. Although when I put the throttle position sensor in I did get in improvement to where I could put it in drive without it dying I even was was about to pull out of my drive way when, yep you guessed it, it cut out and wouldn't start up again😣 I'm really discouraged because me and my brother can't figure out if it's the PCM that got fried( we took it apart and it looked to be ok) or if it's a bad sensor somewhere but it would be pretty coincidental to happen right after spraying water up in there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:09 PM

So turns out the last guy before me did a bad soldering job on the speedometer sensor.... The three wires were touching creating a ground and shorting the whole system out. What a PITA to narrow down but in the end it's always fun to work on the Jeep. 👍
Old 10-20-2019, 09:27 AM

What's up guys, haven't posted in awhile because I kept putting off the lift kit..... Finally got it all on!
about 5 and 1/4 in the front and 6 in the back. HP Dana 30 swap fully gone through with gussets on control arm mounts and cavfab steering. RE springs front and back with Bilstein 5100's. Full SYE and transfer case gone through with a rebuilt stock front driveshaft. Rides pretty stiff but it's a good stiff seeing as how I don't have away bars. Some bumpsteer because my geometry is off, need to get a new trackbar because the Rusty's is pretty old. Oh yeah I built my own cowl hood too.

The following users liked this post:
thetastelingers (10-21-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Nice Jeep but every time I meet someone with those lights I get blinded as the light distribution is terrible. Projectors are the only way to go for low beams.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by goes2fast
Nice Jeep but every time I meet someone with those lights I get blinded as the light distribution is terrible. Projectors are the only way to go for low beams.
Haha yes I realized that from a couple buddy's, that's what I plan to do.
The following users liked this post:
goes2fast (10-20-2019)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Been along time since I posted on here, the jeep changed alot but has kinda been on the back burner. trying to focus on it more. I got so bored during quarantine last spring that i decided to chop the ole xj! spent a whole lot of time on the bondo and tig welded the hatch in. I plan on building a rear tire carrier/ tailgate and have some ideas for storage and onboard air that will all be inn the back. I also threw on a cavfab OTA trackbar to go with the one ton steering and that helped make the front end deel alot safer especially for not needing a steering stabalizer anymore. fixed some door rust and at that point the jeep was mostly bondo and primer so i sprayed it flat white which turned out awful and im definitely going to do more body work and respray it. plannong on some long arms soon seeing as how short arms at 5 and 1/4 inches of lift rides like a lumber cart. I will post some pictures later of how its sitting now.