Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE Discos Install/Splined bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default RE Discos Install/Splined bolt removal

I just recently installed some Rubicon Express Discos on my XJ. It was pretty easy and I'm not doing a write up as there are already plenty of those.

I just wanted to share what I did to get the splined bolt out of the lower mount, since it seems that's the thing most people have problems with. I searched on here and saw some used heat, some beat on it with a BFH, and others used a press. I used a c-clamp with a large socket over the head of the bolt, kind of an improvised press. I tightened it pretty good with a cheater pipe. After that I gave the c-clamp a few light taps with a hammer and it popped out super easy since it was preloaded with pressure from the clamp. Also, since the socket was on the opposite side it didn't go flying through the air. It really surprised me how easily it came out.

Hope this helps someone!
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

I had one quick question, I have a 3" lift and the discos I bought were for lifts 2 -3 1/2". I've got them adjusted as short as possible and can't get the 15* angle the destructions say to shoot for. They do mean that the bar coming from the front of the vehicle to the link should be at 15*, right? How important is this angle?

I am probably closer to 30*-35*. There is a drop bracket on either side to lower the mounting position for my sway bar. If I remove it I can get much closer, but then the link on the driver side hits the mount for the drag link.

Thanks