Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on long arms.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default question on long arms.

Hello all. Been out of the jeep game for a while. I picked up a 91 xj sitting on 4.5" rough country springs, and the crappy ironrock offroad 3-link long arms. at some point before I bought it, it took a substantial hit and bent the upper link on the driver side arm. Is there any one out there anymore that still sells the arms that will work with the iro cross member? Tnt doesnt seem to sell the arms by themselves any more. And ironman4x4 fab doesn't even list his long arms on his site anymore.
Attached Thumbnails question on long arms.-imag0020.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Call up IRO and tell them the situation if you're ok with going back to that same style. I'm sure they'll work with you
Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM

I would prefer to go with a regular 4-link radius arm set up. Really don't want to buy a complete long arm kit if i can get some arms that will work with this cross member.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Iron man 4x4 has them under custom links. Just gotta get the measurements for them
Old 03-18-2015, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Must have been a pretty ridiculous hit as those "crappy" IRO arms are thicker than Most everyone else's.

But here ya go!

http://staangsfab.com/products-1/jeep-cherokee-xj/

http://bleeoffroad.com/index.php/sus...ng-arm-upgrade
(would probably make you some- forum vendor)

These guys make it real easy to build your own- (also forum vendor)
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/

Serious Offroad/sexton Offroad make arms similar to what you are looking for. You could call them up and I imagine they might work with ya. (just need lengths)

IRO does sell them now without the castor adjuster(adjustable) and it would probably be cheap to just get the one arm. Might be really cheap if you tell them what happened.

If the IRO kit is an old one like mine, It uses RE large superflex joints so any longarm that uses a similar joint will fit.

Good luck! Welcome back.

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-18-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM

THANKYOU for posting that 3-link kit. I had already put an order in for a rock krawler 3-link only to get an email from the vendor saying that they were discontinued. So i figured if try to make the radius arms work. Is there anyone on the forum that has experience with the b-lee three link?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by Bluemax
THANKYOU for posting that 3-link kit. I had already put an order in for a rock krawler 3-link only to get an email from the vendor saying that they were discontinued. So i figured if try to make the radius arms work. Is there anyone on the forum that has experience with the b-lee three link?
Clayton also makes a 3 link.
Ive heard nothing bad about BLee.. Hasent been around for all that long. Makes some awesome bumpers.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM

I looked into Clayton and the synergy 4-link kit.Really not interested in dumping over a grand into a set of arms. My only concern about the b-lee is the axle side bushing. does it use the stock bolt? I dont know how your iro arms have worked for you, but when i bought this jeep that bolt, and caster bracket was mangled all to hell. I asked on there thread about these arms,hopefully someone gets back to me.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bluemax
I looked into Clayton and the synergy 4-link kit.Really not interested in dumping over a grand into a set of arms. My only concern about the b-lee is the axle side bushing. does it use the stock bolt? I dont know how your iro arms have worked for you, but when i bought this jeep that bolt, and caster bracket was mangled all to hell. I asked on there thread about these arms,hopefully someone gets back to me.
I have loved my IRO stuff and haven't destroyed them in a few hundred wheeling trips... Ive even snapped two d30 housings in that time with the same arms haha. I have contemplated taking them off and getting the TNT kit just for the belly skid but haven't so far. My only complaint with the IRO kit (and its probably my fault) is that I have to replace the bolts through the arms about once a year.. they just wear down and clank. Doesn't matter what I throw in there. Probably due to the bushings being shot in 150,000 miles lol.

IRO does make a "hd" option now for that side as well. A 5/8 instead of 3/8 bolt and some kind of joint. Not sure about the Blee kit but hopefully someone answers for ya!

Serious Offroad/sexton run at 750 but still, I understand just wanting to replace the one. I like full-tractions kit as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

The fact that it destroys bolt in its design and you're ok with that is baffling. Why would you rely on one 3/8" bolt to support your axle from rolling under your Jeep? Also, it's not helping that your upper is welded to the lower...

Lol, to each their own.

Last edited by 94XjSport94; 03-19-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
The fact that it destroys bolt in its design and you're ok with that is baffling. Why would you rely on one 3/8" bolt to support your axle from rolling under your Jeep? Also, it's not helping that your upper is welded to the lower...

Lol, to each their own.
It destroys bolts because (I believe) after 150,000 miles I haven't ever replaced the bushings. why would I trust it? Because it has never let me down. Everything will break under the correct (or incorrect) circumstances. Ive broke shocks, a driveshaft, and two axle housings around the IRO kit and have yet to break a single thing they have built. That is why I trust them.

The 3/8 has been fine. You also have every other part in your front suspension assisting in holding that axle in place. to roll backwards under your jeep, you would have to break your driveshaft/yoke or the bolts, snap your shocks, unseat your coil springs, destroy your steering and bend your track bar... Not going to happen man despite what you might think unless you are doing something that probably only 1% of wheelers do.

Best system in the world? No... probably not. Sufficient to do the task its put up against? In my case yes. I can't afford too many more axles lol.

On top of that, the do offer a hd option for the upper now (have for awhile)

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-19-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

I will add (I'm not unreasonable) that the ops obviously failed. That makes two now that I have ever seen and they sell alot of kits. Wonder what the guy was doing but nonetheless, it did fail.

I know you hate them haha. I would run their kit over any of the other ones even close to the same price range. BDS/Clayton/TNT/Full traction... yea ide go with one of them if I was to build another one. (TNT or full-traction for me)

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-19-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I watched a single upper radius arm/ wristed arms set up fail this weekend. You think coils and a driveshaft will support a 4500 lb rig and prevent the axle from turning? No.... It broke the upper mount, broke the yoke and u joint, and spun the pinion down at the ground. The ORI's kept it from fully rotating and breaking but still...

Typical defense, it hasn't broke yet so I love it. The inherent design flaws are what I have an issue with.

After it was in front of the trailer once we winched and chained the axle up so it could move.

question on long arms.-image-1029194532.jpg

Last edited by 94XjSport94; 03-19-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

Lol, to each their own.
I agree, IRO setup is insane. I'm not even sure why people even consider it. Spend abit extra and get something worth while.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

I watched a single upper radius arm/ wristed arms set up fail this weekend. You think coils and a driveshaft will support a 4500 lb rig and prevent the axle from turning? No.... It broke the upper mount, broke the yoke and u joint, and spun the pinion down at the ground. The ORI's kept it from fully rotating and breaking but still...

Typical defense, it hasn't broke yet so I love it. The inherent design flaws are what I have an issue with.

After it was in front of the trailer once we winched and chained the axle up so it could move.
It has not broken after 8 years of abuse, 150,000 miles, hundreds of trails from Louisiana/Texas to Moab to all over the place in the Northwest and even though tons of stuff has broken around it, it has held up fine is my defense. There is almost nothing on my Jeep I can say that about.

Interesting that in the one you just pointed out, The mount broke. First off, the bolt looks fine in that picture and secondly, how would a true 3 link have been any different if the mount ripped off the axle? It wouldn't have. Unless I'm missing something, I assume shody welding on the mount was probably the culprit?

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-19-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: question on long arms.