Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to make some modify!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ready to make some modify!

Finally I have got my jeep in a condition where I feel like it is ready to be play with (only thing that bother me is minor leak from rear main seal which I will get to... Well whenever I feel like lol)
Interior has been pretty much redone except for carpet and painting the dashboard (will try pull it out sometime next week for painting) and the interior lights (I plan on switch to LED) as well.

I already ordered Brown Dog motor mount. Am still trying to decide whether to get Ironman control arms or WJ control arms.
Plus I have my eyes on a very nice grill guard that I found at junk yard (not sure if it is a good idea to get it...)

So... I'd like to start installing things on it. I know I want to lift it a bit (I'm looking at 3" but no more than 5" maximum) Just because I like how it look. I also want to add few reinforce and armors on it.
I know many of those might need some modify as well.

I'd like to make my jeep as durable as possible and make it last as long as possible (I'm super gentle with it and very **** about keeping it in good shape! Almost to point of OCD) But I'd like to strengthen everything up a bit so I can feel safe when I find more places to offroad.

Also making it possible to go over speedbump without slowing down would be AWESOME!!!!!

So... Any advice on where to start or what I should work on first or anything would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I can put a list of all things I want to get if it would help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM

BTW my budget over span of roughly 6 months (out of those 6 months, I'll be working for about 3-4 months) would be around $2000ish
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Well, half your budget is gone on wheels and tires, the majority of the other half is lift, so Id say get a bumper with the remainder. And as far as speed bumps without slowing down, i learned the faster you hit them the less you feel them
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Last edited by NorCalCherokee7; 03-07-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Doublepost
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Hm... What if I add other grand to it? I can add another grand if it mean upgrading other things but that's the most I'd go.

If I buy a lift do I need to modify anything else or can I just put it on and thats it?

Sorry if this is such a newbie question... But I'm just really eager and want to learn as much as possible and do a good job instead of a crappy hack job.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

There is a button at the top of this page called "search".

Besides a good socket set, its the best tool to help you wrench on your own junk.

Read more, ask less. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you get your questions answered faster.

With that said, typically a 3 inch lift is the most you can go without having to change much. After that, you will get into control arm angles, slip yoke eliminators, longer, more expensive shocks, extended brake lines, etc.

Last edited by HYRYSC; 03-07-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

The search function on the website sucks, if you want to search type your question into google and type cherokee furum after it. But yeah after 3 youll need a sye or TC drop kit. Id reccomend control arms at any lift as the stock ones will limit your flex. Just do some research on kits, if you want to stay short arms it would prob be the cheapest, but longarms will ride a lot better and flex better.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Alright thanks. Sorry for not using search.
It is just I'm willing to spend money to make sure everything is good instead of just get the result right away then have problem in the future.
Will look into get a lift ASAP then go from there.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
The search function on the website sucks, if you want to search type your question into google and type cherokee furum after it. But yeah after 3 youll need a sye or TC drop kit. Id reccomend control arms at any lift as the stock ones will limit your flex. Just do some research on kits, if you want to stay short arms it would prob be the cheapest, but longarms will ride a lot better and flex better.
Hm... I think I'll stick to 3" lift then try to do longarms from there. Thanks! This is what I'm looking for! I think I'll pass up on Ironman control arms for now until I am ready for longarm kit.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Well you have to go at least 4" for long arms or theyll push the axel forward, unless you get custom ones but that would blow the budget, the the longarms are the control arms. Check out zone offroad, serious offroad, and IronRock, they all have some nice longarm kits