Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about running an SYE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Questions about running an SYE

Hi All,

So I was talking to a local off-road shop (which, by word of mouth, is reputable) about installing an SYE in the future, and they told me that in order for my angles to be correct, that they would need to cut and re-position the spring perches. Does this sound right for only a 3.5" lift? From my research, the way I understood it, is that adding shims would take care of this.

I honestly don't plan on going much higher. My ultimate plan is to be right around 4" (no more than 4.5") and run 33's. This will all be a little bit down the road though.

So long story short, is it really necessary to cut and re-position the spring perches to make sure my pinion angle is correct? I was hoping to have the shop install the SYE (a bit above my head), and then I could handle getting the pinion angles correct. But if the spring perches need to be re-positioned, I don't weld or have the tools to make that happen.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been running SYE with shims for about 18 months just fine. 3" lift with AA sye.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EngineeredBLUR
Been running SYE with shims for about 18 months just fine. 3" lift with AA sye.
What size shims, and how close is your pinion angle?

In all actuality, I really don't want to pay a shop to re-position my spring perches if it isn't necessary. But, I want my pinion angle to be correct, especially if I'm going up another 0.5" to 1" in the future.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Run, don't walk, away from that "reputable" shop. At 3.5" with a SYE and a double-cardan driveshaft you'll probably need 4* shims. Get a cheap angle finder and check the angles for yourself. It's easy to do and I believe there's a write-up on here somewhere on how to perform that check.

I would recommend checking the condition of your motor mounts and transmission mount beforehand as they, too, affect the angles of the driveline.

Last edited by 4WD4EVER; 07-28-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
What size shims, and how close is your pinion angle?

In all actuality, I really don't want to pay a shop to re-position my spring perches if it isn't necessary. But, I want my pinion angle to be correct, especially if I'm going up another 0.5" to 1" in the future.
Can't remember the shim size, but 4* sounds right. Your results may vary, and you should check your angles, not very difficult.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
Run, don't walk, away from that "reputable" shop. At 3.5" with a SYE and a double-cardan driveshaft you'll probably need 4* shims. Get a cheap angle finder and check the angles for yourself. It's easy to do and I believe there's a write-up on here somewhere on how to perform that check.

I would recommend checking the condition of your motor mounts and transmission mount beforehand as they, too, affect the angles of the driveline.
Ditto on this, they are scamming you. You may not even need an SYE at that amount of lift. Usually 4"+. The only time you should be remounting perches is when using an axle out of a donor that wasn't offered in the XJ, or if you are doing an insane amount of lift.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Perhaps I should back up. Do you plan on doing some really hardcore wheeling with this Jeep? If so, it may be wise to redo the perches due to the possibility of axle wrap. If not, then don't and then run away from the shop.

If they are effective communicators, they would have discussed this with you to find out what your needs and expectations are and not made assumptions just to create more work and hence, more dollars for them. A reputable business that has their customers best interests in mind will [B]always[B] discuss the customers needs/expectations before proceeding.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
Perhaps I should back up. Do you plan on doing some really hardcore wheeling with this Jeep? If so, it may be wise to redo the perches due to the possibility of axle wrap. If not, then don't and then run away from the shop.

If they are effective communicators, they would have discussed this with you to find out what your needs and expectations are and not made assumptions just to create more work and hence, more dollars for them. A reputable business that has their customers best interests in mind will [B]always[B] discuss the customers needs/expectations before proceeding.
Agreed, they should be talking to you and addressing your needs and wants. Sounds like you want a road rig that can handle offroad as well, with the amount of lift and tire size you stated...which, by the way, will make for a great daily driver, yet capable offroader.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks 4WD4EVER and roninofako!

You guys confirmed my thoughts, and hit the nail on the head about a daily drive and capable off-roader. My XJ see's mainly pavement and mostly expressway for that matter. This is the main reason I want to run an SYE. Unfortunately, and just for the time being, I'm getting a transfer case drop since I have minor rear DS vibes at low speed. I plan on making the SYE happen a soon as possible though.

They communicated pretty good actually, and ran my options past me, but that was the only thing that seemed off to me. I'm no expert, so I listened. But before making any decisions, I wanted to ask my fellow XJers what they thought.

Since I have you guys... how difficult is it to install a SYE? I hear people say it's not too difficult, but I feel like those are guys who have a bit more experience. I'm definitely mechanically inclined, but I don't want to screw up my transfer case.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

I did it myself with the jeep still on the tires. I got a teraflex SYE and directions came with it. Write ups on here.

GET LOCK RING PLIERS. I had snap ring pliers and they may work on snap rings lol, but I got stuck trying to get the lock rings out.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gunmetal_nightrider
I did it myself with the jeep still on the tires. I got a teraflex SYE and directions came with it. Write ups on here.

GET LOCK RING PLIERS. I had snap ring pliers and they may work on snap rings lol, but I got stuck trying to get the lock rings out.

So it really is that simple? Again, mechanically inclined, but a tad paranoid about screwing things up. Then again, saving money is always worth it. Not to mention doing work the work myself is satisfying!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
So it really is that simple? Again, mechanically inclined, but a tad paranoid about screwing things up. Then again, saving money is always worth it. Not to mention doing work the work myself is satisfying!
Yeah, it isn't hard. Follow the directions provided with whichever SYE you get, and you'll be golden. I got an AA SYE, and install was smooth as silk. Tons of write ups on this as well, and agreed on getting the right QUALITY tools for this, it will make your job so much easier. I have used low end snap and lock ring pliers, and from my experience, just buy a good set from the get go. Another member here has the sig "buy quality, cry once"...it is very true!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can weld, then anti-wrap perches are a great choice...but as others have already said, shims are fine.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks guys! That's a good rule of thumb for tools.

I guess my last couple question are, what's considered a quality set of lock ring pliers? And, do I need both snap ring and lock ring pliers for the job?

I was looking at the advanced adapters SYE too. Sounds like the best one around.

I'll be sure to watch videos and read write-ups a million times over before I start the job.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...hort-Shaft-SYE

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...it-XJ-TJ-YJ-LJ

Quick Reply: Questions about running an SYE