Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on a lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Questions on a lift

Xj is completely stock, but not for long Just bought a used lift off of craigslist, guy thought he had an ome lift, so far I think it may be a 3.5" or 4.5" re superflex kit and ome shocks, Im leaning towards it being a 4.5" with all that it has. Either way, what I have are the coils, leaf packs and shackle, leaf plates and ubolts, shocks, lower control arms (fixed), upper control arms(fixed), extended brake lines and an adjustable tracbar. Basically everything that comes in their kit minus disconnects. My question is am I missing anything I may need besides Tcase drop? other relocating brackets? Also I have a set of sway bar disconnects that are Rubicon express ones i bought for my yj can I just use those on the xj? Im used to lifting yj's and this is the first time im getting deep into coils. Lifted my dads jk but that was just coils and shocks so that doesnt count. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by unclejimbo
Xj is completely stock, but not for long Just bought a used lift off of craigslist, guy thought he had an ome lift, so far I think it may be a 3.5" or 4.5" re superflex kit and ome shocks, Im leaning towards it being a 4.5" with all that it has. Either way, what I have are the coils, leaf packs and shackle, leaf plates and ubolts, shocks, lower control arms (fixed), upper control arms(fixed), extended brake lines and an adjustable tracbar. Basically everything that comes in their kit minus disconnects. My question is am I missing anything I may need besides Tcase drop? other relocating brackets? Also I have a set of sway bar disconnects that are Rubicon express ones i bought for my yj can I just use those on the xj? Im used to lifting yj's and this is the first time im getting deep into coils. Lifted my dads jk but that was just coils and shocks so that doesnt count. Thanks for any help.
I've got new RE 4.5 leaf packs and coils sitting at home that are getting ready to go on. If you have some pics, we could probably determine if they are indeed RE parts. Just piece of mind if you wanted to know. Also, I went ahead and bought some coil spacers for the front as well. Since I have 4.5" leafs with 1" Warrior shackles just in case it needs to be leveled out a bit.

As far as the parts list, looks like you have everything you need. I would think about having a SYE lined up and its possible you may need some leaf spring shims too. Every Jeep is different though.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Yeah I will do a sye after a bit still got my yj project to finish up. I'll post up some pics when I get off work assuming I can with now having only 2 posts.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Actually this might make it easier since I already posted here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2157465
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ Sam
I've got new RE 4.5 leaf packs and coils sitting at home that are getting ready to go on. If you have some pics, we could probably determine if they are indeed RE parts. Just piece of mind if you wanted to know. Also, I went ahead and bought some coil spacers for the front as well. Since I have 4.5" leafs with 1" Warrior shackles just in case it needs to be leveled out a bit.

As far as the parts list, looks like you have everything you need. I would think about having a SYE lined up and its possible you may need some leaf spring shims too. Every Jeep is different though.
That Jeep is gonna be TALL! I hear that Rubicon Express springs will SETTLE sometimes to over an inch above advertised height haha...Some claims of more! At least you know if it ends up taller than anticipated, you can probably (correct me if I'm wrong) put some shorter shackles on...But good thinking with the spacers just in case
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
That Jeep is gonna be TALL! I hear that Rubicon Express springs will SETTLE sometimes to over an inch above advertised height haha...Some claims of more! At least you know if it ends up taller than anticipated, you can probably (correct me if I'm wrong) put some shorter shackles on...But good thinking with the spacers just in case
Yea....I'm a little nervous.

I really wanted to stick with 3.5", but I got great deal on the 4.5" leafs and coils that I couldn't pass up. They are the extreme duty leafs as well so I have a feeling its going to sit higher than advertised when its put on.

I've been debating on selling it and starting over. We shall see.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:30 PM

Actually this might make it easier since I already posted here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2157465
Definitely looks like an RE leaf pack to me. They have 6 leafs per pack which is exactly how mine are setup. Also the hardware used to tie the leafs together and the bigger leaf spring bushing looks identical to mine.

From what I have found, RE uses different size bushings on their leafs than OEM or other aftermarkets. They try to force you to buy their replacement bushings which they charge a whopping $75+ dollars for.

Do a search and you can find several NAPA pt#'s and others that will work as replacement bushings that cost about $30 bucks to do both springs when you need it.

Looks like you got everything you need and it just needs to be cleaned up a bit. If you want to clean the leafs, ake a rotary wire brush tool loaded in your drill and break of any dirt, debris etc. I used the VHT chassis/roll bar paint on an old lift. It holds up against rust and other surface defects. They looked good when they were done.

Here is the lift I have been piecing together with the RE leafs and coils. The arms are actually RC. They were black, but I refinished them in silver to match. I'm probably going to sell the arms and move to a long arm system before this stuff gets installed. Solid lowers, adj. uppers.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Well atleast I got an amazing deal, wasnt wanting to go that high but oh well only plaid 500 for the jeep and traded stuff for this so epic win. Im thinking about trying to sell the uppers and go with adjustable ones or will these work just fine? Will definately look into spacers, how big of spacers 1.5"?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM

Well atleast I got an amazing deal, wasnt wanting to go that high but oh well only plaid 500 for the jeep and traded stuff for this so epic win. Im thinking about trying to sell the uppers and go with adjustable ones or will these work just fine? Will definately look into spacers, how big of spacers 1.5"?
Definitely a win on the deal you scored. You got solid parts. Looks like all RE stuff with OME shocks. Can't beat that.

On any Jeep I've owned that did not have long arms, I've always ran fixed lowers, but had upper adjustables. I like the upper adj. so the pinion angle can be set correctly. Never really had an issue running the fixed lowers with adj. uppers. Ran that setup on a few XJ's and a TJ from different companies (Superlift, Procomp, RC, RE).

As far as the spacers, I went with the Teraflex 3/4 spacer. If you leave the OEM isolator in place, it bumps to 1-1/4. I don't mind a bit of rake from back to front.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Good info, what would be a disadvantage to keeping the fixed uppers, besides keeping a correct pinion angle? Also, with the sway bar, I have a set of quick disconnects by RE that I had bought for my yj, decided the ride was fine with out a sway bar so ditched it. Will those disconnects work on an xj?