Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear end shimmy?

When at around 45-55 mph and letting off of the gas the entire rear end will will move around like I had hit a patch of black ice but I know I didn't hit black ice. I have the d35 with 3.07 gears I believe and 31 inch tires 4.5 inches of lift any ideas would be great cause I am fresh out
Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

What was used to lift the rear?

What have you checked so far?

Last edited by Constantine; 01-07-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:11 PM

I believe it was the s10 bastard pack lift and I have checked all my bolts on my leaf springs and checked my rear wheel bearings just buy wiggling the mounted wheel
Originally Posted by Constantine
What was used to lift the rear?

What have you checked so far?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, now help me understand the moving around.
You let off the gas and the back moves uncontrollabley
Like it's on something slippery?

Are there any lift blocks installed?
If so and they look like the greyish aluminum blocks from autozone, remove them immediately.
Do you still have the factory shackles?

Otherwise, if you think all associated leaf spring bolts and u bolts are tight, and leaf spring bushings are good, check to make sure your shocks still function.
Also, I'd check the spring hangers and the shackle box to make sure they are still properly attatched to the unibody.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:10 PM

There are no lift blocks and the shocks have a little bit of play at the mounts maybe a quarter inch? And when letting off of the gas the rear end will shift left then right it was enough to make me fishtail on snow covered streets also I am not sure about the factory shackles but I believe I do still have them the rest I will check in the morning that k you for the help
Ok, now help me understand the moving around.
You let off the gas and the back moves uncontrollabley
Like it's on something slippery?

Are there any lift blocks installed?
If so and they look like the greyish aluminum blocks from autozone, remove them immediately.
Do you still have the factory shackles?

Otherwise, if you think all associated leaf spring bolts and u bolts are tight, and leaf spring bushings are good, check to make sure your shocks still function.
Also, I'd check the spring hangers and the shackle box to make sure they are still properly attatched to the unibody.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

By shock function, I meant make sure they still are still dampening.
You can unbolt them from the axle and push/pull on them and see if there is resistance.
It seems to me like your springs aren't being controlled upon weight transfer unloading, or maybe structural damage not letting the spring control the vehicle like a hanger or shackle box is loose from the body.

Also check for broken leafs.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 AM

My leaf springs are separating a little bit could that be the issue? The retaining hardware the po used were shotty. If I remove the springs would I be able to get them to settle back right? I am also planning to put a zone lift on soonish because of this issue. No leaves are broken but like I said they are separating I will check everything else Monday morning
By shock function, I meant make sure they still are still dampening.
You can unbolt them from the axle and push/pull on them and see if there is resistance.
It seems to me like your springs aren't being controlled upon weight transfer unloading, or maybe structural damage not letting the spring control the vehicle like a hanger or shackle box is loose from the body.

Also check for broken leafs.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Are they separating like this?
If so, I'm not going to say that it's normal or okay but it's common for them to lay together like thay with a bastard pack or when an Add-a-leaf is put in.
That's my pack immediately after installing a Rubicon express AAL.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

As mentioned, make sure all your bolts/hardware are tight.
*What condition are the spring bushings in?
*What does your pinion angle look like?
*When is the last time you serviced the diff fluid? If you need to service it, check the condition of the internals.

I know it seems like we are asking a good deal of questions but it can be a multitude of things causing this problem.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also look at the alignment of the rear axle. you may have a centering pin that shifted or the head snapped off causing one wheel to be to far forward or back word. The PO may not have used the correct hardware when re-assembling the leaf pack.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:48 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys... I appreciate the help but no they are not separating like that they are separating the other way sort of fanning outwards... The pinion angles are f*cked for sure I am going to be rebuilding the bastard pack and getting new shocks or if money allows I will get a full RE leaf pack. also the diff fluid is dark and smells bad but I am servicing it this weekend and no problem with the questions I just feel pretty bad about leaving you guys hanging for so long... The alignment of the rear axle should be okay....? I will look up ways to fix and check if it is messed up and hopefully I can get this crap sorted. I also haven't had the shimmy in a couple days now so maybe the jeep fix-it fairies came and helped me out